Blood Calling

Adelena

She stared at the gown she was to wear for the coronation. It was nice, there was no question about that, but the significance weighted on her most. Adelena had known that this day was coming for many days, but its suddenness made her weary. Her sister was becoming queen tonight. The sister whom she used to run about in the gardens with, muddying their dresses when they'd chase one another. In just a few hours, she'd be the first person who would have to swear loyalty to their new queen, pledging to obey her every command.

There was a knock and the maid who had just finished lying out the jewellery she was to wear hurried over to the door. "It is your sister, Your Highness," she announced.

Adelena rose from her chair as her sister entered her chamber, the guard that was her constant companion remaining in the hall. "To what do I owe this pleasure, dear sister? Or should I call you my queen, as it will be from tonight?"

"That is from tonight, not as of now. Besides, we shall still be sisters before I am your queen," Aralorn said, a smile on her face. "I just feel we have not seen one another much lately, and it is no secret that my coronation will keep me busy for many days after."

"We will see each other tonight, and spend more time together than Father said he spent with his brothers."

"Tonight will be very busy, and tedious and tiring, but mostly busy. I just wished to spend time with you before I take the crown."

"Oh, now I understand. You come to me for reassurance! You flatter me, Aralorn," she teased, smoothing a crease out from her day dress. "I am certain that Crorithin is smiling down on you today. I read my favourite book recently, and it says that only those righteous and of the land's blood gain Her blessing to ascend the throne. It is a peculiar way of referring to royal blood, but is apt for you. You need not worry about me in these coming days. I will always be here, so worry about the responsibilities you are gaining first. They will lessen and wane and then think of me."

Her sister shook her head and approached her. "You are always right," she said, drawing her in for a hug. "My worries are small but there to sway me in private. Somehow I knew seeing you would be beneficial." There was a sharp rap at the door and they drew apart. "That is my calling to prepare. I must take my leave."

"I understand," Adelena said and watched as her sister left the room. It was time for her to ready herself as well.

The maid helped her style her hair, bringing the strands up from her collarbone and tucking them into a small bun, fastened with a blue flower-shaped accessory. Once she had deemed her hair perfect, she dressed down to her underclothes and had the maid help her into her coronation gown, and once it had been fasten she held onto the back of her chair as the laces were pulled, bringing the bodice in tight. Tight enough so I cannot breathe, she thought as the laces were pulled tighter. The maid then tied them and went to fetch the jewellery.

She had just slipped on her first bangle when there was a knock at her door. Though she was unsure who it could be, her maid scuttled over to open the door and gasped when she did. "Your Majesty!" she stuttered, hurriedly giving him a curtsy and dropping her head.

"May I trouble my daughter with a walk?" he said, offering his arm.

"If it pleases you, Father." She dismissed the maid and took her father's arm as they began to walk away from her chamber. Her assumption that they were to head into the gardens was proven wrong when they continued down the hall rather than veering to the right and descending to the lower floor. "Father?"

"Hush. We are awaiting company."

She frowned but remained silent. They continued to walk without a word passed between them until they eventually came to a stop in front of a painting. Adelena wanted to ask her father who they were waiting for but knew better than to speak when he had already told her not to. She could remember when her mother had brought her before the many portraits that hung in their halls, showing her the various ancestors that she shared blood with. The very one they were stood before was a portrait of her father as a boy, along with his elder brother who had died in late childhood and his younger brother. His mother was also in the portrait, and from what she had been told, it was the only surviving picture of the woman.

That thought prompted her to speak. "Do you think Mother is watching us?" she asked, turning to look at her father.

"I very much hope so," he said after a few moments. "I am sure she would be proud of how you have grown, of how both you and your sister have become such beautiful young women."

"I wish she were here."

Before her father could reply, footsteps approached them and they looked to see Aralorn and her guard striding towards them. "Father, Adelena," Aralorn greeted.

"You were not followed?" their father asked, making both sisters frown. The guard shook his head. "I am afraid I do not have the best of tidings. I have it on good authority that during our festivities set to commence very soon, we shall come under attack. Now, do not grow alarmed, but I also have it on good authority that we do not have the loyalty needed to prevent it from occurring."

Adelena looked at him with wide eyes. "Surely not! Who would attack during a coronation?"

"It is imperative that you listen to what I have to say. I must remain here while you leave. There is a passage near to us that very few know of, and it shall lead you beneath the castle and allow you to escape beyond the grounds. Simone shall accompany you, but you must not reveal your identities to anyone. Trust no one but those you leave with, and whatever you might hear that is occurring within these walls must not stop you from fleeing Croris. You must head south and cross the border, there you must seek out the Thangiats. They are of your mother's kin and will provide you with shelter and protection."

"What about you?" Aralorn asked, stepping close and grabbing their father's hand. "You must come with us."

"I am still king. I must stay, as is my duty, and also to give you the time needed to escape."

"We cannot leave you!"

"You must!" he exclaimed, looking between the two. "I order you, as your king, to leave these walls and not return. It is for you own safety."

Adelena felt her words fail at the prospect of never seeing her father again. They had lost their mother at a young age, and now they were to lose their father to an attack. How could Crorithin have set this fate for them?

As their father was ushering them just passed the painting, Simone altered them to the presence of a lord at the end of the hall. They turned to see Lord Keslier stood there. "There is an urgency in the throne room, Your Majesty," he said.

"I shall be along shortly," their father replied curtly.

The lord did not turn back. "Is it important that you come now, Your Majesty." Then to Adelena's horror, he rested his hand on the hilt of his sword.

Simone stepped in front of them. "You will not threaten His Majesty."

There was the sound of a sword being drawn before Simone drew his own, leaving them to confront the lord. She looked at her sister and grabbed her hand in an attempt to comfort her when she saw the stricken look that had come across her features. "Come!" their father hissed, pushing them a little further down before turning to a tapestry and pushing it slightly to the side, revealing an already opened passageway. "It does not open from this side, so you will be safe once in, but you must go now!"

Adelena let go of her sister's hand and stepped into the dark passage. She turned only to see that Aralorn was still stood in the hall, staring down the hall to where the sound of swords clashing erupted. "Aralorn!" she whispered, stepping forward and clutching at her sister. Her eyes wandered down the hall and she pulled her sister harshly just as the lord drove his sword through Simone's side.

They stumbled into the passageway and with a heavy heart, Adelena shut the passage's door on her father.