You're Just a Boy Who's Afraid of the Dark

The cameras blind your eyes.

Gabe noticed the worn book Jenny had in her hands one Tuesday. Pride and Prejudice. And being the talker that he was, he couldn’t help but to comment on it.

“‘Those who do not complain are never pitied,’” he quoted, in his best attempt at a British accent.

Jenny looked up, astonished. “You’ve read this before?” she asked, raising her eyebrows.

“Yeah,” he replied, quickly. He was slightly embarassed to admit to it, but he’d actually read it back in eighth grade. Inwardly, he cursed his talkative-ness.

“Did you like it?”

“Not at all,” Jenny looked a little taken aback.

“Why?”

“I hate Elizabeth. She’s so ridiculous. This Darcy guy -who’s wrong at times, granted- is head over heels for her, and all she can think about is his exterior. She’s so wrapped up in her first impression of him. She can’t look past that, can’t get over that for so long. She’s not perceptive at all can’t figure out that he’s just hiding the truth, even though she’s supposed to be all ‘clever’ and stuff. And it sucks.”

“But she was justified in doing that, don’t you think? I mean, he wasn’t exactly the most obvious about his feelings for her, and was pretty cold and awful at times.”

“Sometimes, people need to look past their first impression of someone before they pass judgment on them. That’s all I’m saying.”

They proceeded on with their lesson, but Gabe’s comment stayed strong in Jenny’s mind.

Had Gabe meant something else when he said that?