You're Just a Boy Who's Afraid of the Dark

Bless your troubled soul.

Jenny was confused. She hated to think it, but her feelings for Gabe were worrying her. Everytime he leaned closer to her during their study sessions, her stomach did backflips and her heart fluttered in her chest. Everytime he smiled and laughed at something she said, her cheeks flushed, and she turned away nervously. But, as Jenny was a master at concealing things, she managed to act as though nothing had changed, and that she found Gabe as annoying as she had initially.

Gabe was slowly becoming smitten with Jenny. How her straight red hair fell around her face when she was concentrating, how she bit her lower lip and furrowed her eyebrows when she was frustrated. It just made him want to see her more. Unlike Jenny, he came to terms with these feelings, rather than avoiding them. But Gabe still felt like Jenny absolutely despised him, which only worsened the situation.

So Gabe started to flirt with Jenny, covertly but still openly. He teased her and touched her hand whenever he could. But she still showed no signs of changing her mind about him.

One Thursday, Gabe suggested they take a break. Jenny agreed tentatively, but inside, she was eager for a day off.

“So, what do you want to do instead?” she asked.

“How about I teach you how to dance?” Gabe replied. Before Jenny could refuse, Gabe grabbed her hand and pulled her down the hall to an empty classroom.

He popped a cd from his backpack into the boombox behind the teacher’s desk. Latin music, full of horns, maracas and a huge chorous filled the room. Gabe offered his hand to Jenny, and she accepted it reluctantly. He placed one hand on her hip and guided Jenny’s hand to his shoulder. It was his turn to teach.

They danced for an hour, and Jenny was improving. She hated to admit it, but she was impressed. This was something that Gabe clearly enjoyed, and was excellent at. Eventually, a slow number came on, and their pace slowed with it.

This made Jenny extremely nervous. Her palms began to sweat and her eyes met Gabe’s, which had a strange intensity. Then she realized: He was going to kiss her.

Gabe wanted to kiss her so badly. He didn’t care that she wasn’t cool, or popular, or whatever. But she was Jenny, and he really, really liked her. Now was his chance; if he didn’t do it now, he might lose his nerve.

And for a moment, Jenny almost let him. No, I can’t! Jenny, you can’t! She screamed at herself inside. Jenny did what her instincts were telling her. She let go of his hand and backed up a step.
“So, uh, thanks Gabe,” Jenny stuttered. “See you on Monday.”

She grabbed her backpack and walked quickly from the classroom, leaving Gabe alone and confused.
♠ ♠ ♠
Pleeeeaaase comment?
I'll love you forever.
Well, not really. But still.