Wait for Me to Come Home

I Only Wanna Talk To You

“I’m guessing you saw the picture then?” John stated as he pulled open the door, Isobel standing on the stoop, arms folded tightly across her chest, face like fury. She had left work early, telling her manager that she wasn’t feeling well before taking off to Jared and John’s apartment where they held band practice.

Emmie had followed her friend, driving so close to Isobel’s car that the poor girl was worried that Emmie was going to rear end her. Isobel could hear the friend abandoning her car on the edge of the street, her footsteps slapping on the side walk as she jogged up the drive.

“Yes, we need to talk” Isobel growled, stalking into the house, ignoring the boys that were sat in the lounge, a hush instantly falling over the room as the raven haired girl entered glaring at them as they looked at her before quickly averting their eyes.

“We can go to my room” John mumbled, motioning over his shoulder to a door further down the corridor, Garrett immediately started snickering, his arm wrapping around Emmie as she collapsed onto the couch between him and Kennedy.

Isobel turned to glare, cutting off Garrett’s snickers before turning on her heel and heading in the direction that John had pointed, throwing open the door before collapsing onto the edge of a bed, John choosing to take a seat on the small stool in the corner of the room next to a keyboard.

“What the fuck happened last night?” Isobel asked, cutting through the silence that had filled the room. It seemed that once the pair was alone they hadn’t known what to say, instead choosing to take turns at looking at each other before averting the gaze to somewhere else in the room.

“Well, it seems like we got married” John replied, one of his shoulders shrugging as he turned to grab the wedding certificate from on top of his bureau, waving it in the air.

“No shit, Sherlock. I saw the picture, but how did it even happen?” Isobel retorted, throwing her hands in the air before grabbing at her hair, pulling it away from her face and into a loose ponytail at the nape of her neck.

“I have no idea” John sighed, running a hand through his hair after dropping the piece of paper on top of the keyboard “We were joking about how you would be the perfect wife, and then it seems like we thought we would test the theory”

“It seems like the liquor got the best of us” he added as Isobel groaned, throwing her hands over her face as she collapsed backwards onto the bed.

“This cannot be happening” she groaned, rolling her body over to shove her face fully into the duvet cover, blocking out all sight of the room, she needed a time machine to take her back to last night.

“We can figure this out” John replied but this just made Isobel groan into the quilt even more before she pulled herself up into a seating position.

“No we can’t” Isobel complained, grabbing her hair and pulling it tightly into a ponytail, her hands rubbing at her face, smearing eyeliner and mascara all over her eyes. “You just don’t understand” she grumbled into her hands, her eyes trained onto the floor.

“My mother will have seen this picture, she will be pissed off enough that I got married without telling her, let alone marrying someone that I wasn’t even dating!” Isobel explained, gripping the pillow tightly that she had pulled into her lap.

“Belly, it can’t be that bad-”

“Marriage is a big deal. Big, big deal!” Isobel cut John off looking him straight in the eye, “We cannot escape this” Isobel groaned, her eyes welling up before a single tear rolled down her cheek. This was not what how she expected today to go.

“Well then we will do it” John stated simply, slowly wheeling himself across from the desk to the edge of the bed, his knees slightly bumping into Isobel’s causing her to look up at him, her face a mess from all the smeared make up and the tears.

“Do what?” she asked confused, her knees pressing against his, as he reached out his hand to take hers.

“We will do this marriage thing” he explained, shrugging his shoulders slightly with a crooked smile playing on his face “Might as well try it out since we agreed you would be the ideal wife” he added causing Isobel to chuckle slightly.

“Are you in this with me?” John asked, pulling himself up to his feet and offering his hand to Isobel. She looked at him for a second, taking in all the words he said and examining the way he looked at her.

“Yeah, we are in this together”

*


“So let me get this straight, you guys are staying married?” Emmie asked, looking at her best friend as though she was stupid. It had been a couple of hours since John and Isobel had decided what they were going to do. Once the decision was made then they spend the next couple of hours ironing out the minor details, trying to come up with an action plan. This is what they had then decided to present to their friends, who were now looking at them as if John and Isobel were crazy.

“Yeah” John stated with a shrug heading back into the lounge from the kitchen, passing Isobel a bottle of beer before taking a long swig from his own. Isobel smiled him a thanks, before turning back to the rest of the group. The guys had just stared at them, as if they were watching a show on the nature channel, whilst Emmie did all the talking, her voice getting higher and higher as the words had sunk in. “Why not?”

“Why not?” Emmie responded her tone full of disbelief “Why not? Because it’s a ridiculous idea! You two aren’t even dating, so why stay married. This is beyond crazy, Bells” Emmie stated, looking at her friend as though she was crazy. The two girls had known each other for over a decade and Isobel had never been impulsive or reckless like this.

“I know It’s crazy, you must all think that we have lost our minds” Isobel explained, draining the last of her beer and setting the bottle onto the coffee table, shoving her hands into her back pocket as she addressed the rest of the group.

“But we thought that we might as well give it a go, things happens for a reason and all that jazz so we thought that we might as well give it a shot” John finished also putting his bottle down on the table.

“I’m going to pack my stuff and move into Isobel’s place and we are going to take it from there. We would like it if you would all support us with this” John added as the guys seemed to nod accepting John and Isobel’s decision, Emmie however still didn’t look convinced.

“Well, I ended things with Mandy so I could use a place to live, mind if I take your old room?” Kennedy asked, looking at Jared and John who both shrugged.

“Fine by me” John replied, “Now let’s get some boxes and get packing”