Wait for Me to Come Home

Get In The Shower If It All Goes Wrong

“Do you want a beer?” Isobel called, heading into the kitchen and pulling the freezer door as she grabbed a beer that she had stored in their only a couple of hours later. Cracking the tops off she headed into the spare room where John was currently unpacking the contents of the boxes that containing his belongings, carefully folding the clothes up and placing them in the small draws that Isobel had found in a thrift store when she had first bought the modest sized house.

“Thanks” John smiled, grabbing the bottle from her outstretched hand and taking a long sip, allowing the cool liquid to trickle down his throat.

“Have you got enough room?” Isobel asked, hey eyes skimming over the room, nibbling her lips as she tried to ignore the gnawing feeling in her stomach that what she was doing was all wrong and that the pair should call off everything right now before they made massive fools of themselves.

“Yeah, it’s great thanks” John smiled again, placing the bottle on the side before continuing to unpack, “I should be done soon, I didn’t have that much stuff to move over from the old apartment.

Imogen just nodded, shifting her weight from foot to foot as she took another sip. “Okay, I’ll leave you to it and sorts some food out” she suggested, already part way down the corridor before she had finished the sentence.

“What are you doing, Is?” she muttered under her breath as she drained the last of her beer, placing the empty bottle on the side before rooting around in the designated takeaway draw, the sacred place where Isobel stored all the takeaway menus ready for when Emmie called round complaining that she was starving and needed fatty food immediately. “This is not one of your best ideas” she added, sighing as she rubbed her hands over her faced and tying her hair back into a bun on top of her head, pulling herself on the counter, looking out the window.

It was pointless having this conversation with herself, she was only repeating what Emmie has been saying to her for the past two days, wanting to drag Isobel to A&E adamant that something wasn’t quite right with her still going along with the foolish plan.

“Did you sort food out?” John queried, causing Isobel to jump, banging her head on one of the cabinets as she turned to look at him, cursing under her breath as she jumped down from her seat and headed to the opposite counter, grabbing the leaflets and passing them over to John. He flicked through them tapping his fingers on the counter as he weighed up his options: Chinese, india, Thai, Mexican, American.

“Colour-coded and annotated?” he grinned, raising one of the menu’s showing Emmie’s messy handwriting in the margins, some dishes highlighted in bright green and other sections crossed out entirely.

“We know what we like, saves making the same mistake twice” Isobel shrugged “You decide where you want to go and then order me anything that scored higher than a 7 out of 10, I don’t care what. I’m going to go shower and get changed” she added, heading down the corridor and into her room, closing the door behind her and closing her eyes.

She needed something normal and some simplicity to get through the craziness. Something to ground her. Pulling off her jeans and shirt she headed to her stereo, flicking quickly through her trunks of CDs, eyes scanning the titles quickly before stopping on The 1975 album. Pulling it out of the case and placing it in her stereo, cranking the volume as she waited for the music to start before continuing to the en suite, leaving the door open to allow the music to enter the room and to soothe her.

Turning to the bath she turned on the hot water, allowing it to slowly fill the tub before applying the bubble bath before turning to the mirror, eyeing herself with weary eyes, rubbing slowly at her face to remove the foundation, eyeliner and mascara that she had applied hastily that morning, before stripping off her underwear and heading for her bath.

Sinking into the water Isobel thought of what her mother would say, her sister, her father, her brother, Isobel, Garrett, her friends from work, what everyone else would say about what she had done. Sure at the time it had seemed like a good idea, and when they were bother sober had realised what they both had done it had seemed manageable, some easy task that was achievable.

But that was all before some guy, a guy she only knew from Emmie dating his band mate, had moved into her house and she felt like she was drowning, what was her safe place now left her feeling nervous.

Slowly, Isobel allowed the water and the music to soothe her and to slow down the worry and the thoughts that flittered around her minds, before slowly pulling herself out the water when she figured out that around 20 minutes has passed and she needed to get back out there before the food arrived.

Grabbing a pair of pyjama shorts and a taco bell freebie top, Isobel quickly towel dried before pulling on the clothes and leaving the room, just stepping into the kitchen as the doorbell sounded, the muffled voices of John and the delivery man barely heard over the sound of the microwave as Isobel warmed two plates before gathering some cutlery together for them to use.

“Pizza okay?” John asked, stepping into the kitchen with two giant boxes and a plastic bag slung over his arm. Isobel nodded, grabbing the bottle of Jack Daniel, a bottle of Coke and two glasses before heading to the living room as John followed with the plates and food, placing them on the table as Isobel busied herself making drinks, passing one of the glasses over to John in exchange for a plate.

“I didn’t know what to go for so I went for one meat feast and one ham and pineapple and then a load of fries” John explained with a shrug, his eyes trained on the slice that he was trying to pull out the box, the mozzarella stretching and stretching before finally snapping off.

“Sounds good to me” Isobel nodded with a small smile as she grabbed a slice for herself and taking a large bite. “This is weird isn’t it?” Isobel laughed, swallowing the pizza and taking a gulp of her pizza as John grinned, swallowing his own bite.

“So weird” he agreed, grabbing the glass and taking a swig before wincing “Shit, that’s strong” he grimaced, reaching for the coke to dilute it some more “How is your liver still intact, Belly” as Isobel shrugged.

“You got musical talent, I got the ability to handle my liquor” she explained with a smirk as John rolled his eyes.

“Whatever you say, Belly!” John sighed shaking his head, “Whatever you said”