Status: This story is far from done!

A Noble Adventure

Chapter 3

Jason woke up to what sounded like cracking.

He thought his dog was breaking something again and yelled,“Pooch stop!” When he woke up. “Ahh” he screamed. After he caught his breath he looked around and remembered what had happened yesterday.”Uhgg” he moaned.

Oh, you’re awake, you can witness me hatching.

He looked at the pad at what he assumed he was supposed to put his egg on yesterday. He saw a crack getting bigger and bigger, then CRACK! A sapphire snout peeked out. Then it started doing a circular motion making the crack bigger and bigger. Then in all of its glory the dragon’s magnificent wings split the egg in half. Jason came and sat next to the dragon and carefully reached and touch the baby dragon’s head. Instantly he felt pain in his whole body for a full minute. After the pain had subsided Jason asked “what was that for”?

“I was connecting the link”. The voice sounded male.

“So are you going to follow me everywhere?” asked Jason.

“Yeah most of the time.” he said. “Look if you don’t accept what is happening there are lots of other candidates. Plus think of the opportunity you can hangout with dragons, ride them and eventually me, and all I can say is it’s going to be awesome.”

“Ok I guess this is my future I have to accept it.” Jason said sincerely.

“Yes, that’s it!” said the dragon.

Jason laughed “I like you.”

“You should I am your dragon. But in all seriousness we need to pick out a name for me, and I need to test out my motor skills.”

“Alright let’s see, dragon names, Draco?

“Seriously, that is the mosted used dragon name in Flylands.”

“Oh... Well you’re like a noble steed so steed or noble. Noble?

“Hmm Noble”, he said tapping his claw on the floor. “That name is unique, it’s amazing!”

“Alright now you needed to test your legs.” Jason stepped back and gave Noble some room.

Noble shuffled off the soft pad and carefully started taking his first full steps. “Ok walking is good.” Then he jumped vertically 3 feet in the air. Last was the flight test. Noble extended his wings fully which were 3 feet long each. He flapped then slowly rose into the air. He rose his wings to their fullest extent then brought them down to shoot him off like a bullet. All Jason could see was Noble flashing by sometimes to aerial tricks. After about 5 minutes Noble landed. “Whew, double check that off. What a rush.” he said

Jason’s belly rumbled. “Let’s get some grub Noble.” said Jason. After seeing Noble hatch and fly, Jason was amazed. He opened the door and slid down the rail with excitement, Noble gliding down after him. He came to the fridge and typed orange juice, french toast, and raw meat for Noble. Once again it was the best french toast he’d ever had. After he was done he put his dishes into the instant washer. He put them into a 1’ by 1’ black box and in three seconds the dishes were done. Jason reached into the washer to get his dishes and burned himself. He quickly pulled his fingers out and sucked on them.

“Be careful didn’t you read the sticker?” said a voice behind Jason.

Jason spun around to be greeted by Bryant. Then he turned back around and solemnly looked at the obvious, yellow, warning sticker.

“I promised you that I’d show you around and you can meet everybody. And I see your dragon hatched. What is its name?”

“Noble, but one sec just let me change. Wait where are some clothes that I could wear?” Jason asked.

“There are clothes in your closet. They aren’t much but if it covers your junk then I qualify that as clothes.”

“Ok.” said Jason and headed in room with Noble trailing behind him. When he was in his room he looked at his frame in the mirror. Jason was tall and strong for his age. He looked at his dark skin, his curly black hair, and full lips. Then he looked down at Noble he was 3 feet tall and about 4 and a half feet long from tail to snout and all a sapphire blue, besides the tip of his tail which was black and what he assumed was a bone. Jason looked in his closet and saw tunics and tan pants. They were almost all brown except a couple dyed blue and gray. Really, I have to wear tunics, Jason thought.
Yup, and I can just strut around nude! said Noble cheerfully

“Whatever”, Jason sighed as he tugged on his tunic. He carefully put his tan cargo shorts and shirt on his bed so when he got the chance he could wash and not look like a one of these town… things.
He came downstairs and he called “I’m ready”.

“That’s great, let’s go”, Bryant exclaimed brightly.

They walked out of the house and into the busy streets with humans and dragons alike. “Alright first we will go to the stables.” Bryant was saying. He guided Jason by dragon and human buildings. After about 5 minutes of walking they came to the a huge open place. It was just a flat roof with poles holding it up. Jason couldn’t believe how many dragons there were. They were all so big compared to his little baby dragon that hadn’t hatched more than 1 hour ago. They walked under the roof until they came to a bare patch of grass.

“This is Eastwing, my dragon”, said Bryant.

Clearly confused Jason said, “there is nothing here.” Right after he said that he heard a rumble from in front of him. He walked forward a little bit and his head bumped into something hard.
Bryant laughed, “alright quit it East.” The dragon appeared like looking into a camera and it focusing. East was a shimmering silver and almost as tall as Grim.

“Woah”! Jason said. “That is cool! How’d you do that?”

“Well we are the air element so we can turn invisible, so we manipulate the air copy it.”, answered Bryant.

“What do you mean we are the air element I thought just the dragon had powers.”

“Once you have a link between you and your dragon you gain powers too.”

“Oh sweet! But I don’t even know what element Noble is”, Jason said his voice deteriorating, “could you show us some of yours?”

“Sure, watch.” Bryant lifted his hand pointed it at Jason then fired. A blast of warm air hit Jason with the force of a high school lineman. But before he flew far away Noble bit Jason’s clothes to protect him from flying too far. “Nice reflexes Nobel. You got a fast dragon there Jason.”

“Yeah I do”, replied Jason.”Are you going to introduce me to the other flyers?”

“Oh, yes I am, just let me talk to someone and we’ll go.” Bryant responded as he walked into a big hut.

Jason considered going after him but stopped right next to a huge 5’ by 2’ barrel that was sloshing like crazy. “Come take a look at this.” he called to Noble. Noble walked over and the water started sloshing out of the barrel. “Well I think I know what element we are, water.”

“Alright let's see if we can manipulate it.” breathed Noble. He lifted his tail and the black bone started glowing. When he was lifted up his tail the water moved with it. Then he flicked his tail and the water splashed on the pole that he flicked it at. “Sweet, Jason you gotta try this.”

Jason lifted his hand just like Bryant and Noble, and flicked it up splashing it on the ceiling. He almost fainted when a wave of nausea came over him, but he quickly regained energy. Jason snickered, “lets splash Bryant when he comes out. So they waited for about a minute then Bryant and Eastwing came out and they splashed them with what seemed like more water then there was in the barrel.
“Woah, what was that?” asked Bryant.

“Uh, water.” Jason and Noble said at the same time.

“Whatever I can dry myself off. He started rubbing his clothes and in a matter of seconds he was dry. “Like a blow dryer. Alright let's go.”