‹ Prequel: Terrible Twos
Sequel: Retirement
Status: Complete.

Ten Years

Ten Years

"Ten years ago, at the beginning of my career, everyone always asked me where I saw myself in ten years. I hated that question and I never answered it, because the truth was that I didn't know and I didn't want to limit myself. What I did know, though, was that I never once thought that I would be married to the most beautiful woman in the world and have four happy and healthy children," Sidney Crosby spoke into the microphone.

"Sidney, how are things at home? Your wife is always at the games with the kids and at local events. We haven't seen her for almost a year," one of the reporters spoke up. "Is there trouble in paradise?"

"Absolutely not. Brielle and I are happier than ever," Sidney replied.

Before he could open his mouth to continue, his phone went off in his pocket. It rang with a specific tone, so Sidney knew what was going on.

"Excuse me for one minute," he said, looking over to his agent, who moved to the podium.

"Any other questioned that you may have, I can try to answer as best as I can."

"Who's on the phone?" one asked.

"That's a private matter that Sidney may answer for you," he answered. "Any others?"

"Why isn't Mrs. Crosby here?" another reporter questioned.

"Sidney will answer that when he's off of the phone."

"How long is Sindey going to keep playing?"

"Sidney is still a young guy with a big future with the Penguins. He always tells me that he's going to keep playing until he absolutely cannot anymore. So, he's not going anywhere for awhile, I assure you of that."

Tapping his agent on the shoulder, Sidney gave him a nod that silently said exactly what they both knew when the phone had rung.

"I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to end this interview earlier than scheduled. My wife is in labor with our fifth child and have to go. If you would like a one-on-one interview, please stay and talk to my agent and he can arrange everything," Sidney spoke, loosening his tie.

"Why didn't you announce that you were expecting another baby?" a reporter asked.

Before Sidney stepped away from the podium, he decided to answer the question quickly.

"My wife and I discussed it and we decided it was best for her and the baby's health that they were out of the spotlight. It's been a really awful pregnancy for Brielle and she's been sick a lot. We didn't want to add any more stress to an already stressful situation," Sidney replied before stepping away and exiting the conference room.

Arriving at the hospital, Sidney went to the front desk and asked for information about his wife. Once he was told the floor and the room number that she was in, Sidney walked briskly towards the elevator.

Entering the room, Sidney saw his parents, sister, in-laws, and children scattered around, all looking anxious for the arrival of the new baby.

"How are you feeling, all things considered?" he asked Brielle, walking over to the bed that she was laying in.

"All things considered, I'm getting my tubes tied," she responded.

Laughing slightly, Sidney kissed the top of his wife's head gently before looked into her eyes. "Just as blunt as always."

Hours later, with Sidney sitting behind her, encouraging her the entire time, Brielle pushed the fifth Crosby child into the world.

"It's a girl," the doctor said. "And, a very vocal one at that," he added with a laugh.

A few hours later, Brielle was waking up from her much needed nap and heard Sidney talking softly to their newly born daughter.

"You were really rough on your Momma," he spoke quietly. "Maybe calm down a little for her now that you're here, yeah. She'll love you unconditionally regardless, but she could use a break."

"Sidney, she doesn't understand a word that you're saying," Brielle spoke, barely above a whisper.

"It doesn't hurt to try," he laughed.

Looking down to the tiny baby in his arms, Sidney walked over to his wife. "She's going to need a name," he spoke.

"The kids decided on their favorite. They wrote it on a car and put it in the hospital bag."

Handing the tiny clone of his wife to Brielle, Sidney searched for the envelope in the bag that sat next to the bed. Opening up the sealed envelope, Sidney showed his wife the name.

Looking down at their daughter, Brielle soon had tears streaming down her face.

"Welcome to the world, Ariella Gracelynne Crosby," she said softly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just another part of the series! If you're still following along, thank you for joining me on this drabble journey. There's still plenty more to come, I promise. If you're just joining us, make sure that you catch up and read all of the others. (:

xoxo,
Codie