Status: unfinished

Jessie McMillion and a Small Town Revolution

Chapter 4

Although Jessie and Roland lived in West Dion Village, which was a moderately small town in the most painfully suburban part of America, it was closely bordered by other small towns and was just a half hour metro ride to the city. They took their skateboards to the train sation and used their metro cards to get student tickets to the hippest Downtown area within the next 3 counties.
Jessie called his mom from the train and told her he'd be home around 11.
Jessie's mom didn't like him getting in to much trouble, and all around seemed inconvenienced by parenting him, but with that standing, he still had no curfew. On the other hand, Roland's Vietnamese mom was very strict about his 11:30 curfew. No more no less. He had to be home and have his teeth brushed by then or no phone or skateboard.
Jessie always made an effort to remember this.

"How much money do you have on you?" Roland asked.
"26 bucks left over from babysitting Hannah." Jessie's mom still paid him to babysit his sister, even though he was only 2 years and a few months older than her.
"What happened to the other 4?"
"What the fuck do you think I paid with at the band coffee cart this morning?"
This made Jessie remember that Syd knew about Caeson and Maceby.
"Speaking of the coffee this morning," Jessie inched toward the topic carefully, "Did you ever mention the Caeson and Maceby thing to Sydnie?"
Roland had a blank look.
"I've talked to her less than you have, dude. I have no idea where she'd hear that from. Did she bring it up today during Pastor?"
"Yeah, kinda."
Roland pondered for a second. The train was close to reaching their destination of Downtown Destiny's Circle. They only had 1 more stop after the one they were approaching.
"Maybe she caught them in the act like you did," Roland suggested.
"Maybe."
Jessie was now deep in thought. He would spend the remainder of the train ride thinking of the girl in a black turtle neck with chocolatey brown braids that gave him her phone number earlier, and how she knew the biggest secret he'd ever kept for someone else.

Destiny's Circle was hipster central, with cafes, coffee shops, and skate spots galore.
Jessie and Roland went there most nights after school, well, when they had money. As most places like that are, The Circle is expensive.
"Where are we headed tonight, bruh?" The sign spinner outside the train station asked Jessie. They were fairly acquainted with each other due to the amount of time Jessie spent there. "My boy Jess finally snagged the number of that weird girl he's been trying to shag for weeks," Roland answered.
"Tight," the sign dude, Patrick, responded.
"There's a new tarot cafe on Franklin. The place is trippy, they have some lady there that's been told to have the most dead on predictions ever," Patrick suggested
"It's all decked out in tie dyed fabric and Buddha statues, too. Went there last week and the cards told me good fortune was comin' my way, and an unexpected sexual endeavor was on the rise; then yesterday the girl from Wednesday's Pizza finally said yes to going on a date with me, and she let me hit it after."
"Sounds dope," Roland said.
"I'm down," Jessie agreed.
"Take a left after you reach the park, head down Franklin, and its allllllllll the way at the end where the place that has the extra smelly Thai food."
"Thanks bro," Jessie said before him and Roland hopped on their skateboards and headed that way.