Status: unfinished

Jessie McMillion and a Small Town Revolution

Chapter 5

Jessie and Roland sat down at a table and ordered sandwiches and iced teas. The cafe was just like Patrick said, a psychedelic paradise. It smelled incense and coffee, and every table had a teenager enthralled in the words of their fortune teller.
Shortly after their food arrived, an old lady came and sat at their table. "Welcome to Likelihood Tarot Cafe," She breathed very slowly, in the way that old people did, "have either of you ever had a tarot reading done?"
Roland and Jessie shook their heads.
The old woman ran them through the spreads, and the history of the tarot. They ate their sandwiches and listened to about half of what she was saying, until the time came for her to read the cards.
Jessie was first.

The lady was doing a custom spread. She set out 4 cards over lapping each other.
The first card to be turned over was the Page of Cups.
"Your mind is speaking to you," The Lady started "Your unconscious mind is trying to send you a strong message of boredom. You are longing for a change, and a drastic one. You must allow yourself more freedom, and a shake up is necessary right now."
The next card was the iv of wands.
"Yes.." The woman mumbled. "You will find this freedom in excitement and thrill. The cards think you may start some sort of rebellion. You are letting go of limitation."
Jessie nodded. He had been feeling like his life was boring recently.
The next card was the ace of cups.
"You will have an overwhelming feeling of teenage love. You may already know who this person is. You will get deeply involved, in only a matter of time. It is undetermined how long this period of bliss will last."
The last card was the iii of swords. The woman's expression changed.
"The rebellion I mentioned earlier.. this may be in correlation with that. You will experience a conflict, surrounded with lots of future hatred. How this is handled is up to you, but it will require much planning. The feelings in this are destructive, but yet still have the best intentions wrapped up in it. "
The woman collected the cards in one motion, and smiled at Roland.
"You're next."

While Roland had his tarot cards read, and while he furiously asked questions about reach meaning, clearly tiring out the reader, Jessie was deep in thought.
A rebellion on the rise. What did that mean to him? He was just a prankster, not an inspiration.
He didn't even have time to think about how the cards basically told him he would inevitably be involved with Syd, and happily involved, at that.
"Man, we gotta go back there," Roland said, once they left. "I feel like that lady was dead on. They say she's the best in the whole place, you know. I asked the guy at the font desk when I went to pay."
Roland sounded like a child who just left disneyland, and was excitedly telling his mom all about it, even though she'd been there the whole time, and experienced it literally right next to him.
Jessie chuckled as they skated back up Frankiln street.
"Yeah dude," Jessie agreed. It was pretty cool in there, even if it was 10 bucks for a ham sandwich and a raspberry iced tea, plus tip for the tarot reader.
"I heard her tell you you'd fall in love pretty soon. Think it's about Syd?"
Jessie looked ahead at the groups of teenagers just like them, the couples holding hands under the city lights, and the tall apartment buildings, alive with young spirits.
"Yeah actually, I do," Jessie answered.
"Well, not to shit on that or anything, but she told me I was going to find out the answer to a question I'd had for a long time. I bet you, dead ass, its that I'm gonna get that job at Wednesday's Pizza." Roland had been trying to find a job in Destiny's Circle since he turned 16, because he refused to work at their local Dairy Queen, or any of the horrible PTA mom owned small town rich people Boutiques that were close to home in West Dion, but Wednesday's Pizza was the only place to call him back with an interview date.
"I think it's more likely that your mom is finally going to raise your curfew, like you've been asking about for 2 years."
Roland laughed. "If it turned out to be both, I'd kiss you out of excitement."
"I appreciate that, but I'd rather you kept your lips at least 20 inches away from mine at all times."
Roland agreed, and said that was a reasonable request.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tarot card meaning credit goes to www.biddytarot.com and www.learntarot.com