Burn Out

00.

“Long black hair, blue eyes, and she was boarding. None of the girls around here board.” Grey says while throwing a flinging a ball into the air repetitively. “She was, like, wicked hot.”

“You think everyone’s hot.” Kade says with an eye roll.

“What, I do not. I have high standards.”

“Dude, you think my sister’s hot.” London says while scraping the tobacco out of a grape Swisher.

“Your sister is hot.” Grey says while nodding his head with a goofy smile.

“She’s, like, fourteen.” London says, disgusted.

“Yeah, your sister is pretty hot.” Kade agrees, earning himself a glare from London.

“Gross.” London says while finishing rolling the blunt.

“For real, though. I’ve never seen this girl around before.”

“It’s all in your head.” London says while sparking the freshly rolled blunt.

“Whatever man, let’s go already.” He says and throws the ball into the small hoop on the shed wall. He grabs his board and heads out the garage door, Kade and London following close behind him. They begin the trek uphill towards their favorite skate spot – an abandoned house with an empty pool. The house is about a two mile walk up a curved hill, and another mile through the woods. The boys smoke and chatter while walking up the long steep hill, heads hung low.

“Watch out!” A voice calls from in front of them. They look up in time to see her, the black haired girl Grey described, coming towards them. She comes to a halt just a few feet ahead of them.

“Woah,” London says, the blunt hanging from his lips. She smiles, pulls the blunt out of his mouth. She quickly places it in hers before jumping on her board and rolling down the hill.

“Told ya.” Grey says, smiling and nodding his head as they watch her skate away.

“Dude, she just stole my weed!” London says, still shocked. Kade smiles at his friends, then jumps on his board and begin following her down the hill. The other two quickly follow.

The boys follow the pretty stranger down the long hill, and through a small neighborhood. They only reach her as she is stepping inside the gate of her fenced yard, accompanied by two large, barking Rottweilers.

“Wow, totally not fair.” Grey says as he steps off his board. They approach her yard, cautious of the barking dogs.

“Sorry.” She says with a small shrug. “Here.” She hands the now half smoked blunt back to London. “Who are you?” London asks.

“Chase.” She says while stepping up the front porch steps.

“How do you know Cassie?” He asks. Chase tilts her head at the unfamiliar boy, then she finally places it; short dreads, cute smile, grungy looking – it’s Cassie’s ex-boyfriend. Chase walks inside, leaving the question unanswered.

“I fucking told you!” Grey says, slapping London on the shoulder. He chuckles loudly to himself. London rolls his eyes and flicks the rest of the weed to ground before getting on his board and heading back towards the bottom of the hill.