Burn Out

01.

"Is that you Chase?"

"Yeah, Aunt Jackie." I say while dropping my board and backpack by the front door. I walk to the living room where my old aunt is seated on the recliner, hooked to an oxygen tank. "What do you feel like for dinner?" I ask and kiss my aunt on her cheek.

"I'm fine with whatever." She says with a small wave of her hand. "Will you feed the boys?" She asks.
"Of course." I walk around the kitchen and fill two large bowls with kibble. I head out the opened back door. "Chomper! Bruce!" I call and the two large dogs come running from around the corner. I quickly set the bowls on the ground and take a step back, not wanting to get in between them and their food. I chuckle at the goofy dogs. I walk back inside, brushing a strand of black hair behind my ear.

"When does Cassie get home from school?" I ask while looking through the cupboards for something to cook.

"She should be home any minute now." Aunt Jackie says and as if in queue, Cassie walks in the door.
"Hi mom." She says before walking into the kitchen.

"Hey, how was school?" I ask deciding on spaghetti for dinner. I take out all the necessary ingredients and turn the stove on, boiling a pot of water.

"Boring as usual." She says with a sigh and tugs the ponytail from her hair; her long red locks fall gracefully around her shoulders. "What did you do today?"

"Did some school work, skated for a bit. That’s about it." I say as I stir the meat sauce into the cooked pasta. "You hungry?"

"Starving." She says and sits at the small dinner table. "When are you gonna teach me to do that?"

"Do what?" I ask while dishing up three bowls of spaghetti.

"To skate."

"You have any homework tonight?" Cassie shakes her head no. "I'll teach you tonight." I say and hand her the plate of food. "Take this to your mom."
~
"I suck at this." Cassie says sitting down on her longboard.

"It takes practice. You just can't be afraid of getting hurt."

"I'm terrified of getting hurt." She says and I can't help but help.

"I mean, realistically we all are. It's just about not letting the fear control you!" Cassie rolls her eyes.

"You'll get it. Just keep practicing. We can start working on hills next week."

"Hills?!" Cassie says with disbelief.

"Small ones... C'mon, you have to start somewhere. And you're the one who asked me to teach you!"

"I know... I'm just not a physical activity type person. Give me all the book work in the world and I can
do it, but this is not that simple."

"Sure, just think of it as a science experiment, like physics. You start with balance, add some momentum and there you go!"

Cassie bursts with laughter. "You know, that is probably the dumbest thing I've heard you say."

"Whatever! I'm just trying to help." I reply, but can't help but laugh too.

"Fine, I'll keep trying." She says stepping back on the board.

“I think I met your ex today.” I mention while taking a seat on the curb.

“Who, London?” She asks, seeming uninterested but I can tell she’s curious.

“Yeah, he and two other boys stopped by the house.” This catches her attention.

“Oh, was he looking for me?”

“I don’t know. I didn’t ask. He was a dick to you.” I reply to which she shrugs. “You’re not learning to board for him are you?” I ask, but it’s not so much a question as an accusation.

“No!” Cassie immediately defends herself. “I just wanted to be able to do it with you.”

“I’m touched.” I say with an eye roll. She responds with a small giggle as she rolls away from me.
~
I awake to the sound of my alarm buzzing at 7:30. I rub my eyes and stretch before pulling myself out of the comfort of my bed. I head to the kitchen to start the coffee maker.

"Hi Cass." I say and Cassie glances at me from behind her book.

"Hi," she says with a mouthful of bagel.

"Shouldn't you be heading out?" I ask while filling the coffee pot with water. She glances down at her watch.

"Shit," she says with wide eyes. "Yeah, I'll see you after school." She says while shoveling the rest of her bagel into her mouth and dashing for the door.

I get the coffee to start brewing, then head for the back door. Chomper and Bruce excitedly greet me by the door, knowing it's time for breakfast. I pick up their empty bowls, head inside to fill them, and drop them back outside.

I have just enough time for a quick shower before needing to get Aunt Jackie up. I quickly dress myself in an old band t-shirt and favorite black jeans. I slip on my Converse and a hoodie before heading to the kitchen.

I fix myself a travel mug of coffee with just a splash of milk and two sugar cubes. I take a sip, burning the tip of my tongue on the hot liquid. I set the mug on the counter and head to Aunt Jackie’s room. I’m surprised to find her awake already.

“Good morning.” I say with a warm smile.

“Good morning, Chase.” She says. I help her sit up on the edge of her bed and slip her night gown off over her head. I grab the clothes I had laid out for her the night before and begin dressing her. I help her to the restroom and help brush her hair and her teeth.

“I’m going to get the truck warmed up,” I tell her while helping her to her recliner in the living room. She nods with a smile and I head out the front yard. The truck starts with a loud rumble and I sit there quietly for a moment, staring into space. We would be getting Aunt Jackie’s test results back, and I can’t help but feel a strong amount of anxiety while waiting for the results.

I head back inside, help my aunt put on her coat, and escort her out to the truck. She has difficulties getting in, but I help lift her into the vehicle.

“Ready?” I ask while getting into the driver’s seat. She nods, but her eyes have me believing differently. I don’t think she is feeling optimistic about her appointment, to be honest, I wasn’t either. But I grab her hand, and assure her everything will be okay to which she replies with a warm smile.
~
Dr. Murphey calls us into his office to discuss the results of Aunt Jackie’s test. She holds my hand tightly as we wait for him to announce the news. I find myself spacing out as he discusses the medical terms, and only zone in when he says she only has about a year to live. I gaze at the doctor, astonished by the news. Jackie’s hand is gripping mine firmly, and I can feel the fear that she is feeling though she is trying hard to not show it.

Aunt Jackie is quiet as we get into the truck. I try to be respectful of her feelings, but need answers of my own. “How are you going to tell Cassie?” I ask quietly.

There is a long silence before Aunt Jackie finally says, “We’re not.” I glance at her. Her expression is blank.

“What do you mean? You have to tell her.”

Jackie let’s out a long sigh, “We will tell her, but not yet. Not until school is over.”

“That’s not for another three months… What if something happens then?”

“If anything comes up, we will tell her sooner. But Cassie is a bright girl, and I don’t want her to be distracted and ruin her future.” She says. I stare at the road in front of us. “I know this is a lot to ask of you, Chase, but I’d really appreciate if you respect my wishes.”

I nod in agreement. “I will do my best to.”

“Thank you,” She says and places her hand on mine.

“Dad will want to know though.” I reply with a raised brow. “He can help you get everything in order.” There is a long silence. “I can call him if that will make you feel better.” She nods.

We pull into the driveway moments later. I help Jackie out of the truck and into the house. I sit her down in her recliner in the living room and head to the kitchen to fix her something to eat. My phone buzzes in my back pocket, Dad. He knew her appointment was today and always called after to check in. I step out the back door, shutting it softly behind me, to take the call.

“Hi Dad!”

“Hi Charlotte, how are you doing?”

“I’m doing pretty alright, how are you?”

“I’m doing well. It’s good to hear your voice. The house is so quiet without you here.”

“I know, it must be nice!” I joke.

He chuckles, then his voice gets serious. “How was Jack’s appointment?”

“Um, not so good.” I admit. “Murphey said the cancer is worse, and only estimates her at a year to live.”

“Jesus… That makes me sick to hear.” He says as his voice softens. “How is Cassandra taking the news?”

My eyes begin to water at the thought of not being able to tell my only cousin that her mother is going to die soon. “Jackie doesn’t want me to tell her.” I say, and my voice cracks.

“Oh? Why not?”

“She says she doesn’t want Cassie to get distracted; she wants to wait until Cassie finishes school this semester.”

“And how do you feel about that?”

“Pretty shitty. That’s a lot of pressure for her to put on me and I don’t like lying to Cassie.”
“I know, but I assume you’re going to respect her wishes?”

“Of course,” I say and wipe a tear from my eye. “But she shouldn’t wait so long.”

“I agree… I have a big trial right now, but it should be done in a couple weeks. I’ll be flying out there as soon as it’s done to help take care of the legal stuff. I’ll try to talk her into tell Cassie sooner.”

“Thank you.”

“I sent a small care package, and a check. You should get it in a couple days.”
“Okay, I’ll keep an eye out for it.”

“I have to go, I have a meeting, but I will be in contact soon. Be safe, and I love you.”

“Love you too, Dad.” I say and hang up the phone.