Burn Out

04.

“Hey, sorry. He was showing me the house.” Chase apologizes as she walks towards me.

“Your lipstick is smeared.” I reply and cross my arms.

“What?” She says and wipes her mouth on the back of her hand, only to see nothing but skin.

“You’re not wearing lipstick.” I reply with a smirk. I knew she was doing more than just being shown the house.

“Have you talked to him at all?” She asks and I glance up at London who is still watching me from the porch.

“No, he just keeps staring at me.” I whisper. “It’s kind of creepy.” Chase giggles.

“Why don’t you go talk to him then?” She asks.

“Because he’s the one who owes me an apology.” I say stubbornly.

“Well I’m not telling you to apologize to him, just talk.”

“No.” I reply flatly, and give her a stern look to stop pressing me. Grey sanders down the stairs, followed by London, Kade and Michael.

“So what else do you guys do besides sit around a big fire?” Chase asks and takes a long drink of her beer.

“We could always play Drunk Driving.” Michael offers. We look to Grey for an explanation.

“So we have the four quads – we usually ride two per quad: a guy and a girl.” He begins. “You race the quad from here,” He points to the beginning of the trail. “To the lake about a mile out, you don’t need to follow the same path, just get there first.”

“Sounds easy enough?” Chase says.

Grey chuckles, “Each person has a beer. You have to finish both of them by the time you get to the lake, but you can’t drive while you are drinking. The passenger, however, can.” He says. “It’s like a life version of the Mario Kart game we used to play.”

“That sounds like fun, I’m definitely in.” She says and I internally roll my eyes. If she played, it meant I was going to have to as well and if I know Grey, he’s going to put me on London’s team…

“Alright, you can be on my team.” Grey says with a smile. “Uh, Ellie! Go get Kimber and come play drunk driving.” He yells. Ellie gives a thumbs up and disappears inside. “Cassie, you can be with London.” He says and London gives him a look. “Come on, for old time sake.” He says with a smirk. I roll my eyes, but don’t offer any objection. Ellie and Kimber come down stairs and Grey pairs them up: Kimber and Kade, and Ellie and Michael.

“Alright, everyone grab a beer.” He says and we huddle around the tub.

“You think we can still beat them like last year?” London asks.

I offer a small smile, “We better.” I reply. London hands me a beer and I follow him to the quads. He takes his seat in front and I get on behind him, my beer in one hand, the other holding onto his waist.

We all line up next to each other at the entrance to the woods. I crack open my beer, waiting to start chugging. We were long time champs. We found the quickest way was just for me to drink both beers while he steered, surprisingly no one caught on yet. We also knew the shortest path to get there.

Grey announces for us to go and we all disappear into the woods. I quickly chug my beer and switch it with the full one in the cup holder. I quickly drink that one as well, letting out a large belch as I do. London laughs, then speeds up the quad – the lake is insight.

We approach the lake and stop, a few moments later, Grey and Chase show up, laughing hysterically. They’re followed by Kimber and Kade, then Michael and Ellie.

“You guys must cheat.” Grey says as they get off the quad. I hop off, and shrug.

“Nope, we’re just that good.” I tease as I stand next to Chase. Ellie and Kimber join us while Michael and Kade walk towards the lake.

“Do you guys ever swim in this lake?” Chase asks and sticks her hand in the water.

“All the time during summer.” Kade says, standing next to her.

“Who’s up for a swim then?” She asks, and I look at her in disbelief. None of us were prepared for a swim…

“Wearing what?” I ask and cross my arms.

“Our undies, duh.” She says with a wink. She was up to something, but I couldn’t quite figure it out…

“Don’t have to ask me twice!” Grey says, already pulling his shirt off over his head.

“I’m a little shy, so you guys go first and turn around so we can undress.” She says and turns to us girls with a smirk. I realize what she is up to, and look to Ellie and Kimber to see if they’re getting it too. They’re both wearing devious smiles, so I take that as a yes.

“Yeah, whatever.” Kade says. They all strip down to their boxers and jump in the water, turning their backs to us.

We pick up their clothes and get on the quads. “Hey!” London calls as they hear the motors start, but it’s too late. We’re already driving off, laughing as we go. We get back to the house about ten minutes later and park the quads. We drop the clothes on the picnic table and head inside.

Chase heads to the fridge, I take a seat at the island, Kimber sits next on one side of me and Ellie stands next to me on the other side.

“Let’s see what else there is to drink.” Chase says while opening the fridge. She finds a couple bottles of wine, a few different kinds of beer, but no hard alcohol like she was hoping. “There’s got to be something harder.” She says and begins searching the cupboards.

“How long until they’re back?” Ellie asks with a giggle.

“Who knows, I’m hoping to be drunk by the time that happens.” Chase says. She opens a cupboard to reveal a full stash of hard alcohol. “Ooh, what to drink.” She says looking through the bottles. She picks one out and reads out loud, “Captain Morgan, spiced rum.” She opens the cap and takes a whiff. She shrugs and pours some into a tall glass. She fishes the Coke out of the fridge and tops off her glass.

“Anyone else want any?” She asks.

“Let me try.” I say. She is shocked at first, but that quickly turns into a smile. She walks to me, glass in one hand, bottle in the other. She offers the glass to me but I shake my head no and take the bottle from her hand.

“You probably don’t want to do that.” She says with a raised brow, but I ignore her warning. I forget how much she doesn’t know about me. I guess I mean more the person I was with London – I drank often when I hung out with the boys all the time. I press the bottle to my lips and take a long, two gulp, drink.

“Ooh,” I say while setting the bottle on the counter. Chase stares at me with disbelief.

“Damn, Cass! I didn’t know you had it in you.” She says laughing. I find myself giggling as well as the all too familiar warm feeling begins in my toes. I forgot how much I enjoyed drinking. I feel loose, and happy.

“Where are the others?” Blake asks while walking into the kitchen, followed by Blake. We all share the same look, but shrug.

“Thought they’d be back by now.” Ellie says. We glance to the door just in time to see a very angry Grey opening the door. He ignores us as he walks to the living room and upstairs. The others shuffle in, a lot less mad than Grey.

“What’s wrong with him?” Chase asks.

London shrugs, and grabs the bottle from the counter. “You’d have to ask him.” He laughs before taking a pull from the bottle. He looks at me with an all too familiar look. His eyes were kind and apologetic. His wet hair dripped down his shoulders to his toned chest. I wanted so badly to reach out and kiss him, but resisted. If he wants to apologize he needs to say it. I look to Chase who smiles knowingly.

“I’m going to go see what’s wrong with him.” She says before disappearing as well.

I get up and walk outside, deciding now would be a good time to sit by the fire, and hope that London will follow me. I walk downstairs and sit on an empty chair by the bonfire. I listen to the door shut, but resist looking up, not wanting to seem too eager.

I only glance up when a body walks towards me, and I cheer with happiness – well in my head. On the outside I only smile a little. London approaches, fully clothed, and sits next to me by the fire.

“Glad to finally catch you alone.” He says leaning back in his chair.

“I was kind of avoiding that, to be honest.” I admit. He looks at me confused. Stupid mouth – I suppose that’s the downside of alcohol.

“I’m sorry for being a dick and ignoring you.” He says. And sleeping with Holly. I want to add, but I’m able to resist. I remain quiet, afraid of what might come out of my mouth if I open it. “I was just – I mean I still am so young. The feelings I have for you scare the shit out of me.” Have? I look him in the eye, remaining quiet.

“I thought that I was too young to know what I really want, but I was wrong. I want to be with you, Cassie, I always have. I just let my fear get the better of me.” He says and I have to look away to avoid crying, I can already feel the tears forming. I quickly blink them away before turning back to him.

“I love you, too.” I say and offer a small smile. He grins, nearly ear to ear. He gestures for me to come towards him and I do so, taking a comfortable seat on his lap. He places a soft kiss on my lips, lasting only seconds before we’re rudely interrupted by hollering. We look to the back porch to see Chase cheering, obviously drunk. Grey stood next to her, a smirk crosses his lips.