Status: Rating for language and mature content

Coffee and Love

Desperate

I smirked as I walked out of the Starbucks. I whistled through my teeth as I dug my cell phone out of my jean pockets. I pulled up my contacts and dialed my best friend and partner in my photography business, Luther.

“I found the perfect girl,” I said.

“Oh yeah? What’s she look like?”

“Perfect straight hair, tan skin, white teeth, curvy body,” I said.

“Where’d you find her?” he asked and I knew he was writing it all down.

“The Starbucks on Main Street,” I answered. “From the way the barista treated her, she goes there often. I gave her my card. I think she’s interested.”

“You just think, Caleb?” he sighed. “We can’t afford you ‘think’ a girl is going to agree. This photo shoot is too sensitive!”

I rolled my eyes. “I’m aware of that Luther. I have 50% invested, remember? Anyway, I left an impression so I’m sure she’ll at least text me. We have five days to reel her in, Lu.”

He sighed. “Go back tomorrow,” he said.

“Already planned on it,” I said cheerfully. “I’m headed back to the apartment unless you need me in the studio.”

“Nah. I’ve got everything tied down here.”

“Okiedokes. See you later tonight. Pick up Chinese.”

“Will do.”

I hung up and stuck my hands in my pockets as I walked. I was turning heads and smirked, fully aware of how good looking I was. I had hoped I could use that to my advantage on Mirela but she seemed more interested in her work than anything else. Usually girls were more than happy to work with Luther and I.

Our apartment wasn’t too far from the Starbucks. I had been there simply because I needed some coffee and to edit a few photos. Who knew I would fine the one girl that could tie our whole shoot together? As I unlocked the door, I pondered the possibility of her getting dinner one night and giving her a… tour of the studio. I didn’t see why not. It had worked every other time.

I put my laptop case down and cracked my neck. I opened the fridge and grabbed a can of beer, leaning against the counter and thinking about this photo shoot. Despite the confidence I had in Mirela working with us, I was very nervous. Luther spoke the truth: this shoot was pivotal to the continuance of our studio.

We’ve only had the studio for three months. We met in a bar a year ago after fighting over some drunk girl. She ended up vomiting on the floor so we both figured we lucked out there. After grabbing a drink, we realized we had the same interest in photography and the same dream: on the most famous studios in Oklahoma. So, we put our money together and started doing small things like birthday parties.

All that resulted in was realizing how much I loathed children. Then we tried shooting at concerts. Even though Luther had done a lot of concerts, the only ones we could get in for were stupid boy bands with squealing teenage girls. After that we went with family portraits despite our bad luck with birthday parties. That’s where we made our foothold. My mother had a stupid bunny stuffed animal of mine from when I was a kid and I used that to get the babies to stop screaming.

From there we got more and more talked about. Now we have a possible investor with an insane idea for a photo shoot. We knew it was a test: if we can pull this off, we can pull anything off.

I crushed my can and tossed it into the recycling bin. I changed into a pair of sweat pants and put on some tennis shoes. We had a gym in the apartment complex that I visited on a daily basis. Not only did I get my workout in, I also got to stroke my ego as the girls practically drooled over my body. God that was satisfying.

-

The next day I went to Starbucks at the same time. I bought a mocha latte, dead on my feet. Luther had kept me up into the late hours to talk about the shoot. He was obsessed.

“I told you, Miss Harrison. Your computer will not crash just because of a pop up.”

I looked up and chuckled. Mirela was back and looked about as frustrated as I was. The barista passed her the coffee and she exchanged it with some cash, waving away her change.

“Yes, I swear it will be fine. No, you don’t have to take it to a repairman.” She sat down and closed her eyes. “Look, I’m at the Starbucks on Main Street. If you’re that worried, bring it to me.” She stopped and smirked. “I figured. You have a good day, Miss Harrison.”

She hung up and took a sip of her drink. She hadn’t noticed me yet as she hooked up her computer. I continued to stare at her, admiring her body as I had the day before. As she was logging in, she must have felt me staring because she looked up. She nodded once.

“You know,” I said, going over to sit with her, “it’s not very kind to not call a guy when he gives you his number.”

“Sorry,” she said but she didn’t sound like it. “I was busy last night.”

Her eyes were focused on her computer as she read something. She bit on her lower lip as she typed.

God I need this girl.

“So, have you given any thought into the photo shoot?” I asked, leaning back in my chair.

She sighed. “No offense, Mr. McMillan-”

“Caleb.”

“Right, Caleb. I have a stressful day in front of me so I can’t really talk about this right now. I’ll text you or something later this evening and let you know.”

I shrugged. “Just grab dinner with me.”

“I can’t. I already have plans.”

I cocked a brow. “Another man chasing you?”

She rolled her eyes. “No. I’m having dinner with my mother.”

“Then how about tomorrow?” I pressed. “I’ll tell you more about the shoot.”

She sighed heavily. “I don’t know….”

“Come on. You won’t regret it. Besides, you get a free meal out of it.”

“Well, you have a point there.” She huffed. “All right. Dinner tomorrow.”

“Great,” I said, clapping my hands together and standing up. “Enjoy your stressful day.”

She waved distractedly and went back to her computer.