Status: Rating for language and mature content

Coffee and Love

Rain

Luther was still laughing at Mirela’s stunt at the restaurant when we got to my mother’s house. Personally, I had been nervous that my mother was going to hold the lack of a college degree against Mirela. College was important to my mother. Now, though, I could tell she liked Mirela even more.
When we settled into the living room and she gave us all water, I pulled out her gift.

“We went to Hobby Lobby yesterday and I had to get this for you,” I said. “Sorry I didn’t wrap it. You know how terrible I am at wrapping.”

She laughed and accepted it. “Oh, Caleb! It’s beautiful!”

I smiled and passed Mirela’s hers. “So that’s where it went,” she said. “I was looking for it in the box.”

“What box?” my mother asked.

“Oh. Luther and Caleb did a photo series for me yesterday,” she answered, rubbing the back of her neck.

“What kind?” she asked excitedly. “I love their work!”

“Well, it was mostly casual,” she said, looking at her cat stitch she bought.

I put my hand on her back. “Mirela is half Romanian, Mom,” I said softly and she smiled more. “But her father passed away when she was daughter. We did a kind of Romanian funeral ritual photo series for her in honor of her father.”

My mom’s jaw dropped. “Oh, Mirela,” she gasped. “I’m so sorry! How did he die?”

Mirela rubbed her right eyebrow with her pointer and middle fingers.

“Uh… overdose.” My mom’s face fell and Mirela looked around desperately. “I see you like horses,” she blurted and my mom smiled.

“Yes, I do. I used to have some but I got too old,” she said with a wrinkled nose.

“Have you worked with horses all your life?”

For the rest of the afternoon, my mom and Mirela got to know each other. Occasionally, Luther and I would speak up but it was seldom. I smiled, watching them interact. After my mother’s I was planning on inviting her on a walk but it was still raining out. Around four, my mother stifled a yawn.

“I’m sorry,” she said. “How embarrassing.”

“We’ll head out,” I said. “You do look like you’re tired.”

She glared at me playfully. “We all know what that means.”

I laughed and kissed her cheek. “Bye, Mom. Let me know when we can do this again.”

Before she left, she cleared her throat. “Have you… heard from your brother?”

“Not yet,” I said quietly. “We’re doing a photo series at the center next weekend and I’ll see him then. Do you want to come?”

“I can’t,” she whispered. “That- I can’t.”

“It’s okay,” I said. “You don’t have to. We’ll call and you can talk on the phone.”

She smiled and hugged Mirela. “It was so good to meet you. I hope I can see you again.”

“Me, too,” she said with a smile.

I sighed when we got out. Suddenly, Larry snatched the keys and ran to the car.

“Dude!” I yelled.

“See you at the apartment!” he said and peeled out.

Mirela gaped at me. “Did he just ditch us!?”

I groaned. “Yes, yes he did.”

“You know, I was wrong. He’s the dick.”

I laughed and we walked down the street. “We can take the bus.”

“How far are we from our places?”

“Two freakin’ miles,” I grumbled.

She laughed. “What? Poor old Caleb can’t walk two miles?”

“Of course,” I said, a little insulted. “But in the rain!?”

“Oh, don’t be a wuss,” she said and I shoved her playfully. “Do you think my mom liked me?”

“Yeah,” I said.

“I don’t know…. She didn’t really talk to me at the restaurant after the college thing….”

“That’s just how she is,” I said. “You really impressed her, though, with how you dealt with those guys so you’re fine.”

“Oh I am, am I?” she asked, nudging me.

I scoffed. “That’s what I’ve been sayin’ for the last five weeks, babe.”

She laughed and I glanced at her out of the corner of my eye. She was walking in that straight backed away and was using her breasts to protect the project.

“Stop staring,” she said.

“I’m not,” I said defensively. “I just noticed that you were hiding your project.” She laughed. “Hand it over and I’ll put it in my pocket.”

“Thanks.”

She passed it over and we continued on in silence. The rain was coming down steadily and we were soon soaked.

“You should’ve worn white,” I sighed. “That would make this walk more enjoyable.”

“What, my company isn’t enjoyable enough?”

“Of course it is. But having a… front seat view would make it more pleasant.”

“Shut up, McMillan,” she said and I laughed.

“Give me a break. I haven’t gotten the chance to hit on you in a long time!”

“I know,” she said. “It’s been weird. Have you been feeling okay?”

No. I’m in love with you, damn it.

“Yep,” I lied and put my hand on her lower back. “Just being… respectful.”

She scoffed. “You? Respectful? I doubt it.”

I leaned to her ear. “Don’t make me abduct you.”

“With what?” she retorted but I heard her voice shaking. “You don’t have your car anymore.”

“I could find something,” I said, slowly rubbing her back. She shivered. “You okay?”

“Cold,” she said simply.

I put my arm around her shoulders. “This walk was your idea,” I reminded her. “You have no one to blame but yourself.”

“You’re the one with the dick roommate that steals cars and makes us walk in the rain.”

I laughed. “That’s true.”

She didn’t say anything so neither did I. I moved closer to her slowly. When our bodies were touching, she stiffened.

“Chill,” I said. “Body heat.”

She laughed breathlessly. “Good lie.”

I lowered my arm. “Eh, what can I say?”

“Touch my ass and I’ll push you out into the road,” she said when I kept lowering my arm.

I pouted. “Party pooper!”

She giggled. She didn’t step away from me, though, and that was promising. I bit my lower lip as we walked, wondering how to word my next question. ‘Will you be my girlfriend’ seemed so weak and lame. I groaned.

“What’s wrong?” she asked as we turned down the road.

“I just don’t like being wet,” I said quickly and she laughed.

“So that’s why you stink! You don’t take showers!”

I fake gasped. “I smell beautiful, thank you very much!”

She snorted. “If you say so.”

“I do, in fact, say so.”

We fell into silence again. We had reached her neighborhood sooner than I had hoped. I wanted more time with her.

“Come on in,” she said when we got there. “You’re soaked.”

“So are you,” I retorted.

“Which is why I have towels, dork,” she rolled her eyes, leading the way into her house.

It was cold and she shivered. She hurried to the bathroom and brought out a towel.

“Wanna watch a movie while we dry off?” she asked nervously.

That was it. That was the invitation. I gulped. A lot rode on my answer.

“Sure,” I said. “What do you want to watch?”

“You’re the guest,” she said. “Preferences?”

I thought. “Porno?” I asked with a smirk and she pushed me. I laughed. “Seriously, though, I like thrillers.”

She pointed at a drawer. “I have a couple there. Find something while I get us some drinks.”

“Yes ma’am,” I said, bowing to her and she rolled her eyes.