Status: Rating for language and mature content

Coffee and Love

Another Favor

Oradea was beautiful this time of the year. Snow fell in large flakes and my father carried me on his shoulders. He had just bought me a beautiful red fur coat and he was walking me through a special park. It had a large circle among the grass.

“See that circle,
cel mic {little one}?”

“Yes, Papa!”

“That’s where I met your mother. She was doing missionary work. It was love at first sight. I knew I had to marry her.”

I giggled and he put me back on the ground. He held my hand as we stood in the center of the circle. I laughed and ran around the outside of it. He smiled and put his hands in his pockets, watching me. A group of teenagers walked by playing techno music on their boom box. My father smiled sadly at me.

“Time to wake up,” he said.


I rubbed my eyes and frowned. My phone was ringing. I groped for it and answered.

“Hello?” I mumbled.

“Okay. What did I do?”

“Caleb? What time is it?”

“Like, 4:15 I think.”

“Why the hell did you call me at 4:15?”

“How did I scare you?”

I sat up. “Are you shitting me? You woke me up from a perfect dream just to ask how you scared me?”

“It’s bugging me.”

I sighed heavily and fell back on my back. “I was in a small room with a guy that’s been flirting heavily with me and had me sign a contract for a shoot. Oh, by the way, the photoshoot made me feel like I was posing for pornography. Then, when I go to his studio for a tour, we’re in this small room and he keeps pressuring me to kiss him. How would you feel?”

He didn’t say anything for a minute. “Wait. You thought I was going to rape you?”

I rolled my eyes. “Can I go back to sleep now?”

“Dude. I would never do something like that!”

“Good night, Caleb,” I said and hung up.

-

“I swear, you’re the best barista on this damn planet,” I yawned, accepting the coffee from Stephen.

He laughed. “Late night?”

“I had a stupid phone call at 4 in the damn morning and I couldn’t get back to sleep,” I said moodily, sitting in my usual spot. “Some damn asshole dick.”

He cringed. “It must have been bad. I haven’t heard you talk like that in a while.”

I just grumbled and turned my computer on. While I waited, the door opened and Caleb walked in. I ignored him as he went to the counter and ordered a mocha latte. Without asking, he sat at my table and plugged his laptop in. Neither of us spoke for several hours.

“Investor liked our pictures,” he said finally.

“I’m glad to hear that.”

“He’s going to take us on.”

“That’s exciting,” I said honestly, looking up. “Are you going to move to a new studio?”

“Not yet,” he shook his head. “We have to get more money, first.”

I frowned. “Isn’t that what an investor is for?”

“Yes and no,” he said. “He’s different. He wants us to earn the money for the studio but he’s helping us get better cameras and computers.”

“Yeah, you were working on a dinosaur,” I said, looking back at my computer.

He chuckled. “You’re not wrong there.”

My phone rang and I stared at the phone number. I didn’t recognize the number but it had an OKC area code so I answered it.

“Mirela Garrett,” I said, pulling my notebook over.

“Hey Mirela. It’s Luther Banks. Is Caleb there?”

I sighed. “Yes. Are you wanting to talk to him?”

“He hasn’t told you yet?”

I stared at Caleb and he was smiling at me sheepishly.

“No,” I said slowly.

“We need you again for a photoshoot.”

“No,” I said right away. “Good bye, Luther.”

“Wait! Don’t hang up!” I sighed. “It’s not like the other ones, I swear to God.”

I closed my eyes wearily. “What’s the theme?”

“Cliché romance.”

I frowned. “How do you do a shoot for that?”

“Come along and you’ll find out. We’ll pay you the 400 again if you want. It’s a one day shoot this time.”

I sighed heavily. “What day and time?” Caleb cleared his throat and rubbed his neck. “Hold up. What else aren’t you telling me?”

“Well… it’s about your photo partner.”

I laughed. “Some over muscular jock player?”

Luther laughed loudly and Caleb narrowed his eyes at me.

“That’s the perfect description!” he snorted. “Your partner will be Caleb.”

My mouth dropped. “Come again?”

“You heard right. So? What do you say? It’ll be on Saturday so you don’t have to take off for work.”

I bit my lower lip. “I don’t know, Luther….”

“Can he hear me?”

“No.”

“This is the first time he’s been a model. He needs someone he’s comfortable around.”

“Why wasn’t I given that luxury?” I snapped, turning a little red.

“Because Caleb is an asshole.”

“Well, you’re not wrong there. How do you know he’s…?”

“Comfortable around you? You’re the first girl to deny him. He won’t feel pressured to flirt with you during the shoot. I don’t want him ruining it by doing his best to get his partner in bed.”

“Is this another one of the investor’s projects?”

“Nah. This is something I’ve been wanting to do since college.”

“So I’ll be doing you a favor.”

“Yep.”

I sighed. “All right,” I said and saw Caleb smile. I glared at him. “I’m doing this for Luther, Caleb.”

“Understood,” Caleb said quickly.

“Thanks! I’ll see you on Saturday at 8.”

“Okay. See you then.” I hung up and glared at Caleb. “Will there be a day you’ll actually be straight with me about a photoshoot?”

“When I’m involved? Probably not.”

I rolled my eyes. “At least you’re honest,” I mumbled.

-

I picked up Arby’s on the way home and told my mother about the photoshoot.

“This is exciting, Mirela!” she said. “You’re finally getting to be something your father didn’t pressure you to be.”

I looked away. “Ma, you know how important me being an entrepreneur was to dad.”

She sighed. “I didn’t mean it like that, sweetheart. But I know you wanted to do photography. You’re getting the chance.”

“But the last one-”

“Just draw a line this time,” she said. “I didn’t like that he kept the outfits from you but this Luther sounds like he’d be more honest with you.”

I nodded. “He is. He’s a fun guy, too.”

She winked at me. “How much fun?”

I laughed. “He swings the other way, Ma.”

She pouted. “Darn. Well, I think you should go and do the editing with Caleb.”

I wrinkled my nose. “I’ll bring my own stool this time.”

She laughed.