‹ Prequel: Disobey
Sequel: Alleyways

Before

You're Going Home

LOCATION: Unknown
DATE: Unknown


83 hours had gone by since Bucky had slept - though he wasn't unsure if what he did even qualified as sleeping. He waited out the better part of his days for the lives around him to cease moving before he made his moves. There were cameras everywhere now, not like back in whatever time it was that swarmed his mind here and there. No, this current place had many vast differences to wherever it was that he had been previously. Cameras, even he knew, would get him caught; he couldn't afford that after finally breaking free. Because of this he found himself sticking to areas with heavy trees. Surely there wouldn't be anyone there to see him, especially not at night.

But the length at which Bucky had gone without any form of rest was far too long as of late and suddenly something was wrong with him that he could not identify; something foreign to him. There had to be. Among the dried leaves bursting under his heavy-booted steps and crickets singing their songs of summer there was a voice invading his mind. A monotone, distorted whisper. It wasn't a voice that matched up with anyone he'd crossed paths with while destroying Hydra bases. Or was it?

His stealthy sneaking slowed to a stop, his lean body balancing against a tree as the memories started to flash through with great detail. "Remember." The same voice from before, whispering again and again. The voice overlapped, playing over itself until it was like white noise to his ears. Suddenly he was running, confusion taking over. He was angry with Hydra - they had taken everything from him repeatedly - and despite not remembering such, he knew that he had every right to feel the anger that had been constantly spilling over the surface. For one of their own agents to help him? How could he miss that? He should have saved them before wrecking the place; they were one of the good guys, whoever they were.

"No!" The drawn out scream of anguish that slipped beyond his lips sparked something in someone nearby. Bucky had no idea where he was, but that didn't stop the tears that threatened to spill from his eyes. This Winter Soldier, this monster Hydra created managed to take hold even when he was positive that the right thing was being done. Never once did Bucky think that tearing down such an organization could be wrong. They had hurt far too many people, himself included, and he just wanted to leave it all behind. Now because of the fog they forced him into... because he failed to formulate a complete plan, innocents had died at his hands.

Or were such mass killings all part of their plan? Had they programmed him to do this? Swirling thoughts, images, and words ravaged his mind in a flurry that he was unable to keep up with. He would never be truly free of them, never be able to escape their grasp. Cut off one head, two more shall take its place. As it were he was allowed not one secret from them. No matter what he did, where he went, who was involved... Hydra always found him. As long as he knew something, anything, eventually so did they.
♠ ♠ ♠
Unedited. Any takers?
WC: 544
Thank you to the lovely Sam for this equally lovely layout!


DISCLAIMER: © James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes to Marvel. I own the plot and the words.
Okay I don't literally own each word (obviously) but I wrote this piece.