Down This Road

one / one

‘You’re the prettiest girl here.’
You slowly sneaked and weaseled into my heart leaving only a yearning for your love behind. And when you finally snatched away my heart, I was completely at your mercy.

‘I love you.’
Wanted. Your attention. Your eyes. Your hands on me, brushing against my skin, sending electrical pulses throughout my body.
‘I love you too.’
The nervous pounding in my chest slowing with the release of a held breath when you said it back.

‘This is it.’
My excitement boiling over as we drove down a road of immaculate homes with perfectly kept lawns, stopping at a house nestled at the end of the cul-de-sac.
‘I think so too.’
And it was where the beginning of our lives started.

‘I wish we could stay like this.’
Your words softly whispered as we swayed side to side in our new home, heads ever lightly touching with the glow of dusk spilling into the room.
‘We have forever.’
I naïvely replied, resting my head against your shoulder, with visions of what forever would be for us playing on a loop in my mind.

‘I’m in love with another woman.’
Harsh like that morning’s wind against my face, your words stung, cutting deep and mercilessly.
‘Don’t leave me.’
My desperate and pathetic plead filling the silence.
‘I’m sorry.’
You briefly paused in the doorway before disappearing out of my life.

‘Eli was cheating on me.’
Bitter is the taste of your name passing from my lips now when I speak of your actions with the girl living next door.
♠ ♠ ♠
BLAH