Status: active with slow updates

Polaroids

Sound of Silence

I opened my eyes to the sound of clattering, and drew a deep breath so I could let out a yawn and stretch. I don't know how long I slept for but it was now dusk, the sun was setting. Reaching over I grabbed my phone and checked it. 65 missed called from Jared and 20 voicemails.
Choosing to ignore it, I turned the phone off. I would need a new one if I was going to stay here anyway.

“Hey sleepyhead.” A voice chuckled. I looked up to see Tyler's head in the door. “Just came to wake you. Dinner is ready if you want to join us.”

I nodded and looked around for my daughter, but there was no sign of a crib or her. “She’s down the hall with Josh. He’s really taken to her, it’s quite sweet.” Tyler said, obviously sending my worry.

“Oh, okay...” I mumbled and swung my feet out of the bed. Just as Tyler was about to walk away I looked up “Hey...”

He stopped and turned around with a pleasant smile “Yes?”

“Thank you, for helping me and Ella... You’re great for Jenna, really. I’m happy she found herself a decent guy.”
Tyler nodded with pink tinted cheeks and left me to get myself out of bed.

I pulled on my cardigan and shuffled out of the room.
“This little piggy got eaten because baby Ella has the cutest little feeties!”
I peered into the living room, Ella was lying on her back on a blanket, staring up at Josh with a big grin, and a bit of dribble leaking down her cheek.

“She likes you.” I said quietly, taking a seat behind him on the sofa. He seemed quite happy sitting cross legged on the floor. “Thanks for looking after her whilst I slept.”

Josh turned his head and grinned at me as she wrapped her hand around his finger. “She slept a lot of the time, made Jen change her diaper though.”

I laughed a little as he picked her up and rested her against his knees so she was up right. “She’s my new best friend, aren't you baby Ella?!”

Dinner was dished up, so we placed Ella into a crib which they bought when they knew I was coming out here and went into the kitchen, taking a seat at the table.

“Hey Katie,” Jenna smiled and placed a bowl in front of me “how was your sleep?” I gave her a warm smile back and picked up the spoon that Tyler handed to me as Josh took the seat opposite me.
“Best sleep I have had in a long time.”

Dinner was delicious, I ate it every single bit of it, normally I don’t get time to eat which is probably why I enjoyed it that much more. I washed up with with Tyler whilst Jenna sat and cuddled Ella, making baby noises with her.

“She’s getting broody.” Tyler chuckled as he dried a plate and placed it back into the cupboard where it belonged.

“Is that a bad thing? I think you would both make great parents.” I smiled and dried my hands off, going over to Ella as she yawned. “oh, my baby girl is sleepy! Time for bed.”

I let everyone give her a kiss on the forehead before taking her to the room we were sleeping in and set her down in the travel cot that had been set up.

[Josh]

Watching Katie carry her daughter off to bed bought a smile to my face. I loved children, and Katie was an amazing mother from what I could see.

“She’s lovely, I can’t believe that someone would treat her so badly.” A frown curved my lips down as Jenna rubbed my shoulder.

“Why don’t you go and help her with Ella, check how she’s doing”

I nodded and stood up, making my way down the hall, stopping in the doorway of their room. Katie was singing softly, one of her fingers were wrapped up tightly in Ella’s hand. What a sweet image.

“And in the naked light I saw, ten thousand people maybe more.
People talking without speaking,
People hearing without listening.
People writing songs, that voices never share,
And no one dare disturb the sound of silence.”


Her voice was soft and sweet, and her eyes were fixated on her daughter. In that moment I saw that Katie loved Ella more than anything, I could see it in her eyes that she would walk through fire, take a bullet...do anything for that tiny baby right in front of her. I also saw how broken she was, but that she could hold herself together for this little human.

As sweet as the scene before me was, it was also one of the most heartbreaking things that I had ever witnessed.

She stopped singing and sniffled. So I took my chance. “You have a beautiful voice, Katie.” Her head lifted so I could see her blue eyes, but they were glassy with tears but it didn’t take long for her to drop her gaze back to Ella.

“How am I supposed to raise her on my own?”

“You’re not alone, you have us.” I whispered.