Status: active with slow updates

Polaroids

Broken

[Josh]

We stayed up until 4:30AM talking, and not once could I stop myself from staring. The whole time I mentally asked why anyone would treat this girl so awfully. I learnt so much about her; she liked to play the piano, her big brother was her best friend, but she hadn't seen him since he moved out here with her Dad, so she was looking forward to catching up with him tomorrow.
Katie's favourite colour was plum purple, and she enjoys hiking.

Before she had Ella she used to volunteer at a homeless shelter. This woman was incredible, sweet and so selfless. Everything she ever did was always for someone else, it was clear that she hadn't had any time to do anything for herself.

I looked at her as she dozed on the sofa, her cheek resting in her palm. She was rather beautiful, and I really didn't want to disturb her from her sleep but she would be far more comfortable in a bed, so I scooped her up into my arms and carried her through to her room. Laying her down in her bed and covering her over gently.

"Sweet dreams, Katie." I whispered and kissed her head before leaving the room.

[Katie]

A few days had passed since I sat up all night talking with Josh, we had started growing closer. It was nice to have a friend.
He was really good with Ella too, she seemed to love him just as much as he loved her.

"How are you settling in?" Dad asked, taking a sip of his coffee. I just nodded and replied with "Not too bad, these guys are amazing and have been helping me take care of Ella so I can get some rest and stuff."

Which was all true, they hardly let me lift a finger. "Josh and Tyler go on tour soon though so it will just be me and Jenna, until she joins them?"

He offered for me to stay with him, but I know he doesn't have that much room, so politely declined.
"He's been eyeballing you for the last couple of days you know." He nodded in Josh's direction. I simply let out a soft snort and shook my head.
"We've become good friends, have a lot in common and he's super good with El."

Dad nodded, a small grin on his face. "Just don't be afraid to put yourself out there, darling. Not all men are like that twisted bastard."

I looked away falling silent. Did he really think that I would automatically put myself back out there? After everything I have just been through?

After my conversation with Dad, I spent most of the day in my room, reading. Jenna and Tyler had taken Ella out for the day so I had some alone time.

"You just going to lock yourself away?" Josh was in the doorway. I looked everywhere but at him. Was he really after more than just friendship? "Are you ignoring me, Katie?" He frowned, his shoulders dropping.

I felt bad for being moody towards him when he hasn't even done anything wrong so I shook my head. "Just don't feel like socialising much today, that's all. Are the others back yet?"

Josh shuffled into my room with a tiny smile on his face, I could tell he was being cautious. "On their way, apparently Ella is fast asleep."

"Glad she had a good day..." Words disappeared, I had no idea what I should say.

He sighed softly and sat on the end of my bed, twiddling his thumbs. His hair had faded to pink and he hadn't shaved so some stubble coated his cheeks, he was actually kind of cute. Josh had a boyish charm in his looks, it was actually a wonder how he hadn't got a girlfriend.

"Can I ask you something?" His voice was soft and he looked up so our eyes met. I nodded once and bit the inside of my lip, feeling my stomach do flips. Why was I so nervous?

"Why did you stay with that guy and let him hurt you the way he did?"

Oh. It was like all the air had been sucked out of me, the room suddenly felt cold as memories came flooding back to me. "I... uhm."

[Josh]

Suddenly Katie went very pale and her eyes welled up as she hugged her knees, chewing her lip. It was not my intention to put her in an uncomfortable situation.

"Hey, it's okay you don't have to tell me." I whispered and gently rubbed her arm as I could see she was starting to hyperventilate.

"I have had nightmares every single night since I got here..." Katie sniffled and wiped at her eyes. She looked so scared and shaken, even though she was completely safe. "I have no idea what I am doing with my life anymore because he ruined everything. I loved him...I really did..."

I decided not to press the matter anymore, and bought her into my arms for a tight hug. She wrapped her skinny arms around me and held on, clutching at my shirt.

"I'm here for you, ya know, Katie. Doesn't matter what time of day it is. If you have nightmares just come and get me, I am only down the hall, okay?"

She nodded and buried her face into my chest. Seeing her in this kind of state struck a pain in my chest.
She was so broken, and all I wanted to do was fix her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay. I know this one sucked but stick with it! The next chapter is moving forward into a few months :)
Comment, follow, message me! I love talking to new people.
Also, I post more on Wattpad at the moment as it is easier to use on my iPad. So catch up with me there if you are on it. Give me a follow - I always follow back :) I'm under @accio_stacey