Status: for maude!

Perfect

three

Maude crumpled up the note, holding it in her fist for a few moments and shaking her head, her red hair falling into her face. A mix of emotions were running through her, angry and sadness merging with annoyance and confusion. She stood still and looked around the empty house, most of Pierre’s possessions still laying around, and she realized that he really didn’t think his plan through.

She put the crumpled piece of paper on the counter, grabbed her keys, and walked out to her car. The sun was just beginning to set as she started the engine, making her way towards Pierre’s favourite hiding spot. The silence that had settled over her while she drove was making her anxious, she could feel her heart beat through her hands gripping the steering wheel, and as she turned up the volume on the radio, she couldn’t help but laugh.

Pierre’s voice echoed throughout the car, filling the silence with lyrics she knew so well. She sang along, the irony of it all enough to lift the anxiety that was bubbling through her system as she let the song play. As she pulled into the parking lot that was situated just before the beach, she took a deep breath, hoping that she hadn’t been wrong.

She stepped out of the car, her feet hitting the pavement, and she walked towards the dock that stretched into the water. The sun had almost set now, casting rays of orange and pink onto the world below, and she stopped at the beginning of the wooden structure, her eyes searching for the man she was looking for. She saw him, sitting in the corner that he always occupied when he needed to think, and she took a deep breath as she walked towards him.

“You thought you could get rid of me that easily?” she asked, her voice echoing slightly, and then dying off at the waves below them swept the words away. She saw him shift and lift his head, but he didn’t turn around.

“Why are you here, Maude?” his voice cracked when he said her name and she felt a pang of emotion in her chest. She shifted her weight between her feet and walked towards him, taking a seat beside him on the smooth wood.

“You don’t need to leave just because things are hard,” she lowered her voice, moving her hand towards his, which was resting on the dock between them. He flinched but left his hand where it was, the warmth radiating between them. He shook his head, and with a quiet voice, said “but you’re amazing, and I’m not good enough for you.”

"Look at me," she said softly, putting a finger under her chin so his sadness-filled eyes meeting hers.

"Neither of us are perfect, that's the secret. We just make it work,” a smile had spread across her face and she grabbed his hand, lacing their fingers together and pressing her lips against the back of his hand. He paused for a moment, looking at her, and then slid himself over, draping his arm over her shoulder.

“The letter was kind of a stupid idea,” he said sheepishly and she laughed, leaning her head against him, and watched as the sun was swallowed by the horizon.