Pointy Sticks and Crossbow Bolts

After

AFTER.

Charging through through the woods, following the creak with a plan to flank the Governor and his attackers. They had enough ammo on them to easily lower half the population.

"Get down" Daryl grunted, shifting into a stealthy crouch behind the trees, gripping his buck knife tightly, scanning the field beyond them, searching for anyone in the trees with them.

"We're splitting up." He decided abruptly.

"What?! No!" Haley hissed, grabbing his arm, yanking him back before he could step out from the shadows.

"What? If we flank 'em, it'll be harder to hit us, 'nstead of us hiding together, making us a bigger target. Now are you with me or ain't ya?"

Sighing, Haley nudged him forward, "let's get this over with, then..."

Dropping down flat onto the ground, they scoured the area one last time before splitting up, army drawing through the thick, deep grass to flank the attacking party.

Haley stopped to listen to the Governor's conversation with Rick every few moments, trying to keep tabs on how things were progressing and if things were going south. Digging her elbows into the damp earth, she pushed on, stopping to rest at an angle from the tank, Daryl in the same position on the other side, the top of his head visible through the thick reeds of grass, scanning again, his machine gun slightly raised, locked and loaded, ready for a threat.

"–We wouldn't have to see each other until we're ready. We could live in separate cell blocks–"

"I don't think my family would be comfortable knowing you were under the same roof." The Governor interrupted with a charismatic, eerie smirk.

"It could work..." Rick sighed desperately.

"It could, you know it could." Someone else spoke up. Haley perked up at the sound of the familiar voice, searching the collection of vehicles to land on Hershel and Michonne crouching execution style in front of the Governor.

"It could, but it can't." The Governor murmured. "You're running out of time, Rick. Less time to safely get your people out of here."

A gurgling growl approached, and Haley turned to see a walker approaching her, threatening to blow her cover. The Governor turned towards the distraction, drawing his pistol, pulling the trigger, the walker fell back in a bloody heap.

"That noise is just going to draw more of 'em in, make it harder for you to get out of here." The Governor tilted his chin up in satisfaction, sensing that he was winning. Rick's face was desperate and hopeless. He couldn't lose his home again.

"They're also going to pile up against the fences, and without the fences, this place is useless." Rick threatened with as much strength as he could manage.

Something changed in the Governor's eyes. They darkened and he scowled as Rick. "We'll fix the damn fences..." He moved away from the front of the group, heading to the jeep, where someone handed him something long and shiny.

"We have nothing else to talk about!" He roared as he marched to the front again, posing himself beside Hershel, he revealed Michonne's katana, placing the razor sharp blade against his throat.

"Let him go!" Rick shouted, charging the chain link fence, slamming his palms against it, making the whole fence rattle with the blow. The Governor smiled at him sadistically. "Hershel doesn't have to die. Just leave, and no one has to."

There was a tough decision to be made. The entire prison for the price of their lives. Conflict colored Rick's face for a few more moments of silence. The Governor seemed to be enjoying the torture he was putting him through.

Ducking to crawl further, Haley dropped to the dirt again, maneuvering the ground as silently and as carefully as possible. None of the guards looked in her or Daryl's direction.

Sliding up beside the tank, she sat up, quietly checking that her rifle was fully loaded, before creeping up further. From there, she could see everyone but no one could see her. Rick glanced at her, well hidden surprise coloring his expression for a moment. He dropped his gaze and pinched the bridge of his nose while the Governor patiently awaited his decision.

"Well? What's it gonna be, Rick? Are you leaving or do we have to kill you all? Starting with Hershel and Michonne." He pressed the blade closer to his throat. Hershel reacted by stiffening up.

Hearing a panicked cry, Haley looked towards the prison, where the others were lined up at the fence, silently praying, visibly shaking. Taking a deep breath and holding it, she peeked out from behind the tank, there was now a soldier flanking the Governor, not a fuck given for what was about to happen to the old man in front of him.

"Rick..." The Governor growled with client bed teeth.

In an instant, the blade pulled away from Hershel's throat, only to come flying back at a mind numbing speed.

"No!" Haley shrieked in panic, lunging from cover, distracting the Governor from his murder mission momentarily. She squeezed the trigger, grazing his arm, and hitting the Soldier behind him square in the chest.

Unharmed, Hershel and Michonne rose from the ground, hurrying for cover while he recoiled like an angry rattlesnake, drawing his pistol, he fired three times quickly in her direction.

Haley dropped back down behind the tread while Daryl hurried to her aid, covering her while she caught her breath.

"Get Hershel and Michonne!" Daryl shouted at her, tossing another cartridge in her direction before taking a fighting stance, picking off all the soldiers who attempted to charge him.

Scrambling to her feet, she ran towards the jeep where they'd taken cover. Rounding the corner, she froze in shock to find Michonne forming a tourniquet on Hershel's left arm and lower leg. "He was hit!" She shouted over the gunfire.

Before Haley could react, the Governor, angry and wounded, shouted for them to attack. The tank rumbled forward and Rick lunged out of the way as it crushed the chain link into the mud like a soda can.

"We need to get you out of here!"

"How?! We're surrounded."

Another soldier ran out in front of them, Haley gunning him down before he could react.

"Just follow my lead." She told them urgently, crouching to help pull Hershel's arm over her shoulders, shoving a pistol into Michonne's hands.

"Use this. We're going straight through." Haley struggled with Hershel's weight.

"Are you crazy? Michonne demanded, "you're going to get us killed!"

"I won't." Haley promised, pushing on, not waiting for a reply.