Status: This story is currently undergoing editing. This is the most recently edited version. I welcome thoughts, critiques, and suggestions.

Eclipse

Eclipse-Chapter Three

“But people are oceans.’ She shrugged. ‘You cannot know them by their surface.’”-Beau Taplin

Yekaterina Nightstorm.

“Kat?” She looked up into the innocent eyes of her sister Nadia.

“Good morning. How did you sleep?”

“Fine. It’s afternoon you know? Did you sneak out again?”

“Yes, why?” She shrugged, utterly unapologetic. She’d woken briefly after her encounter with the Vampire to find he’d put her in her bed.

“You shouldn’t do that!” Nadia admonished. She reacted this way every time she discovered that Kat snuck out.

“Why?” She snorted. “I’ve been doing it for years, and I’m leaving here as soon as you go off to America.”

“I know, but the village is dangerous at night!” Kat smirked. If only she knew just how dangerous.

“I know. But I also know how to look after myself. Besides, don’t you have better things to worry about like marrying that boy of yours?” Nadia blushed scarlet, and Kat hugged her. “Are you excited?”

“You have no idea. I just wish you would come with me.”

“I know. But I have no desire to leave Grey Childe village.”

“That’s why he calls you Comrade.” Nadia giggled. Kat rolled her eyes.

“I am proud to be Russian. There is nothing wrong with that.”

“I agree,” Nadia murmured.

“I’m so happy for you.”

“Thank you, Kat. He’s here visiting, did you want to come out with us?”

“No. I need to check in with Inga.”

“Okay, well if you change your mind we’ll be at the fair.”

“Have fun.” They hugged, and Nadia left, a spring in her step. Kat left her hair down; donned a long skirt that concealed her daggers and a flowing shirt. After eating a hearty breakfast, she brushed her teeth and made her way to Inga’s hut.

The orphanage required everyone to get a job once they hit the age of fifteen to learn productivity. Kat found herself with Inga. She was an older woman, in her seventies. She ran a small hut and provided holistic medicine and herbal remedies as well as amulets. The old lady had been a Romany a long time ago but had settled here, giving aid to the village.

When Kat walked in looking for a job it was like meeting a long-lost family member, and they had been close ever since. It also helped that Inga acted as the liaison between the Vatican and her. All slayers were funded by the church and had been for centuries.

Kat walked into Inga’s cabin and ducked under the various roots and herbs hanging from the ceiling to dry. The hut was as old as the woman who lived there, and it was a miracle it didn’t need rebuilding after every storm. She stretched once inside, reveling in the feeling of being at home.

“Hey, old woman. How are those brittle bones of yours?”

“Well, enough child. You should learn to respect you, elders.” Kat grinned at the instant response. She loved their banter.

“I probably should, but like an unkillable vampire, it will probably never happen.” She
smiled at Inga’s scoff.

“How was your hunt last night?”

“Infuriating. I took one out but I also met the new vampire in town.”

“Oh? Did you fight with him?”

“Yes. I lost. Badly.” Inga turned and gave Kat her full attention, her wrinkled features cast with worry.

“You look okay.”

“That’s because he healed me.”

“He what?” Inga said incredulously.

“I know. Apparently I intrigue him.”

“He told you this?”

“Yes. What do you make of it?”

“I think he may have some motive. Had you ever seen him before?”

“He is the same one who helped Nadia and me.”

“Did he tell you why he was in town?”

“He said he was settling down.” Kat paled. “Wait. You didn't think when he said I intrigue him that he meant…”

“Looks like he may want you to settle with him.” Said Inga thoughtfully. Kat shivered. The very idea was abhorrent to a person whose whole life was killing vampires.

“Well. That’s creepy.” Inga laughed at her.

“You’ll find a way to beat him, especially since you’ll have help.”

“Help?”

“This little girl couldn’t possibly be any help. She is a village girl like any other with worse manners.” A gruff voice sounded behind her. Kat whirled around and had a dagger to his throat. He just barely managed to block it and had a smug expression that he’d stopped her.

That quickly changed when he realized she had another knife pressed into his gut. By no means did she have him, but she could do him some serious damage if she wanted.

“What did you say about my manners?” She questioned, eyes narrowed. He smirked.

“Well met Slayer.” She withdrew her dagger and turned to Inga, mind reeling.

“Inga I work alone. He’s going to drive me insane.”

“Good. You need a bit of insanity in your life. Besides he’s as good if not better than you are at slaying. This new vampire is too much for you alone, and it is only your youth that makes you think he isn’t.” Kat opened her mouth to protest, but Inga cut her off. “No! You are working with him, so you had better get over it and take him along on your hunt tonight. You need to show him around.”

“I’m hunting for specific information this evening. I don’t need him getting in my way.”

“Put it off for another evening. He needs to learn the town.”

“He’ll only slow me down.”

“I will not slow you down.” Kat turned to look at him.

“You know nothing about this town; it’s people, the variety of vampires who live here, or where anything is. I don’t need a rookie slowing me down if I have to fight tonight.” She groused. He raised an eyebrow at her.

“Inga, control her!”

“I’ve tried. She respects me, which is the best anyone can hope for. You’ll have to earn that on your own, though.”

“She called me a rookie.” He grumped. It was then that she realized there was something off about him.

“What is going on with you? Something is off.” She started to circle him, poking occasionally. He looked taken aback but amused. Inga laughed.

“Don’t be intimidated. She’s a lot like the vampires she hunts.”

“How fitting.” It was evident from his tone he meant to say more, but she drew her daggers again.

“You are wearing a glamor.” She growled, going into attack mode. Glamor only meant one thing to Yekaterina. Vampire. Inga stepped forward slightly.

“Yekaterina, back down!” Kat looked at Inga like the woman had lost her mind.

“He’s a vampire Inga.”

“No, he isn’t.”

“Then explain the glamor,” Kat demanded.

“He is half demon, half human,” Inga said carefully.

“Why do I sense vampire?”

“He also has a bit of vampire in him.”

“You want me to work with this?” Incredulity was Kat’s dominant emotion.

“I know how you feel. But this is different.” She wanted her to work with a vampire? Even if he wasn’t a full vampire, he still was one. Vampires had slaughtered her entire family. She could feel rage and sadness welling up inside her. She hated it when this happened, especially because it happened so rarely. Suddenly she just wanted to be alone so no one would witness the emotion raging under her skin.

“No.” Without further ado, she stormed out of the little hut and ran off into the woods.

Maximus Wolfe.

He watched the young slayer storm out. Despite her assumptions, he was no Rookie. He had a lot of experience, and he could see her reaction for what it was. Something bad happened to her because of vampires, and she had clearly not let herself mourn.
She was deadly, certainly. He heard the rumors. She was the scourge of the vampire race in this area. When she came in, she’d seemed so cocky and untouchable. She played the warrior to perfection. But then she’d lost control of her emotions, and he’d caught a glimpse of the woman hiding behind that armor.

He shook his head. She was still so young, but she called out to him. He hadn’t expected that. He would allow her to calm down and then attempt to get her to see reason.

Joy Parker

“Are you sure this is the way?”

“Darling, in a few minutes it will not matter.” His voice was silky and sweet, but he didn’t manage to conceal the hunger in it. Playing the part of the helpless victim to absolute perfection, she put her hand to her throat defensively and took a few steps back. Just as she expected him to do, he lunged, his true nature finally showing through.

His form was slimy and utterly bestial. The smell coming off of him was so foul she nearly gagged. She fought back her utter revulsion and twirled her daggers, slashing him deeply across the throat and plunging the other deep into his heart. He stopped in mid-air, and his cat-like eyes widened. Then he howled.

“Slayer!” He yelled. With that, she twisted her dagger and wrenched it out. He was dead before he even hit the ground. She dusted herself off and stood up, cleaned her weapons of their gore, and threw the soiled rag to the ground.

“That was impressive slayer.” It was the black eyed vampire.

Joy woke with a gasp, covered in cold sweat and sat up slowly. Her body was sore as if she’d been fighting for real. What kind of dream was that? She could hear someone hyperventilating and knew it was herself. She forcibly calmed her breathing and her heart rate followed soon after.

She got up and splashed some cold water onto her face, and looked in the mirror. She looked tired. There were dark circles under her eyes, and it was evident she had been crying.

How could she begin to make the choices set before her? How could she choose between her happiness and the safety of her parents? How could she save herself at the risk of their deportation?

At the same time, how could she marry a stranger and go off with him, leaving everything she knew and loved behind? He hadn’t said he was taking her anywhere, but she’d known it. Was it odd she hadn’t questioned that? No wonder she was having dreams about killing vampires. Her life was nuts, and it was translating into her dreams.

After a quick shower, Joy was beginning to feel a little more human. She pulled on some jeans and her favorite care bear t-shirt. She’d had it forever, and it was worn and faded but was comfortable.

She pulled her hair into a braid, left off makeup and went upstairs to the kitchen where Connor was gobbling down cereal like it was his last meal. The site of food made her feel nauseous. That happened when she got too stressed out.

“You look like hell,” Connor stated.

“Gee thanks, sunshine.” She smirked. “Had a nightmare.”

“Not surprised with everything happening.”

“I guess I shouldn’t be either.” There was an odd silence for a moment. It was always that way with Connor. He was a man of few words.

“Look, I don’t do the whole emotion thing, but I’m here for you if you need me. You did a good thing not staying with my brother because it was comfortable. When you realize he wasn’t what you needed, you didn’t lead him on. You’re a good one Joy Parker.” She could feel herself tearing up. Compliments from Connor were few and far between. If you got a good word from him, it meant something.

“Love you too man.” She grinned at him full on, and he blushed.

“Hell woman.” He put his bowl in the sink and swatted her hair before retreating to his room. She grinned, starting to feel better and poured herself some coffee.

Joy knew she was going to have to face her family eventually, but she knew she needed to have a talk with Derrik. Biting her lip nervously she pulled out her cell phone and dialed her home phone. Her father picked up.

“Hello?”

“Dad, it’s me.”

“Joy! You come home right now!”

“Look, Dad, I know you’re probably worried, and I apologize for that. But I need some time to wrap my head around this and figure out what to do.”

“You can do that here.”

“Not really. Look, I’m safe and not sleeping on the street okay?” He sighed.

“Thank you for telling me that.” He was angry, and his tone was sarcastic. Where did he get off being mad at her? He was the one who’d lied to her all her life.

“Look, Dad, I need to talk to Derrik.” There was stunned silence.

“Derrik?”

“Yes. You know my husband you never told me about? The only Derrik we know?” There was some noise, presumably while the phone switched users, and then a deep silky voice filled her ear.

“Hello, Joy. It’s good to know that you are safe.”

“Thanks. Look, can we talk?”

“Of course. Where are you?” Like she was going to tell him where she was hiding? Not bloody likely.

“Do you remember the gas station I work at?”

“Yes.”

“Can we meet there in an hour?”

“I look forward to it.” His voice was seductive, and she had to shake herself and do her best not to sound like a school girl with a crush.

“I’ll see you then.” She hung up the phone.

“Hey! Some crazy things are going on with you lately.” She turned to see Annie. She was Butch and Connor’s older sister. She was one of those blond bombshell types and was going to college in New York for fashion and design. She must have gotten home after Joy had fallen asleep late last night.

“No kidding.”

“So what does husband look like?” She sat at the kitchen table with her cup of coffee, looking chic and slim.

“Dangerous?”

“Like tattoos and a motorcycle hazardous or old school gangster dangerous?”
“More like the second one than the first.”

“Oh, yum.” Annie shivered in delight. “Did I hear you make a plan to meet up with him?”

“Ya. I want to learn more about him, and I think I’ll get more answers without my parents around.” Annie looked her over with a critical eye.

“You going like that?” Annie asked, raking a critical gaze over her outfit.

“What’s wrong with this?”

“You know you look like a kid right?”

“I’m eighteen, hardly a child.” She huffed. Annie smirked.

“Come with me.” Before Joy could say anything else, Annie grabbed her arm and pulled her to her bedroom. They passed a sleepy Butch on the way. Joy mouthed the word ‘help’ at him, but he just shot them a tired grin and shook his head.

When Annie finally let go, Joy leaned against the door frame and watched as Annie started rifling through her disturbingly large collection of clothing.

“He will take you more seriously if you dress better.” Annie threw a black tank top her way and Joy decided to humor her and put it on. When she looked in the mirror, she found Annie was correct.

She’d gone from looking frumpy to looking together and confident. It made her eyes stand out.

“This won’t send the wrong message?”

“What message would that be?”

“That I’m trying to impress him?”

“Look, sweetie, part of a woman’s power over a man is in her looks. Unless you start coming on to him, chances are he won’t misinterpret anything.”

“Alright, I’ll try things your way.”

“Get your answers. I’ll cover for you with the guys.”

“Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it.” She walked to the gas station, taking her time. It was quickly climbing towards one hundred degrees, and she didn’t want to meet him sweating like a pig. When she got there, she was ten minutes early, and he was already there, leaning against his car looking handsome and unflappable. She was suddenly glad of Annie’s intervention.

“Good morning.” He said.

“Hey. I wanted to talk, but it’s a scorcher out here. We could go inside.” He cocked his head at her.

“I passed a café on the way here. Allow me to treat you to lunch.” She thought about declining for a moment, but she was the one who asked him to meet with her.

“Thank you, I appreciate it.” He nodded. All the while he was watching her decide carefully. She moved to the passenger side of his car, but he beat her there, opening the door for her. The action startled her a bit but made her smile. Not even Butch did that, and he’d been a gentleman. “Thank you.” She murmured. He nodded and got into the driver’s side and she was struck again by how he moved. He reminded her of a panther on the prowl. The drive was short and silent; but comfortably so.

They reached the café in no time. It was a relatively new addition to the town, and she’d been there a few times. It was intimate and cozy. They made great baked oatmeal there that she occasionally helped herself to, and that was what she ordered. The way he watched her was odd, almost like he was trying to determine everything about her through her actions.

When they were finally alone, and both had eaten a bit, he looked at her.

“I assume you have questions.”

“Of course, I do.”

“Ask them.”

“Have you been in a cult all your life?” He seemed amused by her question.

“It is not a cult, and yes. I was born into the Society. You were born there too. You come from a long line of Society members who were all in good standing.”

“Except my parents.” It wasn’t a question, but he answered it.

“Yes. When they left they ruined their standing, but the Society does not punish the child for the sins of the parents.”

“How kind of them.” She said sarcastically. Immediately she realized that she may have come off rude. “Sorry, I have a dry sense of humor, and I didn’t sleep well, so my mind to mouth filter isn’t working today.”

“You didn’t sleep well? Why?”

“Bad dreams.” He nodded.

“What else would you like to know?”

“About you.” He raised a brow.

“That’s a broad topic.”

“Okay, let’s start with something easy then. What’s your favorite season?” He cocked his head at her as though no one had ever asked him that question.

“What do you want to know?”

“Alrighty then. What are your intentions? What are you planning to do here?”

“I was planning to come and claim my wife. To be honest; the fact that you would be unaware of all this never even occurred to me.”

“Okay, so what happens now? What if I ultimately decide to fight you?”

“Are you planning to?”

“I’m thinking about it.” He was silent for a moment as if he were unsure what to say.

“Honestly, it isn’t you per say. I have nothing against you personally. It’s just that I want the freedom to choose who I marry, and up until last night, I thought I did. I get the whole arranged marriage thing is probably normal for you, but not for me.

“I think I understand. However, you are my wife, and I plan to win this battle of wills.”

“Why? Do you want this because it was in a contract? You don’t even know me.”

“Fair point. What is your favorite season?” He asked with a smirk. She smiled in appreciation of his wit.

“Winter.” She said. He seemed surprised.

“Really?”

“I think it’s beautiful and dangerous at the same time. Sort of like the ocean.”

“I also prefer winter.” She smiled.

“So, was my Dad insane or is all this society stuff for real?”

“It is true.”

“So why was I promised to you?”

“Many of the women born into the Society enter into such unions.”

“Why?”

“Not all supernatural races are plentiful.”

“So they marry supernatural creatures to repopulate them?”

“Generally. Though some are born mates.”

“So that would make you a…”

“Supernatural. Yes.”

“I take it you aren’t a leprechaun?” He smiled at her.

“Of course not.” He studied her for a time. “You don’t believe me.”

“Would you believe you if you were me?”

“No.”

“Okay, pretend I do believe you. What sort of supernatural are you?”

“I am a Fallen.”

“What is that?”

“I am the product of a celestial being and a human. There are not many of us left.”

“So you’re half angel?”

“Angels are similar to celestial beings though they serve the One God. However no, I am not a half angel. My kind is an oddity in the supernatural world. We are not like vampires or werewolves. We cannot be classified because we are not entirely of this world.” She blinked at him.

“I’m not even sure how to respond to that.” She was halfway between freaked out and believing him because of the conviction in his eyes. She knew the silence between them had drawn on for a while, but he seemed content to let her absorb the information. They even left the café in silence.

Once they were at the gas station he jerked a bit, and she looked over at him, confused.

“I have a gift for you, Joy.” His voice seemed more resonant somehow. From the back seat, he pulled out a feather. It was nearly as long as her forearm and jet black. “Keep it. Perhaps you will have different dreams.” With that cryptic statement and his strange gift; he was driving away and leaving her alone to pull herself together. She hadn’t gotten nearly as much information as she had hoped for but she knew more than she had.

Joy wondered if she should tell Butch and Connor about this, but decided she was insane for even entertaining the idea that Derrik was telling her the truth. But then, he’d been so sincere; the conviction in his eyes and voice absolute. He didn’t even doubt a little bit what he said was true. Well, either that or he was a fantastic actor.

Still, what point would there be in lying about it? It could only serve to drive her away, so it had to be the truth right? She shook her head. She was giving herself a headache.

She went into the house and straight into the basement, plopping down onto the futon and holding the feather up in the sunlight coming through the basement window. It was soft and long and for some reason his gift of it felt momentous.

Even though he’d given it to her, though, she couldn’t shake the feeling that it wasn’t hers. It was that same feeling when you buy something in a store never to use it; only to realize a few years down the line that its perfect for someone else’ like you were just the messenger. She shook her head. She was nuts.

With a sigh she laid the feather over her stomach and pulled out her phone, typing the word ‘vampire’ into the google search. She felt the need to read up on some things.

After two hours surfing the web she’d read more on vampires, werewolves, and otherkin than she’d ever thought possible. Was this valuable research or had she just wasted her time? With a sigh, she plugged her phone into the charger and laid back down. She still had major choices to make and no idea how to avoid hurting the people she loved.

Yekaterina Nightstorm.

Kat ran into the forest and found a small clearing. She sat down, trying to fight unexpected tears. She would have to work with him. She knew this. She wasn’t stupid. She knew she was going to need help to deal with this vampire. He was far too powerful for her alone.

What scared her so bad, was that this new guy was a complete unknown. His glamor utterly fooled her. He’d looked so normal, and then he’d dropped it revealing silver hair and golden eyes. She’d never been fooled by glamor before. Not once.

She sighed and ran her fingers through her hair. Vampires she understood. But this guy, this guy she didn’t get at all. She lay down on her back, watching puffy white clouds go by.

Most vampires had an aura of power about them; a certain ageless quality and a whisper of terror that emanated from them. Her new partner was different. He carried that powerful aura, but it felt tempered with a hint of humanity. There was something warm about him that lacked in most vampires.

Eventually, after she was back in control, she went to Inga’s hut again.

“Inga.”

“You came back.”

“Yes. Care to explain all of this?”

“I would have earlier if you hadn’t run off in a huff.” Kat shook her head wearily.

“Just talk. Make it good too, because it had better be if I am going to work with a vampire. I imagine I’m hosting him?”

“You guess right young lady. This will be good for you. It isn’t good to be as alone as you are. Now, as for who he is; his name is Maximus Wolfe. He is one of the best vampire hunters in the world. If anyone is qualified to fight with you, it is him.”

“Look, Inga; I don’t want him living with me. I spend enough time hunting them, and I don’t need to live with one. Besides, I need my solitude.”

“You only think you need your solitude. What you need is a friend. Perhaps he will never be that for you, but at least, you won’t be alone.” Kat was slightly taken aback by the old woman’s words.

“I don’t need a friend. All I need is a weapon and a healthy body.”

“What about a life? You may be killing vampires, but they are killing you too, slowly and by degrees they chip away at your soul, taking your humanity from you. Your sister and I are the only links you have left to humanity. Your sister is leaving, and I will not live forever.”

“Wolfe is not human.” She argued.

“No. That is why he will be able to live with you. You won’t be able to kill him, and he has enough control not to kill you.” Kat winced at the insinuation that she was that out of control of her impulses.

“Old woman, none of this is necessary.”

“It is, and you know it. Besides, it has been decreed by the Vatican.” Kat sighed.

“Then I have no choice.”

“No,” Inga said with a smug grin.

“Fine. I’m going to the cabin to grab a few weapons and dress for hunting. Tell him to meet me in front of the orphanage in an hour. I need to see Nadia off before she goes. The geezer better be able to keep up with me.”

“First, he’s a rookie, and now he’s a geezer? You will run out of things to call him.”

“I’ll think of something else.” With that, she ran out of Inga’s hut to her cabin. She walked in and smiled in satisfaction. Everything was one hundred percent in order.

The weapons were hung neatly on the walls in perfect order from largest to smallest. Everything was fully stocked and impersonal. There was nothing here a vampire could use to hurt her.

She wandered into her room and smiled. This was her place; the only room in the cabin that revealed anything about her. A midnight blue quilt graced her bed. Various prints from artists she liked hung on the walls, and a set of double doors led to a tiny balcony. The cabin was sturdy and durable and perfect for her needs.

She rifled through her closet and pulled on a black top, loose dark colored pants and combat boots as well as the straps for her daggers. She braided her hair back and finished storing her weaponry. She was ready to hunt.