The Wilsons

eeny

Duncan Wilson was, put crudely, a social reject.

Whenever he asked his mother why his classmates teased him so relentlessly, Mrs. Wilson would always reply in the same manner: Duncan was unique, and little children were always scared of things that they could not control or understand. She would always ask him to simply ignore the taunts, to wait until the class grew up and realised the error of their ways. They would come around. Not even the cruellest of children could ostracise a fellow school-mate forever, surely?

Mrs. Wilson was wrong, however. As a teenager, Duncan grew taller and skinnier which only served to prompt a fresh slew of insults and pranks aimed his way by the thirty-four young adults that he shared a classroom with every day. They would vandalise his locker, prizing the door open and sending his coursework flooding into the hallway before trampling over his hard work, leaving it almost completely unreadable. His lunch would mysteriously move from his bag to the cistern of the disabled toilet on the second floor, leaving him hungry and irritable for the remainder of the day. Invitations to class parties and outings seemed to end up lost en-route to Duncan, and the teachers turned a blind eye to every complaint he made about the antics of the group. By the time his eighteenth birthday rolled around, Duncan did not have a single being he could call a friend. He turned up to school, dealt with whatever the day had dredged up for him and returned home, hiding in his room for hours on end.

With his eighteenth birthday came a small glimmer of hope in the form of the most important night of every teenager’s school career — prom night. The corridors of St. Marnock’s Catholic Academy were inundated with scenes of young, respectable men asking girls to be their date for the star-spangled night. Talk of dresses and kilts were rife amongst the students, and an excitable buzz fell over the usually drab classrooms. Even Duncan found himself joining in on the excitement — he had been plucking up the courage for weeks to ask out his school-time crush, Kaya, a beautiful young thing with blonde hair and blue eyes. That excitement was dashed in a heartbeat as his stuttered proposition was met with a peal of hysterical laughter and an onslaught of yet more insults and cruel jibes. Remarks were thrown around like daggers all day, reducing Duncan to tears and causing him to miss school for at least a week, citing ‘illness’ to his mother when asked why he was so down.

When he eventually plucked up the courage to go back to school once again, Duncan Wilson dealt with rejection in the only way he knew how: he stabbed that goddamn bitch Kaya Reid twenty-seven times in the chest.