The Emeryville Coffee Shop Owner

Post 12

My eyes narrowed. I had to face my fear for Roni’s sake. I took a big breath and swung open door to reveal Roni with a gun to her back and Danny struggling to unbutton her jeans. I stood there unnoticed by Roni and Danny as the horror scene before me unfolded. I crept quietly behind them and my eyes wandered towards the door not even a foot away from me.

No, I can’t leave Roni here. She wouldn’t leave me

I took another big breath and ran as fast as I could towards Roni, pushing her away from Danny. By the time Danny registered what had happened I had pushed Roni out the door and closed it behind her, trusting Roni to call the police from the Coffee Corner’s phone.

“I know you! You’re the guy Roni’s wanted to date since she was 15! Well back off buddy, you blew your chance and now that little lady is gonna give me the pleasure I crave.” Danny glowered at me.

“Hey I’m just trying to save Roni from guys like you!” I shot back. Danny pointed his gun at me. I winced, waiting for the shot but instead I heard the police sirens.

“Fuck!” I opened my eyes to see Danny running out the door letting his gun fall and he ran. I collapsed on the floor and sighed in relief.

*Roni’s POV*

“Billie! Are you okay?” I ran into my apartment followed by an officer.

“Yeah I’m fine. Are you okay Roni?”

“I’m fine.” I flung my arms around his neck for a moment before quickly releasing me him.

Wait a minute!

“Hey what were you doing here anyway? I thought you didn’t want to be near me because I lied to you.” I spat.

“Look Roni, I’m sorry I just didn’t know what to think. I was upset you lied but I didn’t mean what I said about seeing myself with you until I found out you had lied to me. In truth Roni, I’m sorry but I really never could see myself with you. I apologize that you had to find out this way.” He told me truthfully.

“Billie it’s okay. I mean I never expected anything to happen between us. I was mostly upset at the fact that I thought you didn’t want to be my friend because of the feelings I had for you.” He looked relieved.

“Ma’am will need to bring you in for questioning.” Officer Nelson told me.

“You can call me Roni, but what about Billie?”

“Another officer will take him to the station.” He told me and smiled.

“Okay then lets go Officer Nelson.”

“Please call me Drew.” He said before he drove me down to the station. I gave Drew my story and then he said I could go.

“Bye Drew.”

“Hey do you want to go out for lunch tomorrow?” Drew asked me.

Drew is pretty cute and now that I know for sure Billie won’t ever like me that way it’s time to move on.

“Sure, when?”

“Tomorrow? I’ll pick you up at noon?” Drew suggested.

“Okay. See you then.” I said and left.

***

The next morning Billie walked into the Coffee Corner as usual.

“Hey Roni, how did the questioning go last night?” He asked me before taking a sip of his coffee.

“Fine. Danny went to jail and I got a date.” I told him and he spit his coffee out in surprise.

“With who?” Both Katy and Tre chorused from where they were eavesdropping on me and Billie’s conversation.

“Officer Drew Nelson.” I informed them while smiling.

A few hours later Drew pulled up in front.

“Katy can you cover me while I go on my lunch date?” I requested.

“Sure thing, god knows you need a date.”

“I don’t know if I should thank you or not after that last comment…” I thought out loud.

“Forget about it and go on your date!” She commanded me. I walked outside and got into Drew’s car.

“No squad car?” I joked.

“No, sometimes the station actually lets me pretend to play citizen. Can you believe that?” He continued the joke.

Okay so he’s not very funny but I give him credit for trying.

I chuckled politely before asking, “Where are we going?”

“Just a diner I know of. I’m sure you’ll like it.”

“Okay then.”

Maybe I can finally move on from Billie Joe.