The Emeryville Coffee Shop Owner

Post 8

A week later I was alone at the Coffee Corner because Katy was out with Tre. The bell above the door jingled and I glanced up to see Billie Joe and his kids Joey and Jakob walk in.

“Hey guys!” I said with a smile, I always loved it when Billie’s kids came with him.

“Roni tell Joey to give me back my game boy!” Jakob whined and I held back a laugh.

“No, tell Jakob that he is just being weird. Plus I’m older and Jakob broke mine!” Joey argued back. I bent down and faced Jakob

“Jakob, you’re not weird and if Joey says you are again then tell him to come talk to me and I’ll kick him in the butt for you.” Jakob giggled at me and I turned to face Joey. “Joey, next time Jakob breaks something of yours let me know and I’ll convince your dad to buy you a new one but in the meantime give Jakob back his game boy.” I said as sternly as I could since all I really wanted to do was laugh.

“Hey!” Billie protested about him buying Joey a new one. I stood up and looked expectantly.

“What’s up?” I asked when he didn’t say anything.

“Oh, I was wondering if Joey and Jakob could hang out here for a while because I have to run some errands but they refuse to come with me and I can’t leave them home alone.” He explained.

“You can leave us alone dad, you just don’t want to.” Joey argued.

“That’s cause last time I left you two alone you got hungry and almost burned the house down while trying to cook something on the stove.” Billie shot back. I started to laugh until Billie glared at me, making me silent.

“I forgot about that.” Joey mumbled causing Billie to roll his eyes.

“Yeah sure I’ll watch them.” Billie nodded thanks and walked out.

A couple hours later, right before Billie was supposed to come pick the boys up, Joey was hanging out in the back while Jakob walked up to me and pulled on my jeans.

“Roni, how come my mom and dad don’t want to be married anymore?” He asked in a sweet voice. I saw Billie come in silently but when he heard the question he stopped to hear my answer. I bent down and picked Jakob up.

“Well Jakob they just got to the point where the realized they would be happier if they were no longer a couple.” I tried to explain.

“But I want them to be together! If I beg daddy will he be with mom again?” He looked up at me like he just got the most brilliant idea ever. I saw a panicked expression cross Billie’s face.

“Jakob, you don’t want to do that.”

“Why not?”

“Well…” I searched for the right words. “You love your mom and dad right?” I asked him and he nodded vigorously.

“Yeah.”

“Well when you love some one you want them to be happy, because if they’re happy you’re happy.”

“But I’m not happy when they aren’t together.” He argued.

“But when they were still together and were arguing every night, how did that make you feel?” I questioned him.

“I didn’t like it. It scared me when they fought.” He confessed.

“Isn’t better now that they get along and are living apart then living together and fighting every night?” I pressed and he nodded slowly, unsure of himself.

“I guess so.” He admitted and I smiled.

“See, when you truly love some one, it makes you happy just to know they are happy. So it is better for all of you now that your parents are separated.” I finished and glanced at Billie for his approval. He gave me a smile and I tried to ignore my stomach twisting at his smile.

“Come on Jakob, let’s get Joey and head back home.” Billie spoke up. Jakob nodded so I let him down and he went to find Joey in the back.

“I wish I could have thought to say that when Joey was on my case about it.” Billie groaned and I let out a chuckle.

“Maybe this is why my sister always said I should have become a psychiatrist…” I joked and Billie’s eyes widened.

“Do you know how much money you’d make?” I shrugged.

“Yeah but even if I wanted to, which I don’t, I wouldn’t be able to afford college. That’s why I never went to art school, I can’t afford tuition and I’m not eligible for a scholarship.” I explained and he nodded carefully.

“Maybe you’ll be able to go one day.”

“At 25? I’m okay. Anywho I like my life the way it is. Running this place is fun and can be exciting at times.” Billie nodded, gave me a wave, before he and the boys walked out the door.

***