High Tide

one/one

North Shores beach wasn’t a beach you sunbathed on. It wasn’t a beach for little kids with their sand castles. North Shores was a beach where the hopeless went to be romantic. Or the romantic went to be hopeless.

Or…something like that.

Austin and Alley preferred North Shores to most beaches.

They met weeks ago, along the tide. Austin often came with his pit bull Maximus, but on that particular day he didn’t. He found himself alone after work there, deciding a walk on the beach beat sitting in traffic.

That same day, Allie sat in the sand, the tide tickling her toes as it crept closer to the shore line.

“You’re in my chem class,” Austin stated as he approached her. Allie’s hand blocked the sun from her eyes as she stared up at him, puzzled. “Mondays and Wednesdays with Mr. Abis,” he clarified.

Allie squinted her eyes at him, still uncertain of his face. Austin immediately regretted approaching her. His mind ran for the exit sign; how to backtrack out of this one?

“I’m sorry,” she smiled genuinely to him. “I sit in the front, I don’t know anyone in that class."

“It’s okay.” He took a step back. “Nice seeing ya.” He left, heading back the way he came. This was why he brought his dog. He would have been too busy chasing Maximus; there wouldn’t have been a spare moment to contemplate talking to her.

That following Monday, Austin walked into chemistry, forgetting the incident in its entirety. The weekend took him by storm. Parties and dog parks with girls and their golden retrievers occupied his mind. Phone numbers added to his phone so “puppy dates” could be arranged.

Austin sat in the second to last row in the auditorium. He pulled out his lab book, forgetting to finish the conclusion of his report.

“Hey,” her gentle voice charmed his ears. Allie slid into the seat next to him.

The rest became a classical cliche.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ehhhhhhhhh. I don't know what I wanted this to be but this is what you get. Deal with it.