The Poison Prince

Chapter XIX

HER uncle was dead. There was nothing that Xylia could do to change that now. All she had left of him was the letter she held in her hands. She sniffed hard and stared down at it, a tear falling onto the thick, cream envelope and almost smudging the ink of her name. Bitterly, she wiped away her tears and perched on the end of her rented bed for the night. She was alone now, but she could hear Taiden in the adjoining room, pacing and fussing with something. Hearing him was calming enough, and it was helping her keep it together when what she really wanted to do was lash out, scream and cry. Her uncle was dead and she wanted to do something about it. She wanted Queen Devanna to pay this very minute for his murder. If she had thought she stood a chance at sneaking out and making a head start to the castle then Xylia would have already left the inn, but she knew that all three men were concerned about her more than they were about anything else right now. They’d have stopped her before she even reached the front door.

She turned the envelope over in her hand and pulled at the back, peeling the wax seal away. Her hands shook as she removed the folded parchment from inside and opened it out. Her ice blue eyes read the words slowly once, and then again, before taking them in a third time. After that Xylia quickly folded the letter back up and hurriedly bundled it back into the envelope before shoving it to the bottom of her satchel. Her uncle’s voice and his words echoed in her mind, but she chose to ignore them, to block out everything that he had written as he lay dying in the village of The Draca. Xylia would avenge him and then she could worry about herself and what he had wanted her to know before he passed. There would be time enough for that after Devanna had paid with her own life.

Julius knocked on Taiden’s door. He knew the prince had made it clear he wanted to rest up, but there were things that simply could not wait until morning. Julius wanted to speak to him without Xylia around. It was clear to him that the prince had grown close to the young girl, but the captain was worried about what kind of influence she might have had on him.
“Come in.” Taiden called after Julius knocked again.
The captain quickly stepped inside and closed the door behind him. He bowed gracefully and then straightened up. It didn’t matter where they were or what their travels might have led to; Julius would never forget his position.
“Your highness-“
“I thought I said we would talk in the morning, Julius?” Taiden sighed, dropping to his bed and resting his arm over his tired eyes.
“I don’t think this sort of thing can wait, your highness.”
“After everything I’ve been through, it can.”
Julius frowned at the prince, but chose to press on anyway. He knew how stubborn and dismissive Taiden could be at times. Sometimes it was best just to continue and make him listen even when he didn’t want to.
“It’s obvious that you have grown rather fond of the Draca mutt-“
Taiden was up off the bed in a second, squaring up to Julius with sharp anger flashing in his dark eyes. “I told you – I told everyone – she isn’t a mutt.”
Julius bowed in understanding, keeping his head dipped as he spoke again. “Forgive me, your highness. Everyone back in the village referred to Xylia only by that title.”
“An indication of their ignorance.” Taiden muttered, running his hand over the rough, light stubble now shadowing his jawline. His appearance was dishevelled, but tonight was the first time he had a mirror to notice it for himself.
“You cannot keep her at the castle.”
“Excuse me? Are you giving me orders, Julius?”
“No, your highness, of course not.” He sighed and tried to find the best way to say what he needed to say. “But if she is in fact going to help stop the queen then you can’t remain associated with her afterwards. People would talk.”
“People already talk.” Taiden said moving to face his captain of the guard with a challenging glare. “And Xylia will not face Devanna.”
“What? But I thought you wanted her to join you because of what The Seer told you.”
“And I still believe everything The Seer prophesised. I believe in it now more than ever before. However, I will not risk Xylia’s life for my own battle.”
Realisation washed over Julius and he took a step back, resting his hand on the dresser. “You have feelings for her now.”
Taiden evaded his statement, but continued nevertheless. “She has already lost her uncle. I will not have her lose her life.”
“Does she know you won’t let her fight?”
Taiden turned away, unable to answer Julius for the first time since he was a little boy.
The captain laughed and then stepped closer to the prince. “You cannot control the world, your highness. And you cannot control a wild heart like hers. She left the village of The Draca to fight the queen, and after her uncle’s passing I’m sure her resolve is stronger now than it was before.”
Taiden nodded his head. He knew Xylia wanted to fight, but he wanted to keep her safe more than anything else. “I know she won’t walk away from this easily. That’s why I want you to help me.”
“Your highness?”
“Xylia can stop Devanna’s magicks. She has her own abilities – I can’t explain them and neither can she; that really is a conversation for morning. If she goes up against my step-mother and harm comes to her I will never forgive myself.” Taiden explained to a confused looking Julius. “I would rather face Devanna alone than live with the guilt of losing Xylia.”
Julius shook his head. “You made this choice when you insisted she accompany you.”
“I know, but-“
“People are dying because of the choices you made. You can’t start choosing who to save now.”
“I just want to save her.” Taiden pleaded, his eyes wide with emotion.
“When a war comes, you don’t get to make the choice of who lives and who dies, your highness. We all pay the price of the battle the minute we choose sides! And it’s my job to protect you, not her.” Julius spat angrily.
“What she can do is worth ten of me.”
“You are the heir to this kingdom.”
“She can stop Devanna.”
“But you don’t want her to do that.” Julius pointed out. “Your emotions are getting in the way, your highness.”
“If I lose her, I will end up exactly like my father; lost to my own grief. Xylia is my hope in this hell of a kingdom.” Taiden growled at him, frustrated that Julius would not listen to him or do as he asked.
“We need more than hope right now, your highness.” Julius turned and walked to the door. “I will not risk your life to protect hope.”