The Poison Prince

Chapter III

THE seer was always smuggled into the castle using servant staircases. Still, Julius always felt the sweat building on his brow as he looked out for guards or maids who might be coming their way. It was crucial that no one ever noticed the seer’s presence at the castle when Prince Taiden summoned him; they had no way of explaining why the heir would want an all knowing monk in his chambers. Julius just knew he would be dismissed and then there was no knowing what the Prince might resort to in order to find the answers he sought. No one could see the blind monk being guided through the stone hallways, or up the winding staircases; there were already enough rumours circulating about the prince and by his hand there would not be any more.
“Come, hurry,” Julius could feel his heart pounding beneath the armour emblazoned with the royal crest. It didn’t matter how many times he did this, he always felt panicked.
The monk, his eyes white as the winters first snow fall, did not make any attempt to move quicker. A cracked smile pulled at his thin lips and he reached for the iron handrail as his foot tapped against the first of many steps. “Do not fret, Captain. We will not be seen.”
“Your words may convince the Prince, but I have no faith in prophecies or magicks.” Julius kept his voice low, ever feared of being overheard by some passing servant.
“That lack of belief could be your undoing.”
Julius glared at the hunched shoulders of the old man. He would not be tricked by a blind man sentenced to the monastery for claiming to know things he should not. People still turned to him for selfish guidance though and he seemed happy enough to give them answers, be them what they wanted to hear or not. Apparently that was how he had lost his eyesight many years ago. A wealthy merchant had visited him to hear of his future, disliked the fortune he received and blinded the seer with a hot poker pulled from the fire. The merchant supposedly perished on his way back to one of the kingdoms overseas in a storm that destroyed his ship along with many others.

Taiden was already waiting at the door to his chambers for their arrival. Forever impatient, the prince did not do well when he was supposed to have been sitting still for lessons, or following instructions. Julius had once tried to help him by telling him that he would not last a day in the royal guard, but Taiden had scoffed, telling him he didn’t intend to; he just intended to command it.
“Inside, quickly. Either the mice are wearing shoes, or my step-mother has more people coming by this way for reasons unknown.” Taiden made sure to lock the door and remove the key once Julius and the seer were inside.
“She is probably waiting for someone to report back on that healer…” Julius mumbled, but Taiden either didn’t hear him or simply chose to ignore the words of the Captain.
Instead, he gathered the seer into a warm hug, greeting him like one would an old friend. “It is good to see you again, seer.”
“Likewise, your highness. Of course, I see you slightly differently.” Gesturing to his damaged eyes, he smiled a bittersweet smile and then bowed slightly in respect.
“There is no need for the formalities,” Taiden shook his head and flicked his wrist. He had already changed out of royal garments into a loose fitting shirt and grey trousers not usually fit for a prince, but Taiden had never really conformed to his position as heir to the throne of Lyris. “I owe you so much for being able to come this far in my work.”
“And yet your Captain is still a non-believer.” Julius frowned at being spoken about as though he wasn’t in the room, standing to the immediate left of the chamber door in case anyone intruded upon this secret meeting.
Taiden laughed warmly, glancing over at Julius with a fond look in his eye. “Julius, for all his talent as Captain of the Guard, is less inclined to trust in my madness sometimes.”
Julius’ scowl deepened as the pair before him shared a moment of laughter as though they knew something he didn’t. He wasn’t a fan of the prince having secrets. In his experience, secrets got people killed.
“Come, let’s not waste time. I already know that you have much to ask, and I have much to tell you now.” The seer felt his way around the room until he found the desk where the prince usually sat to write letters he never sent, and read books his mother used to favour.

Prince Taiden pulled up another chair from the corner of his spacious chamber and sat next to the seer, who adjusted his own seat to face the curious, wide eyed prince. Those eyes watched in interest as the seer reached into a worn leather satchel and pulled free a cloth of ivory silk which he bound tight around the prince’s strong wrists and then looped around his own bony hands.
“You are keen to put an end to Devanna,” he stated coolly, those eerie white eyes lifting up towards the ceiling.
“I always have been.”
“But the desire has strengthened in you. You are ready for the throne.”
Taiden shook his head rapidly. “It’s not power which I seek. My father can keep his crown for as long as he breathes. My step-mother just cannot be allowed to continue punishing every crime committed with death.”
“It is too late for your father,” the seer spoke quietly with a sad shake of his head, “his soul left this earth with your mothers.”
Taiden swallowed hard, looking down at the fine silk bound around his hands like shackles, imprisoning him to a fate the seer foresaw. “You are the only hope this kingdom has now. You and…another. Brown hair, eyes like ice. And a fire, a fire that burns both cold and hot.”
“Another noble? Is there someone else who I can break to weaken my step-mother’s control?” Eagerness broke through in Taiden’s voice and Julius closed his eyes at the thought of another noble suddenly retreating mysteriously in the weeks to come.
“No. Not a noble. The blood of this one is tainted and yet…she should not be…” The seer’s brow creased and deep lines appeared as though destiny itself was mapped out across his aged skin.
Taiden followed the line of his blinded eyes, as though an image would appear for him too. “What is it? What do you see?”
“You must go north.”
“North?” The seer’s sudden declaration caught the prince off guard. “For what?”
“North is where the answers are. All the answers are in the north. More answers than you could ever hope to find. Answers for Lyris, and answers for things you couldn’t even dream of.” A small smile crossed the seer’s face, and Taiden knew in that moment that the old man knew more than he was revealing.
“I am only concerned about Lyris,” he said solemnly, refusing to put some wild goose chase before the good of his kingdom.
“You shouldn’t be. To save Lyris you have to look beyond her borders. You have to do more than any King has ever done before. You have to embrace the madness so many accuse you of.”
Julius stepped forward, clearing his throat loud enough to remind the seer and the prince that he was still present in the room. “I don’t think our Prince needs any more encouragement of the kind. Prince Taiden, your father needs you at the castle. The Queen’s Banquet is in less than a month. It is hardly appropriate for you to be running off to the north now.”
“You must go now. If not, then you miss this chance and the future of Lyris will be very different. Devanna cannot be stopped any other way. More players are in this game than you know of.” The seer argued in a desperate voice unlike any Taiden had heard from him before.
Hesitating for a moment, he looked at Julius long and hard before he parted his lips again. “Where in the north must I go?”

“This is a mistake, your highness.”
Julius followed the prince out through the door into the courtyard. The night was as black as they come with heavy clouds blocking even the brightest of the stars. It was perfect for sneaking away undetected. Dressed in his casual clothes similar to those worn by villagers, and disguised with a heavy cloak, Taiden had done all he could to hide his royal identity. All he needed now was his horse.
“The seer said this was the only way.”
“Forgive me, Prince Taiden, but the seer has only ever encouraged your madness.”
“Madness you call it? Julius, I am weakening Devanna’s control. With less nobles in the castle she has less order in the villages and cities. The more damage I can do that way the more freedom the people have; even if it is only for a short while.”
“It is hardly a battle plan.”
“But this is.”
“You don’t even know what is in the north. The seer babbled like a delusional old man. ‘A fire that burns both cold and hot’? It’s nonsense, your highness!” Julius blocked Taiden’s path as he reached the stables, trying in vain to stop the prince before he could leave the castle grounds.
“And what if it is the only way to save Lyris?” Taiden’s features softened and he let out a gentle sigh, “I know you never believed me about my mother, but you’ve always stuck by me regardless.”
“It was my duty, your highness.”
Taiden smiled sadly and nodded his head in understanding. “Still, there has been no one else at my side through these years. Julius, I am going to the north because I have to hope that I can save this kingdom, even if that makes me insane. I know my mother would have done the same.”

Julius softened his stance at the mention of Queen Ilia. He had always been fond of her, and of Prince Taiden. It was why he allowed him such eccentricities without reporting him to his father or step-mother. This though, this was something new entirely. It was running away from the castle in the weeks before one of the biggest royal celebrations of the year. He may not make it back in time, if at all. And they didn’t know who they were looking for; the seer had provided no name, no village or city, just – ‘she…’
“I hope the north is sparse on females, your highness, or we could be gone some time.”
The prince grinned wildly as the captain resigned himself to their impossible quest.