Sequel: Always a Hero
Status: THE MORE COMMENTS I GET, THE MORE UPDATES THERE WILL BE!!!

Once a Hero

No Regrets

It's times like this that I'm reminded of my simple days of childhood. My mom tucking me into bed at night and reading me a fairytale, spending countless hours hunting and fishing with my dad and uncles....falling head over heels in love. Of course my first love came with my parent's teachings. The generations before me all joined some branch of the military. Like my mother, my grandmother served in the Army as a nurse whereas my grandfather was a Marine. While my mom was in the Army she met my dad. From what I was told, they met while taking R&R (or Rest and Recreation) and fell for each other instantly. They were married while in the service but soon mom was discharged because of her pregnancy with me. I knew from their love and compassion about old time family traditions that I would join up as well. I also wanted to find that special connection that couldn't be broken. I wanted to find the love my parents found in each other. I just didn't think it would happen so soon.

I first met Dakota Myles when I was 14 years old and to say we were inseparable would be a gross understatement. I'm not sure but I feel like our love grew more and more each passing day. I'm sure my parents could see that as well. It wasn't long after my 16th birthday that I started feeling some changes happening to my body. I told Dakota's sister about the way I was feeling and to make a long story short, those changes I was feeling were the first symptoms of being pregnant. Brooke gave me some home pregnancy tests and every one of them turned out to be positive. Those tests aren't 100 percent right so I went to the doctor and he confirmed that I was indeed pregnant. Telling mom and dad that I was carrying a child was absolutely the hardest thing I'd ever done. At first my dad didn't want me to keep the baby but once I gave birth to healthy baby girl and he held her for the first time, all that reluctant behavior flew right out the window. A smile had actually appeared on that grizzled Navy man's face. It was good to see him smile for once. I could tell that when he was discharged from the Navy, that something had changed him.

After leaving the hospital a few days later, I went right back to school. Mom knew how much graduating from High School means to me and she also knew how important it is to me that I support my daughter on my own so Dakota and I started working after a school and on weekends. It was one hell of a struggle balancing everything but I knew we needed a better source of income other than a fast food joint or grocery store paycheck. It took some tough negotiations with Dakota but he agreed that the family tradition must live on.

That very summer, after graduation, I signed up with the United States Marine Corp to honor my grandfather's memory. Maybe I spoke prematurely about the hardest and I've ever had to do. Spending 6 weeks at a Marine Corp boot camp was hell on earth but I passed almost effortlessly. I was tested from weaponry to hand to hand combat and surprisingly enough I did better than some of the men. The biggest surprise of my life was when I returned home. Dakota had arranged a party at my parent's house and proposed to me. There was no way in hell I was going to say no. I haven't really found the time to plan on our wedding since I was deployed 2 years ago. I'm pretty shocked that it hasn't happened yet.


"On your feet!" Lieutenant Westley yelled as Colonel Daniels and Captain Barilla stepped into the barracks. We quickly stood up at attention saluting the higher ranking officers.

"At ease. You're about to embark on a very dangerous mission. Bravo Company is pinned down and needs immediate assistance. Bring them all back alive." Colonel Daniels explained.

"Once you've met up with Bravo Company and eliminates all the hostiles, Delta Company you'll be doing Perimeter patrols for the next few days until Alpha Company can secure it. You've got your orders. Don't come back until the job is done." Captain Barilla replied after the Colonel.

I'll finish writing to you whenever I return back to base. Oh before I go, some people may think that I regret having a child and joining the service but I don't. My country needs me just as much as the daughter I left back on American soil. I have no regrets.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay new story time!!! I hope all of you will like this new story that I'm thinking of turning into a series. Anyways the more you readers comment the more updates I'll be bringing to you and remember to always Comment, Recommend, and Subscribe !!!!