Sequel: Always a Hero
Status: THE MORE COMMENTS I GET, THE MORE UPDATES THERE WILL BE!!!

Once a Hero

Going Home

Over the last 3 weeks, I've been recovering from the 12 gunshot wounds I received in the line of duty. 4 days after I woke up from the coma, I was allowed to leave the hospital to go be with Tsunami and Jethro, who were put in my quarters after their surgeries, but the doctor told me not to put myself through any strenuous activity. Of course I wasn't going to listen. I took Tsunami and Jethro out to the exercise yard and let them run around as I took my own run around the course's perimeter fence. When I finished my run, I had zero pain. It's exactly what I needed. I really figured that I would have a few dull or minor pains but those weren't present. I took Tsunami and Jethro back to my quarters and have them water before pinning the Purple Hearts and Bronze Stars to their vests. They seemed to smile when I did assuring me that our bond was unbreakable. It wasn't long after I had when Carson came to my quarters to tell me that Colonel Daniels wanted to speak with me. I can still remember that day............

After my run, I could feel just how out of shape I had gotten but the sunshine is just what I needed. I put water into Tsunami and Jethro's bowls before a knock to my door came.

"Enter." I said watching my babies drink the cool water.

"I figured you were here since you weren't in the hospital bed."

"The doc released me a while ago. It'll be good to be in this bed than in the hospital." I said sitting on my bunk.

"I'm glad to see that everyone is recovering nicely after what you have been through but my real reason in finding you was to say that Colonel Daniels wants to see you in his office right away."

"I'll be there in just a minute. I need to change out of these sweaty clothes." I said.

"Ill let him know that you're on your way." Carson left my quarters and I quickly changed into a clean uniform. I did t want to keep the Colonel waiting. I told Tsunami and Jethro to stay before I headed over to the Colonel's office.

"You wanted to see me sir?" I asked as I entered into the office.

"Please have a seat, Blayke."

"What did you want to see me about Colonel?" I asked.

"I have some good news."

"Good news sir?" I questioned.

"You along with Tsunami and Jethro are being discharged."

"Discharged?" I asked a little disappointed. I was hoping this wouldn't keep me out of combat.

"Yes ma'am. Also you're being promoted. So you'll need these to go on that dress uniform." Colonel Daniels pushed 2 sets of Captain's bars toward me and I picked them up.

"I don't deserve a promotion sir. That needs to be saved for someone else."

"You did deserve it. Private Franks should have your mother on the phone by now. I think you should tell her the great news." He said smiling.

"Thank you sir."

"Oh by the way, when you get back to the states you'll be taken directly to Walter-Reed Hospital for a follow up. If everything is looking good then you report to the White House." He explained smiling brightly.

"The White House? Why am I invited to go there or do you know sir?"

"When I heard about what you did for those men who were hit, I was proud of the soldier who stood for 'no one is left behind'. I put you in for a Medal Of Honor. It was approved this morning. Congratulations."


When I got to Walter Reed yesterday the conversation with Colonel Daniels cane flowing back. I couldn't believe that I was going to be given such a great honor. I would be right there with the few people who havd been awarded this great achievement. All I need is my final blood tests to be given before heading over to the White House for the honoring tomorrow. For the first time in a very long time, I can say that I'm looking forward to such a great honor that was fought with pride.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's a little short. It I hope you all like it. Always remember to comment and don't forget to check out my other story featuring Avenged Sevenfold called Two Worlds!!!