Sequel: Always a Hero
Status: THE MORE COMMENTS I GET, THE MORE UPDATES THERE WILL BE!!!

Once a Hero

Life Changes

So much has changed since I returned home. One month after I got back, I began my search for a job to support Jayla. I hit a huge stroke of luck when my hometown Police Department here in North Carolina needed Tsunami, Jethro, and I to help them track down a dangerous fugitive who was supposedly hiding out in the mountains. We helped them catch the wanted man and to repay us, the sheriff gave us a job in the department. Before he became the sheriff of Bethel, he teached at a police academy so with my military training and experience, along with being a quick learner, it wasn't long before I became an official of the Bethel Police Department.

4 years passed by as if it were yesterday. I watched my daughter graduate from high school before joining the Navy to honor her grandfather. I was proud that she wanted to serve her country in the same Branch as my dad. It wasn't long after Jayla went into the Navy that my career started changing. I applied for a position at NCIS, or Naval Criminal Investigative Service, in Quantico, Virginia. I got accepted quickly and was glad I could take Tsunami and Jethro with me. We've been with this great team of investigators for 3 years now and we've solved a lot of cases.

"You guys have a great weekend." I said as I gathered up my things to take home.

"You too. Tell Jayla we said hello and to be careful while out at sea."

"I tell her that every time she leaves for her 6 off." I said chuckling. I gave put a few more goodbyes for the weekend before getting on the elevator to head home. Tomorrow morning Jayla has to report back to the USS Nimitz for another 6 months at sea so we're having one last home cooked meal together.

Tonight I'm making Jayla's favorite homemade spaghetti and meatballs. The only thing that's going to be store bought tonight will be the beer. The noodles, sauce, meatballs, and bread are all being made by me. It does get a bit tiresome and complicated in such a small kitchen bit I'm hoping that when Jayla gets back from her 6 months on the water that all my planned renovations will be done. It didn't take me long to get home and once I stepped through the door, I got right to work with cooking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Dinner is almost finished cooking so I checked my phone yo see how much longer was left on the bread. I noticed the time and was immediately confused. Jayla should've been here by now. I pressed the speed dial number for my daughter before putting the phone to my ear.

Hello this is Jayla. I'm sorry I missed your call but I obviously can't come to the phone right now. Please leave your name and number and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Jayla's voicemail message said. I waited for a beep before speaking.

"Jayla this is your mom. I was just wondering what's keeping you. I've almost got dinner done so could you please call me back and let me know that you're on your way? I love you." I said and hung up my phone. I took the bread from the oven and turned off the stove. I have some fresh food and water to Tsunami and Jethro before grabbing a cold beer from the fridge and going out on the porch to wait for her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"Hey honey it's your mother again. Will you please call me back? I'm getting a little worried about you. Love you." I said leaving another message on Jayla's voicemail. Why isn't she answering? I've called her more than 10 times already without a single reply and I'm getting very concerned because she should've been here 3 hours ago. I scrolled through my contacts and pressed call on one of Jayla's friends from the Nimitz.

Hello?

"Hey Anita. This is Jayla's mom, Blayke Carrington."

Oh hey! How are you?

"I'm fine. Is Jayla with you?"

No. She was supposed to have a drink with me before she went to see you but she hasn't showed up yet. I figured she just went over there. Is she not with you?

"Nope and I'm getting very worried. Is there any other place she might have gone?"

Not that I'm aware of. Blair might know something. Do you have her number?

"Yes. If she calls you or you see her, will you tell her to call me?"

Of course I will.

"Thanks." I said hanging up. I easily found Blair's number and hit call.

Hello?

"Blair? This is Blayke Carrington, Jayla's mom. Have you seen or talked to her?"

I did earlier today. She said that she was going to have a drink with Anita a before heading over to see you.

"I just talked to her and she said that Jayla never showed up. Anita figured that she came here but Jayla is 4 hours late." I explained with worry on my voice.

That's very unusual for her. Jayla's always on time.

"I know. Do you know any other places she would go?" I asked.

Nope. She only either hangs out with us or goes to your house but if I see her I'll make sure she calls you immediately.

"Thanks." I said hanging up the phone again. Where the hell is she? Tsunami and Jethro whined feeling my distress. I think I'll call her one more time and if she doesn't answer I'm going to go out to find her.

Hello this is Jayla. Sorry I can't answer the phone right now but please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

"Jayla it's me again. I'm really getting worried about you. I've called both Anita and Blair and they have no idea where you are. You really need to call me and let me know where you are honey. I love you sweetheart." I said ending the call to her voicemail. Screw this. I'm not waiting around here any longer. I went back into the house and grabbed my car keys. Just before I went out the front door, I wrote out a short note just in case she cams hone while I'm out looking for her.

"Tsunami, Jethro hier." I commanded as I left the house. I opened the backseat door and they jumped right inside. I got into the driver's seat and we sped off in search of my baby girl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"No Director. I've looked everywhere and talked to all of her friends. They haven't seen her since she left the base. I've called her phone numerous times but she doesn't answer." I explained as I drove to the NCIS building in Quantico.

Don't worry Blayke. My assistant is putting in a calk to the FBI and Agent Fornell is going to lead the investigation.

"I want to be on this investigation sir. I know Jayla is my daughter but I'm not going to sit idly by and do nothing to track her down." I said acting more like a concerned parent than a Marine.

You can't have any involvement in this matter. You're too close to this. The best I can do is keep you informed on what Agent Fornell finds.

"Sir please. I have to be a part of this." I said in an almost begging manner.

We have rules for a reason Blayke. You stay out of the case. Understand? Before I could retort, the Director ended the conversation by hanging up on me. I threw my phone against the dashboard in anger. If they won't let me help investigate, then I'll start my own.
♠ ♠ ♠
There's only one more chapter in this first story. Be on the lookout for Always A Hero! Please comment and let me know how you like the chapter