Sequel: Always a Hero
Status: THE MORE COMMENTS I GET, THE MORE UPDATES THERE WILL BE!!!

Once a Hero

More Than Ever

Damn what a grueling 3 weeks this has been. I've faught enough Taliban insurgents for 6 squads. I didn't think they would ever retreat back into the mountains. When we showed up, Bravo Company had already suffered heavy casualties and running dangerously low on ammunition. Bodies of dead soldiers and insurgents were beginning to pile up like cordwood. One of the company's Privates said that the Taliban were waiting for them. Sounds a little bit fishy to me. Thankfully we got there on time or they would've been overrun.

After the Taliban had retreated, I witnessed exactly why they weren't backing down from the village so quickly. The insurgents had several storage like units filled with Ak-47s, rocket launchers, grenades, ammo, and bricks of some kind of narcotic along with bundles and bundles of money wrapped in plastic and put on pallets. At least we were able to get control of this place so none of this contraband falls into the wrong hands. That's all we would need. What I really need is a nice hot shower, a good meal, and lots of restful sleep.

"Sergeant, Colonel Daniels would like to see you in his office."

"Can it wait? I mean I need a good hot shower and something to eat." I questioned as I gathered up my things for a shower.

"I'm afraid not ma'am. He sounded very urgent."

"Alright I'll be there in a minute." I said sighing. Private Franks left the barracks and I followed right behind him. Once we got to the Colonel's office building I knocked on the door before opening it. Colonel Daniels was signing some paperwork before he looked up at me.

"You wanted to see me sir?" I said saluting him.

"Yes Sergeant. Have a seat." The Colonel saluted me back before I took a seat in front of his desk.

"What's going on sir?" I asked tiredly. Maybe if he sees how exhausted I am, he'll cut this short.

"First of all, I appreciate how tired you are. I wasn't expecting the mission to last as long as if did."

"That's alright sir." I said with a nod of my head.

"I think this was the biggest raid I've ever had the privileged of being apart of."

"Colonel I don't mean any disrespect to you but is there a point behind the reason you called me to your office? I mean Lieutenant Westley could've been the one person who gave you a report on the situation " I explained.

"I like how you want to get right to the point. What's your relationship with a man named Dakota Myles?"

"He's my fiance and the father of my child. Did I not clarify that in my personal file?" I questioned.

"No um...I just received a message from your mother about an hour ago. Your fiance Dakota Myles was killed in a car accident late last night."

"What?" I said not thinking I just heard him correctly.

"I'm very sorry Sergeant."

"No..this can't be sir." I said shaking my head in disbelief.

"If you want, I can arrange for a Hardship Discharge."

"That won't be necessary sir. I'd rather take an Emergency Furlough." I said and Colonel Daniels pulled some papers from his desk.

"If that's what you want."

"It is sir." I said nodding my head.

"I'll fill out the paperwork and get it sent out. Again I'm very sorry for your loss."

"Thank you sir." I stood to my feet and saluted my superior. He dismissed me from his office and Private Franks looked at me with concern.

"Are you alright Sergeant Carrington?"

"I'm fine. Can you excuse me while I make and overseas call?" I asked and he went into the Colonel's office. I dialed my mother's home number and she picked it up after the second ring.

"Hello?"

"Hey mom." I said smiling to myself at the sound of her kind voice.

"Honey I'm so sorry to have to tell you about Dakota through a message instead of in person "

"I know mom. How's Jayla doing?" I asked inwardly hoping to talk to her.

"She's fine. Would you like to talk to her?"

"Yes please." I said nodding my head even though she couldn't see me.

"Hi mommy."

"Hey baby girl. How's mommy's favorite little girl?" I asked.

"I'm okay. Can I ask you something mommy?"

"You can ask me anything you want." I said truthfully.

"Is Daddy in heaven?"

"He sure is baby and he'll always be watching over you." I commented in a motherly tone.

"I miss him."

"I know sweetheart. I miss him too." I said wiping the silent tears that had ran down my cheeks.

"Are you coming home?"

"I will be pretty soon." I said.

"For good?"

"Can you put grandma back on the phone?" I asked changing the subject.

"Sure mommy."

"Are you going to come home for good?" Mom asked once Jayla gave her the phone.

"I put in for an emergency furlough. Colonel Daniels is handling the paperwork so it gets processed faster."

"I'm guessing that's a no." She said sounding very disappointed.

"Mom I can't leave now. Supporting Jayla is all I can think about. Besides what kind of job can I get back home that would possibly pay enough to support her?"

"Your father and I can help." She said. I knew what she was trying to do.

"If there's one thing you both taught me that I now live by is not to take charity from anyone. I want to do this on my own."

"Yeah I know. So do you when you'll be coming home for the furlough?" She asked. I could hear in her voice that she understood my decision.

"Ill know more when the orders are approved at HQ. Could you get together with Dakota's parents and get all the funeral arrangements in order? In not sure when the papers are going to be approved."

"Of course I will. I'll make sure we don't make anything final until you get here ." she said with sympathy.

"Thanks mom. I need to go now. Tell Jayla that I love her and I'll see her as soon as I can."

"I will." She said. I hung up the phone without another word and reality started to sink in. I sighed deeply while running a hand down my face. Its just me and Jayla now. There's no way I can leave the service now. She needs to be supported and this is what I need now more than ever. Its no longer about family tradition. Its about taking care of my 4 year old daughter and doing what I believe is the best for both of us.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay another update! Its going to take me a while to get updates posted since I'm doing this from my phone. Please bare with me of anything is spelled incorrectly.