Sequel: Always a Hero
Status: THE MORE COMMENTS I GET, THE MORE UPDATES THERE WILL BE!!!

Once a Hero

The Tragedy of Home

When I got off the phone with my mom a couple of days ago, I knew she would be disappointed at how much time Headquarters have me for the emergency furlough. I can't help what they give me. Headquarters approved me 2 weeks of furlough time w days ago. It's not a lot of time to spend with Jayla but Colonel Daniels informed me that there was going to be some changes going on in all the units before a major battle is to occur. Ever since I got on this plane, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what was going to be changed. So far nothing substantial has come to mind.

"Ladies and gentleman, please fasten your seatbelts as we make our descent on Raleigh International Airport." An airline attendant spoke over the intercom system. I locked the lap belt on as 2 more attendants came around to check. The plane slowly touched down on the runway and I peered my eyes out the small window. It's been 4 years since I'd seen Raleigh and it hadn't changed much.

When I called my Mon about my furlough she told me that her and Jayla would be holding up a sign that was made by my little girl. After picking up my duffel bag, I looked for the sign but the place was crowded with people. I walked a little ways through the crowded airport and finally spotted the homemade sign. As I got closer, I could see my beautiful baby girl sitting on my mother's shoulders holding the sign high above her head. I pushed through the people as my mom set Jayla back down on her own feet.

"Mommy!" Jayla yelled as she ran to me. I dropped my bag and picked up my daughter holding her tightly in my arms.

"Oh baby I missed you." I said letting a free hand pick up my bag and going over to mom.

"I missed you too."

"Here let me take that." Mom said grabbing the duffle bag from me.

"Where's dad?"

"He had some business to take care of but he said that he'll be home in time for dinner." She said as we left the building. Mom led us to her car and put my bags in the trunk as I strapped Jayla into her car seat. I sat down in the passengers side seat with mom behind the wheel before heading home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I kept your room exactly the way you left it. I mean except for a few of Jayla's things. She's been sleeping in here with Dakota ever since you left."

"Speaking of which. Do you have the papers for the funeral arrangements around here somewhere?" I asked as I placed NY bags down on the bed.

"They're in the kitchen. Jayla, why don't you go downstairs and play with your toys.."

"Okay grandma." Jayla said leaving the room and making enough noise to wake the dead.

"She really loves to make noise doesn't she?"

"I noticed that. I'd really like to see those papers now mom. I mean since I don't have a lot of time here." I said. I knew I would plenty of time but I wanted to make sure I had enough time to spend with Jayla before having to leave again.

"Don't you want to get unpacked and freshened up first?"

"I'll shower after dinner. I don't see the point in unpacking since I'm only going to be here for 2 weeks." I said truthfully.

"Alright. I just hope we made the proceedings right." We left my room and went downstairs. I peeked into the living room to see Jayla playing with toy cars and trucks. She is so like me and Dakota in many ways.

I joined mom in the kitchen where she gave me the papers. Everything o read over seemed fine to me but before I signed my approval I put my name down under Deliver of Eulogy . I set the papers aside and breathed in a nice long deep sigh. The smell of a home cooked meal brought me out of my dazed state. I've been living off of Mess Hall chow, which isn't too bad, and MRE's. I can't think of anything blander than Meals Ready to Eat. They're so tasteless even with the salt and pepper that cones with them. The Mess Hall on base can sometimes have pretty good meals on holidays or any other day but at least they provide condiments to dig the food in.

"Hi grandpa!" I heard Jayla yell before the crashing sound of her toys hitting the floor. I got up from the table and entered into the living room. Dad saw me and put jayla down on the floor

"Hey dad."

"I see you've come back to us unscathed considering how rough it's getting over there." He said sitting down in his favorite chair and kicking off his work boots.

"It can be at times but it's a job that needs to be done"

"What aabout your job as a mother? That needs to be done too." He said somewhat frustrated as he lit his pipe.

"Dad we're not having this conversation."

"Oh I think we should. Jayla needs her mother more than ever now that her father is dead. The least you could do is either go to a ddifferent branch of the service or transfer to a safer location." He commented. He wasn't going to win this battle ewith reasoning

"The Marines is what I chose and tthere's nothing anyone can say to make me leave my brothers."

"Dinner's ready you three. Blayke, you and Jayla get those hands washed please." Mom said ending the impending argument. She always comes in at the right moment. I took Jayla to the bathroom with me and I helped her wash her hands before going to the dinner table.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"That just might have been the best meal I've ever eaten." I said complementing on mom's cooking.

"Might have been? Surely my cooking is better than what's served at the Mess Hall."

"It is mom." I said chuckling at her fake reaction to being hurt. Mom began clearing off the table and I grabbed some of the dishes to help her.

"You go spend time with that precious child of yours. I can do this."

"Are you sure you don't need my help?" I asked handing her the last of the dishes that were on the table.

"Yes honey. Now go on." I kissed mom on the cheek and started to leave the kitchen.

"Blayke?" Mom said andI tturned to look at her.

"What is it?"

"Be ppatient with your father. He doesn't mean any harm." She said sincerely.

"I know mom." I left the kitchen and went into the living room where Jayla sat on the floor playing. I sat down with her to rebuild a bond. Before I had come back, I figured she would shy away from me like she would with a total stranger but mom and Dakota really taught her better that I gave then credit for. I just hope she keeps teaching her that I love her more than my own existence and would do anything for her. Jayla began to yawn and I knew it was time for her to go to bed.

"Cone on sweetheart. It's time for bed."

"But I'm not sleepy." Jayla said with another yawn. I smiled as I got up from the floor and picked her up. She laid her head against my shoulder as I took her upstairs to my room. I pushed the door open with my foot and laid her down on the bed.

"You go on to sleep baby. I'll come and join you in a few minutes."

"What about my toys? Grandpa gets upset if I don't put them away." Jayla said as I pulled the covers over her.

"Don't worry. I'll get the up for you."

"I love you mommy." She said slowly closing her eyes.

"I love you too sweetheart." I kissed her forehead as she drifted off to sleep before quietly leaving my room. I went back downstairs to the living room and started putting away Kayla's toys.

"Did she go to sleep?"

"She fell asleep as soon as I tucked her in." I said picking up the last of her toys.

"That's good. What are your plans for tomorrow?"

"I'm going to go by the funeral home and drop off the papers then go to the DMV to switch the names on that car out there. If ffeel up to it, I'm going to go through Dakota's things before I write the Eulogy." I said ssitting on the couch.

"You're delivering the Eulogy?"

"Yeah. I figured people should know him the way I do." I said rubbing my tired eyes.

"That sounds like a good idea. You should probably get some rest too."

"I'm going to. It's been a long day and I need to get up early so I can spend the rest of my time with Jayla." I said through a yawn of my own.

"Well I'll see you in the morning. Goodnight honey."

"Goodnight mom." I said and she left the room. I yawned once more while rubbing my eyes again. I left the living room and went back upstairs to my room to change for bed. Jayla never moved or made a sound as I laid down next to her but as I pulled the covers over me she turned and laid her head on me. That just mAde the leaving even harder to do. I wrapped one arm around her sleeping form and it didn't take long for me to fall into a deep sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
So comments would be the greatest right about now. I see that you read but why no comments?