Sequel: Always a Hero
Status: THE MORE COMMENTS I GET, THE MORE UPDATES THERE WILL BE!!!

Once a Hero

Establishing a Bond

Just before dawn, I awoke as I have when I first came into the military. After I dressed into my fatigues I went over to the mess hall for coffee with my breakfast. The food was actually good this morning. Way better than last night's dinner. I picked up the picture of coffee and poured myself another cup as Private Franks came in and fixed himself a tray of food. He spotted me and came over.

"Would you mind so company?"

"Sure. Please sit down." I said smiling.

"I heard through the grapevine that you're going to be working with a guard dog."

"2 actually." I stated as I started eating.

"2? You got guts Blayke."

"I like a good challenge and I want to prove people wrong about having to attack dog working together." I explained.

"I can see where it would be a great challenge. Speaking of challenges, how's Jayla doing after her father's death?"

"She seems to be taking it better than I am. Jayla's been a bigger supporter of me than I have been with her." I said chuckling slightly as I finished the coffee. I started to fill my cup again but Carson beat me to it.

"She seems like a really tough kid."

"She is but I can tell that she is hurting. Jayla might be 4 years old but it's like she's older than what she really is." I said.

"Dakota must have taught her very well."

"I know he did. My mom helped out a lot too." I said factually.

"Well I need to get back to the office. Don't forget that the handlers will be here at noon."

"I'll be there." I said and Carson picked up the empty tray and leaving me to decide on what breed I should choose. There's so many out there to choose from but I know I'll make the right choice. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few minutes before noon, I headed to the Colonel's office to await the handlers. Not only do I have to sign off for the dogs but so does the Colonel. I'm not really sure why he has to but I guess that goes with the chain of command.

"Sir there's a Major Nathaniel Illani here to see you and Sergeant Carrington."

"Send him in Private." Colonel Daniels ordered. Franks left the office and came back with the Major. I immediately stood and saluted him.

"You don't have to salute me Sergeant. My rank is completely honorary." The Major said extending his hand and I shook it in a friendly but professional manner.

"Those clusters may be honorary sir bug I was taught to salute all superior officers."

"You must come from a military family." Major Illani said.

"Yes sir I do. My mother is a retired US Army nurse and my father was a high ranking officer in the Navy."

"They must be very proud of you. The way you chosen to carry out a sacred family tradition." He said smiling.

"Yes sir. If there are no objections, I'd like to see the dogs you've brought Major."

"Of course. Please come with me." The Colonel and I followed the Major outside where several men had dogs by their sides.

"Each dog has everything that you get when you first join up. All except weapons of course. Whichever you choose Sergeant comes with a book full of commands in the language they're taught plus hand gestures. All commands have a translation beside it."

"I'm not just taking one." I said glancing at him and he looked at me with confusion. "

"What sir?" I said turning to face him.

"I'm not sure if I heard you right. Did you say that you wanted 2."

"Yes sir. Is that going to be a problem?" I questioned.

"No. I mean it's just very rare for someone to accept such a challenge."

"So I've been told. Colonel Daniels knows that I like a good challenge." I explained.

"That would be one hell of a challenge. See any that you like?" My eyes scanned the dogs and their handlers until I spotted 2 beautiful German Shepherds .

"What are their names sir?" I asked.

"The solid black collar is Tsunami and the other is Jethro." I squatted down on my heels in front of the dogs and I could tell right away they were the ones I wanted. I looked both dogs in the eyes already knowing that the two were brothers and I nodded my head slowly. Both animals left their handler's side and pressed their noses against my hand.

"Wow. I've never seen them do that before."

"What can I say? I have a way with dogs. I'll take the brothers. Is there anything I need to know about them?" I inquired.

"They respond to commands in German. Here is the command book." The Major handed me the thin booklet and I opened it.

"You'll be needing these also." Major Illani informed me. I took the rewards from the handler and decided to try them out to see what they could do.

"Bleibsitzen Tsunami." I ordered after throwing the ball.

"Apport!" Tsunami ran towards the ball catching it easily in his mouth before bringing it back to me. I held out my hand and he dropped it on my palm.

"Gut." I said smiling as I petted him. I did the same with Jethro and I could say with certainty that I was impressed. I patted their heads once more making their tails wag happily simultaneously.

"Where do I sign?" Major Illani handed me 2 separate clipboards with their information on a personal assessment and any important information on them.

I scanned through the pages before quickly putting my signature on the dotted line. Colonel Daniels then signed the documents giving me his approval. The handler of the brothers bent down and quietly whispered something I couldn't hear but both dogs left their handler's side again and took their place by me.

"Major, may I ask a question?"

"You're wondering what he said to the dogs." He stated and I nodded.

"The bond between handlers must be broken before a new one can be established. If that doesn't happen the dogs will not cooperate."

"That makes sense sir." I said in understanding.

"Colonel, I must be going. I have 7 other units to get to today."

"Alright Major. You're dismissed." Colonel Daniels said saluting the Major.

"Oh Sergeant I almost forgot. Headquarters wants weekly field reports on both Tsunami and Jethro."

"Yes sir." I said saluting him in acceptance of an order. The Major left with the handlers while I took my new companions to the barracks. A few minutes later, Private Franks came in with mail call. I received 2 letters and 2 very large packages for Tsunami and Jethro.

I opened up the boxes to find an array of supplies for my dogs. I opened up the container of dog food and filled both bowls with food before doing the same with the water dishes. Tsunami and Jethro gladly filled their stomachs and laid down next to my bed. I smiled when I picked up the first of my two letters. My daughter's handwriting was a blessing to me. I laid there in the cot reading about her day and how much she wished I could've stayed. It made me feel better knowing that she was going to be alright with everything that was happening. I grabbed a pad of paper that I use for letters and a pen to wrote her back. I knew she would be extremely excited to know that I wouldn't be coming home alone the next time I received a leave but I want to keep that a secret from her. I have to make sure that they are going to be with me all the time and not just be a temporary thing.

After I finished writing Jayla, I started reading mom's letter. She basically told me everything Jayla had said. I wrote her back letting her know about the attack dogs but to not tell Jayla anything about it. Mom hates when I take, what she calls, unnecessary missions. I finished the letter and sealed it before dropping it into the mailbox outside the door of the barracks. I got back on my bunk and opened the command book to study. I was hoping to have a little bit more time than a week and a half to study and work with them but I'm confident that I can get the job done.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you all like the chapter! I'm updating this one more time before I call it a night.

Thanks to gates; for commenting! I appreciate it very much!