Sequel: Always a Hero
Status: THE MORE COMMENTS I GET, THE MORE UPDATES THERE WILL BE!!!

Once a Hero

Mission Accomplished

"Sergeant, the Humvee is here for you."

"Thanks Carson." I said as I strapped the vest onto Jethro's body. After a week and a half of hard studying and bonding with Tsunami and Jethro, today is the real test. I just hope all of this wasn't for nothing. I got into the back of the Humvee after Tsunami and Jethro before leaving the base to rejoin my unit. It's only a 20 minute ride to the Village but when we got there the Humvee stopped just outside a building where Lieutenant Westley was standing. I slapped the side of my leg and my two companions jumped out of the Humvee.

"I really didn't expect Colonel Daniels to go through with this."

"What do you mean sir?" I asked curiously.

"When I heard about headquarters putting dogs in all of the units I thought...no I knew it was absurd. A dog being better than a human being? Stupid as fuck."

"Well that's not your decision to make Lieutenant." Captain Barilla said coming from behind him, "you can think it's stupid all you want but if that's what command wants then we all follow those orders."

"I'm sorry sir but I..."

"I don't care. Now take Sergeant Carrington, Tsunami, and Jethro to her units position." Captain Barilla said cutting the loud mouthed Lieutenant off in mid-sentence.

"Yes sir. Cone with me Sergeant." I patted my leg again and they followed as Lieutenant Westley escorted us to the other side of the village where my unit was located. We joined them but the Lieutenant didn't leave.

"Both the Captain and Colonel want to see how these attack dogs are going to work. Personally I think it's a waste of time. Anyways, Intel believes there's a camp in the mountains that needs to be located and all Taliban insurgents eliminated. Any weapons or money is to be considered contraband and put on a truck to be brought back to base." Lieutenant Westley ordered and we a saluted him. The Lieutenant looked at me strangely before leaving us to do our duty. I know he's wanting to see us fail but I'm not going to let that happen.

I took point with Tsunami and Jethro as we made our way up the side of the mountain. Tsunami sniffed the ground picking up the trail while Jethro kept sharp eyes out for anything suspicious. The other members of the unit stayed close behind us looking for any signs of an ambush. Tsunami growled lowly and I bent down to his level to see one man armed with an AK-47 walking a dirt path. I held up one hand making the men and women behind me stop.

"What is it Sergeant?"

"Enemy insurgent on patrol.pass the word to keep quiet while Jethro takes him out." I whispered to Corporal Shaws.

"Yes ma'am."

"Jethro hier." I whispered to one of my companions. We quietly entered into the brush following alongside the insurgent. I didn't hear nor see any other threat so the man was all alone.

"Fass Jethro." Jethro snuck out of the brush and leaped onto the insurgent's back making him fall to ground and lose his weapon. Jethro made short work of him by delivering a fatal bite to the man's neck.

"Tsunami, Jethro bleibsitzen." I commanded and I dragged the dead man's body into the bushes. I crept along through the brush only to spot the camp 20 feet from where the Insurgent was taken down. I watched through my binoculars has 15 or so insurgents carrying large wooden gun cratse into a building. I hurried back to Tsunami and Jethro before rejoining the unit.

"Alright listen up. The camp is just up ahead but I saw 15 or so men carrying wooden crates with unknown items inside a building. We'll encircle them and slowly move inward taking them down one by one. Don't forget to search each building." I ordered and they all nodded their heads before following my lead.

We snuck around through the cover of brush, rocks, and lowlight until the unit surrounded the camp. Tsunami, Jethro, and I were the first to move in and take down insurgents and hold our position as the others caught up. One by one we all cleared the camp and the makeshift buildings until it was all cleared out. Corporal Shaws opened the door I saw the men taking the gun crates in and we hit the motherload. Inside were stacks of ammunition boxes and gun crates that literally touched the top of the ceiling. Each box we searched had either AK-47s, RPGs, and money. My radio man called Captain Barilla reporting what we had found and he sent a truck up to our location. We stacked all the crates on the back of the truck before hiking down the mountain behind the truck.

When we entered back into the village were four Humvees were waiting with Captain Barilla and Lieutenant Westley. My unit got into the Humvees and headed back to base right behind the truck. I know as soon as I get back to base I'll need to write up the field reports on both Tsunami and Jethro. My only hope is that the Colonel and the quacks at headquarters agree with my reports. When we arrived back on base, I took Tsunami and Jethro to the barracks to give them food and water before working on the reports. I made sure to include in the report the stealthy way they took down the Taliban insurgents. I laid my head down finally finished with the reports and a yawn escaped me. The report can wait to be turned in until tomorrow. Right now all I want is to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up at the crack of dawn and headed for the showers after topping off both Tsunami and Jethro's food and water bowls. The hot water with the mixture of soap and shampoo cleansed my body of grime as I washed. Not to mention it relaxed my muscles. After my shower, I sat in the mess hall and ate breakfast. By the time I finished eating, Colonel Daniels office was open and ready for business. I returned my tray and headed to his office to give him my reports. I entered into the building where Carson let me go on into his office.

"I have the field reports on Tsunami and Jethro sir." I said saluting him.

"I wasn't expecting this until later."

"I didn't want to waste time sir. I wrote it last night." I said. Colonel Daniels opened the file folder and I couldn't tell if he had a look of confusion or impression. I wasn't sure at all.

"Is there something wrong with my report sir?"

"No Sergeant. I mean I wasn't expecting your reports to be handwritten." He said looking over my report.

"Oh...I just don't like using the laptop while comrades are sleeping."

"You won't have to worry about that much longer." Colonel Daniels said closing the file after signing it."

"What do you mean air?"

"What I mean is that after I give you these. Private Franks will escort you to your new quarters." He said sliding 3 medium sized boxes towards me as he smiled.

"I don't understand sir. Why am I moving from the quarters of my men?"

"Open the boxes and you'll find out." He said. I placed the two other boxes down on the floor and opened the one with my name labeled on the top. Inside was a brand new set of dress blues. I looked up the collar and saw Lieutenant's bars. I looked at him strangely.

"You're not seeing things Lieutenant Carrington."

"I don't get it sir. Why am I being promoted?" I asked.

"You're an exceptional soldier Blayke. Command already knew you would succeed. All I needed was this report before I could get this promotion."

"I'm glad that they havd confidence in us sir." I said closing the box.

"I am as well. Go and get settled in your new barracks. You'll find new fatigues hanging up up as well."

"Thank you Colonel." I said with a salute.

"Don't thank me Lieutenant. You deserve it." Colonel Daniels held his hand out, not to salute me but to shake my hand in congratulations. I shook his hand with a nod of my head and left his office. Carson took the boxes from me and let me to my new barracks.

"I'm off duty now. Would you like me to help you unpack."

"Thanks Carson." I said smiling.

"No problem ma'am."

"Please don't call me that. For one I'm not old and second, we are alone. Just because I'm an Officer now doesn't mean we stop being friends." I said truthfully.

"Fair enough."

"Come on friend. Let's go get my shit." I said smiling as I patted his shoulder. We left my new quarters to go over to my new barracks that I had shared so long with my comrades. Carson began folding my clothing as some members of my unit came through the door.

"Sergeant Carrington, what's going on?"

"You're not leaving us are you?" Corporal Shaws asked worriedly.

"Don't worry guys. I'm just moving my stuff into my new quarters."

"Lieutenant in the barracks! " Corporal Shaws said bringing them to attention.

"You all don't have to salute me in private. Only when we're in the presence of Captain Barilla and Colonel Daniels." I explained.

"Yes Lieutenant."

"Go on about your business. I'll let you all know when we have to head out again." I said not even noticing that Carson had almost finished cleaning out my bunk. I picked up the dog food container and their bowls before patting my leg so they would follow. I went inside my new quarters where Carson was unpacking my thinks you can go now.

"Is there anything else I can do for you Blayke?"

"No I was just going to write my mom and daughter." I said sitting down at the desk.

"How is Jayla by the way?"

"She's doing fine.I know she was disappointed that I had to leave again. My dad is less than thrilled that I won't go to a different branch of be transferred to a desk job." I said sighing.

"I know that feeling. My parents didn't even want me to be in the military."

"My reason for joining leans more towards the traditional side." I said.

"I see. I better get going. I've got some laundry to get done before going back on duty. When this is all over, I'd like to meet your little girl. "

"That would be great." I said nodding.

"I'll see you at dinner." I nodded once more before Carson left my quarters. In her letter I failed to mention the dogs that I would be bringing hone whenever I came back to the states for good. I finished the letter to Jayla and started one for my mother.

Mom,

How are you doing? I'm doing fine and I've got some great news to tell you. You remember when I told you about the changes that were going to happen to all the units in General Barnhart's command? Well the changes were very unexpected but the next time I come home I'll have 2 companions with me. That's right. In the proud handler of 2 German Shepherd guard dogs. I know dad isn't going to be pleased with this but Command knew I'm an exceptional Marine who can successfully complete any challenge or mission put in front of me. If you don't want to tell dad about this you don't have to but please don't let Jayla get word of this. I want to surprise her. Tsunami and Jethro are their names and they're very sweet dogs. As far as I can tell, Command and Colonel Daniels are mighty impressed with our accomplishes. Thanks to their success and mine, I've been promoted from Sergeant to Lieutenant and I've got my own living quarters. There's only one thing I don't think I'm ever going to be used and that's my comrades saluting me.


A knock to the door followed by Carson barging in made all focus in writing disappear.

"What's going on?" I asked standing to my feet.

"Echo Company has been hit by Suicide Bombers and a threat of more to come. Colonel Daniels needs your unit to get over there fast."

"We're leaving now. Make sure those Humvees are at the main gate." I ordered as I started putting on my new gear. Carson left my quarters as I strapped on the vests to Tsunami and Jethro. I looked down at the unfinished letter and knew it would have to wait. I left my quarters with my companions and hopped into the Humvee to head over to Echo Company Base.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you all like this chapter. Kibda like a cliffhanger I guess haha but I'll let you be the judge of that. Anyways always needing comments her! Also check out my other story called Two Worlds. It needs commentors.