Sequel: Always a Hero
Status: THE MORE COMMENTS I GET, THE MORE UPDATES THERE WILL BE!!!

Once a Hero

Wounded and MIA

After the scare with the attempted attack on Echo Company, the years seemed to fly by. In those 3 years I was wounded. It was serious but it didn't stop Colonel Daniels from putting me in for a Purple Heart. Thank god Tsunami and Jethro weren't hurt. My mom was the biggest worry wart and now that I think about it, maybe I shouldn't have told her but then again she would be very angry with me if I hadn't. It took some doing but I got her calmed down about my wounds. Now it's been 7 years since then and I'm not sure whether it's the job that makes these years fly by or just the time away from home. Speaking of home, for the past 7 years I've tried getting some time off so I can return to the States so I could be with Kayla but with all the missions there hasn't been an opening for any extended leaves. With some really good luck now, an opening has finally came! This patrol I'm on will be last one I go on for a month. I'm looking forward to seeing my parents and Jayla and giving my precious daughter her later birthday present in person. I figured my 14 year old daughter would resent me for my decision on coming back to fight with my brothers and sisters after Dakota's death but I was completely wrong. For 14 she's more mature than any adult I've ever encountered. She understands that I have a job to do and according to the letters from my mom, her words are true. The patrol was very quiet tonight so I took Jayla's letter out and re-read over it as we walked.

"How many times are you going to read that letter Lieutenant?" Sergeant Shaws asked.

"Probably many more times before this patrol is over."

"I bet you're excited to be going home to see that little girl of yours." Corporal Henning said smiling.

"She's hardly a little girl anymore but yeah I'm excited. I think Jayla's more excited about meeting these 2."

"I don't doubt that." Henning replied. I finished reading the letter and placed it back into my pocket. We walked a few more minutes until explosions started bursting around us.

"Fall back! Get to cover!" I yelled over the explosions and gunfire. I slapped the aide of my leg as I went for cover and 3 of my men went down. I couldn't leave them out there. I left the safety of the large rock to retrieve them.

"Lieutenant, get back here!" Henning yelled but I ignored his calls and ran through the rain of bullets before grabbing the vest of the first soldier that went down. As I pulled him across the ground, I spotted the other 2 that had fallen.

"Tsunami, Jethro apport!" I yelled pointing at the men. I left the man once I got him to safety to help my companions. Tsunami and Jethro worked as a team to pull the man from harm's way as I got to the last.

I got to the fallen Marine just as a bomb exploded in front of me knocking me off of my feet. I shook the cobwebs from my head and began to dragging him. Shots whizzed through the air and with each step I took I felt the bullets burn into my flesh. My blood soaked into my uniform as I fell to the ground again. I heard Tsunami and Jethro bark as they ran to me but I ordered them to drag the man away. I looked up to see Sergeant Shaws grabbing the straps on my Kevlar vest and he pulled me into the trees as more bombs fell from the sky. My wound continued to pour blood into my soaked uniform as I lost consciousness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"Lieutenant Carrington?" I heard my name being whispered as I regained consciousness.

"Blayke, come on. Talk to me." The voice said still in a hushed tone as I felt a tap to my cheek. I opened my eyes to see Shaws kneeling over me.

"Are you alright Sergeant?" I asked weakly.

"I'm just fine but you're hurt pretty bad."

"What about the others?" I questioned not wanting to worry about my condition.

"I'm not sure. They had to fall back after you went down. The bombs were getting too close."

"Tsunami and Jethro? Are they with the squad?" I asked but as I looked next to me I got my answer.

"They've been hit badly too. I've applied a dressing as best as I could and they're doing alright."

"Riley please tell me that you have your radio." I inquired and he nodded his head.

"I do but there's no signal."

"Go find a place to get one. We'll be fine until you get back." I said feeling cold and numb.

"No I'm not leaving."

"Do it Sergeant." I ordered.

"With all due respect ma'am, I'm not leaving you here alone. You know that I don't defy orders but this time I am. It's too dangerous right now."

"Damnit don't make me pull rank." I said in a firm tone but he shook his head no. Riley picked up his weapon and sat beside me keeping a watchful eye on the surrounding area. Ain't this a hell of a time to start ignoring my orders?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"How much water is left?" I asked Riley.

"We have plenty but I need to find us some food."

"Shaws you're going to have to go find help." I said feeling weaker and a little sleepy.

"Already told you that I'm not leaving you, Tsunami and Jethro here."

"I know but you've got to. We'll need food and water soon. This area is secluded and I haven't heard anything from Tsunami and Jethro." I said as Shaws finished changing the bandaging on my battered body. He looked around scanning the spot or any movement in the dim light and I knew he was going to leave.

"Get some rest Lieutenant. I'll wake you if anyone comes by." I nodded giving up on trying to get him to follow my order. Shaws has to radio command eventually or we aren't coming out of this alive. I don't know how much longer I can hold on.
♠ ♠ ♠
So it's been a while since I posted. So sorry for not doing it sooner but please comment so I can give more frequent updates! I want to hear from everyone so don't be a silent reader. No one is going to judge you here.