Sequel: Always a Hero
Status: THE MORE COMMENTS I GET, THE MORE UPDATES THERE WILL BE!!!

Once a Hero

Rescued

"I'm going to get us some more water and try to find some food. I'll be back in a minute." I said hooking the canteens to my belt.

"Take the radio."

"I am. Maybe I'll get lucky with the damn signal." I said optimistically. I have...no I need to keep Blayke's spirits up.

"Hopefully." I picked up my gun and the radio before leaving the safety of the trees and brush. I had found a small stream not too far away from a hiding place 4 days ago while Blayke was resting. I tried the radio but there was no signal.

Now being day 5 since we were ambushed and Blayke along with Tsunami and Jethro being wounded, I have to find a signal. I fear they won't have much longer to live. I need that damn signal. I filled up the canteens and hooked them back on my belt. The screen on the radio was blank of bars here at the stream so I looked around to find a better spot. A high ridge of rock caught my eyes but it's a good hike away from the stream. I don't have a choice though. I crossed the stream and hiked up the Mountain of rocks all the while looking at the screen for any bars. I climbed to the very top and finally got 2 signal bars. I quickly dialed our company's number and waited for someone to pick up.

"114th Infantry Division, Delta Company. Private Franks speaking."

"Carson? Thank God." I said in a hushed voice but loud enough so that he could hear me.

"Shaws, is that you?"

"Yeah it's me. Listen, tell Colonel Daniels he's got to send men to come and get us. Lieutenant Carrington, Tsunami and Jethro are hurt pretty bad and are in need of immediate Evac." I explained as I watch for any insurgents.

"Why haven't you called sooner? Everyone has been put looking for you guys."

"Didn't have a signal until now. Here are my coordinates." I said. I have him our location and where we are hidden.

"I'll tell the Colonel. The unit is on its way."

"Don't forget a medic and hurry." I said before the radio cut out completely and beeped in my ear. I looked at the screen and saw that the battery was drained. At least it didn't decide to die right in the middle of the conversation. I rushed back down the rocks eager to tell Blayke about our situation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~Colonel Daniels POV~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


For days I've tried to find Blayke, Riley, Tsunami, and Jethro but there hasn't been much luck. Command wants me to list them as KIA but I can't do that. I need some Intel on where the hell they are. It's driving me out of my mind!

"Colonel, I have a location on Sergeant Shaws and Lieutenant Carrington."

"Hold on. Slow down Private. What do you mean by you have a location on my missing soldiers?" I asked and Private Franks took a deep breath before speaking again.

"Sergeant Shaws just called sir. He has requested an immediate Evac from this location." Franks handed me a slip of paper which contained the coordinates.

"Inform Captain Barilla and have him go get them."

"Yes sir." Private Franks rushed from my office not wanting to a waste a second. I breathed a sigh of relief before picking up my phone to speak with General Barhart about the call for help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~Blayke's POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The sound of twigs snapping caught my attention and I raised my weapon to defend myself at all costs. Shaws burst through the brush and I immediately lowered my weapon. He sure as hell knows how to make an entrance.

"Are you looking to get shot?" I asked in a somewhat angry tone.

"What?" I looked at him very confused as he sat there smiling at me like one of those weird Cheshire cats.

"I was able to get a call into Colonel Daniels office before the phone died. He's sending an Evac."

"When will they be here?" I asked curiously.

"Carson said they were coming now."

"That could be days from now. Colonel Daniels has to get authorization before sending a rescue out." I stated.

"The Colonel will not wait for that approval. He had a similar experience years ago. Command told him it would be days before a search could be officially granted and men died because of that Commands idiotic order. The Colonel won't make the same mistake twice." Shaws explanation put me at ease for a little while but it wouldn't last very long. I just hope they can get here before an enemy patrol does.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We waited for what seemed like decades for our unit to save us from the bowels of hell. The affects of my wounds were beginning to make my body shit down as the sun started to disappear. A rustling sound close to our secluded spot alerted Shaws and I. We both grabbed our weapons ready for a fight to the death.

"Shaws? Lieutenant? Where are you guys?" A hushed voice called out to us. I slowly laid my weapon down on the ground as Shaws pushed open the covering brush to reveal us. Sergeant Shaws directed a corpsman over to me and my wounded children. The medic checked ms over before placing IVs into both of my arms.

"Hang in there Lieutenant Carrington. We're going to get you soldiers home." I nodded weakly feeling my body giving pit on me with each passing second. The men hoisted me off the ground and over to a waiting chopper. Since Shaws had no injuries he had to back with them in the Humvee. I closed my tired and weary eyes hoping that I see my daughter's precious smiling face again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beep....Beep....Beep. The sound started out of the darkness low and barely able to be heard. The more awake and aware I became the louder the beeping got. Pain stung my body like a thousand small needles.

"Lieutenant Carrington? Can you hear me?" The stranger's voice said to me. My eyes slowly fluttered open wincing as the sunlight hit them. I opened my eyes just enough to see a doctor and nurse standing over me.

"Don't try to speak Lieutenant. There's a tube down your throat helping you to breathe. Nod once if you understand." I nodded at the doctor and he smiled.

"Do you want the tube taken out?" Again I nodded my head in a yes. I watched the doctor as he carefully slid the tube from my throat. I coughed violently and the nurse gave me some cool water to quench my irritated throat.

"Do you remember what happened Lieutenant?"

"I was shot. Where's Tsunami and Jethro? Did they make it?" I asked hoarsely. I was more concerned for them than me.

"They're just fine. Only minor injuries. As your doctor, I must advise you about the injuries you've sustained."

"Well what are they sir?" I said addressing the Captain.

"A large laceration to the left side of your face required 35 sutures which was caused by the explosions. When you first arrived, I found that you had multiple gunshot wounds. 12 to be exact. There was some internal bleeding but none of the major organs were damaged. Due to the amount of blood you lost, you've been in a coma for 19 days."

"19 days? You must be joking." I said but the doc shook his head.

"No ma'am."

"What were Tsunami and Jethro's injuries?" I asked very concerned.

"They were minor. Some were through and through but after surgery they are recovering very well."

"I need to see them." I said trying to sit up in the bed but the doctor pushed me back down. He didn't have to use much force his I was weakened.

"You need your rest Lieutenant. In a few days I'll have an orderly take you to them."

"Alright." I said. I needed to see for myself but it's hard to get up being this weak.

"I'll come by and check in on you in a few minutes." I watched the doctor leave the room only to be replaced by Sergeant Shaws and Private Franks.

"Blayke you're alright!"

"Have been for 5 minutes." I said smiling at my friend and my savior.

"We've been so worried. Riley said your heart stopped in the chopper."

"I'm fine now guys." I said.

"We're just happy that you , Tsunami, and Jethro are doing alright."

"I am too. Did anyone tell my mother about what happened?" I asked. I didn't want her to worry herself to death.

"Colonel Daniels did but he said that you would make a full recovery."

"Oh hell. Telling her not to worry will make her worry 10 times more." I said shaking my head. I looked at Shaws' shirt and noticed the medal pinned over his heart.

"I see you got yourself a Silver Star. You definitely deserve it."

"I'm not the only one who's getting a medal." Shaws said as he reached into his bag and pulled out several small boxes.

"What's this?" I questioned as he handed them to me.

"There's a Purple Heart and Bronze Star for you, Tsunami and Jethro plus a Silver Star for you."

"Colonel Daniels also has something for you but I'm sworn to secrecy." Carson said while grinning.

"Now that's really got me wondering. Thanks a lot Carson."

"No problem. We better be going so you can rest. I'll let Colonel Daniels know that you're awake." Carson said. Shaws and Franks gave me their goodbyes before leaving my bedside. I closed my eyes as I held onto the small boxes. The rhythmic beeping coming from the heart monitor beside me went from an annoyance to a comforting sleeping aid.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I'm think I'll give you readers 2 chapters tonight. But please leave comments. I don't wanna have to rant and rave again. Also check out my other story called Two Worlds. It could really use some feedback.