Once & Forever

The Love of Camelot

"What? She's leaving?" Merlin stared at Arthur. "Arthur, you have to stop her. You've got to-" Arthur shot his servant a look, one that promptly shut him up. It wasn't his place to speak. But he also could see how Arthur felt.

"And just what am I supposed to say, Merlin? 'You can't go because...'?" He trailed, leaving the reasoning for Merlin to figure out. "I have no reason to keep her here. She's done her job."

"What if there are more bandits out there? And they come back to finish what they started? What then?"

"Then we'll fight them off. We've got plenty of men for the job, Merlin." Arthur sighed and ran his hand through his hair.

"But she was going to train you, so you would be more prepared to fight! What happened to that?" Merlin was pushing it. But he felt that he had to. He just had to get Arthur to see... Or to admit...

"You saw how our 'training' went. I beat her; I don't need it."

"Arthur, can't you just admit-"

"Admit what, exactly, Merlin? What am I supposed to admit? Who am I even supposed to admit anything to? There's nothing more that needs to be said!"

Merlin scoffed, causing Arthur to glower at him. "It's just... Arthur, everyone can see the way that you look at her. And I'm pretty sure I've seen her look at you, too."

"It... It doesn't matter how we look at one-another, Merlin. She's a mercenary; help for hire. You know my father wants me to marry for the love, and unity of Camelot and another nation."

"Who said anything about marriage? Just tell her how you feel!"

"Because it doesn't matter how I feel if it can't go anywhere!" Arthur shouted, silencing Merlin.

There was a knock at his chamber's door.

"...yes?"

"A-Arthur? It's Gwen..." The door slowly opened, and Morgana's maid popped her head in. "Katrina's outside. She's getting ready to leave."

"Okay." Arthur folded his arms across his chest.

"Don't you want to-"

"I'm very busy, Gwen. Katrina's a big girl, she can see herself out. And I'm sure my father is seeing her off, anyway."

"But..."

"Guinevere." His tone was sharp; commanding. The maid left in silence. Merlin just stared at Arthur, shaking his head. "What?" he snapped.

"Nothing... I'm going to go see if Gaius needs anything," Merlin muttered, leaving the room in a state. But Arthur couldn't be bothered with his servant's feelings. Not when his own were so... so damn conflicting.

Down in the courtyard, Uther was, as Arthur predicted, bidding the mercenary a farewell. "Are you sure there's nothing more we can do for you? A horse, perhaps."

The blonde shook her head. "No, thank you, so much, though, Uther. You've already done me quite a deal, and I am forever appreciative of it. If you're ever in need of anything... You know how to reach me. Though I don't think you will. Your men seem very capable." Katrina lingered for a moment, glancing up at the castle's doors, as if she expected them to open. When no one came, she let out a small sigh. "Alright, I should be going now, or I won't find a place to sleep until well past last light. Take care, Uther, and say goodbye to Gaius for me. He's a busy man, I didn't want to bother him." And she really didn't want to be in that castle one second more.

She was out of the gates before Arthur even reached his window to watch her leave, from above. Any chance he had, it had fled with her.

But it was for the better... Wasn't it?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this one's short. Really wanted to throw something in there before I headed off for bed!

I'm also trying to decide if this is the end, if I want to add more chapters, or possibly make a sequel. Hmm... I'll have to sleep on it.