Once & Forever

Sacrifice

In one swift motion, Arthur jumped up, ripping the sword from the guard behind him, the same idiot who hadn't thought to tie his hands sufficiently, and tore him down with a flick of his wrists. Apparently, Merlin had been secured more appropriately, and wasn't able to break free of his bindings. But he wasn't in immediate danger. Katrina was.

Arthur leapt forward and smacked the hilt of the sword against Balrad's fist, sending the knife flying, without cutting Katrina any further. Balrad backed up, nearly stinking with fear.

"I-I was only taking what was due to me," he stuttered.

"What is owed to you is nothing," Arthur spat. Merlin seemingly got free and was cradling Katrina against him, helping her to her feet. "Get her out of here, Merlin, she's suffered enough." Arthur pointed the sword down at the bandit. "I could kill you where you cower right now, it's only what my father would do. But if you swear to leave Camelot, I will-" Arthur was cut off mid-sentence as Katrina came from nowhere and grabbed his hands, forcing them forward; forcing the sword right through Balrad's chest. Arthur's eyes just widened.

"He wouldn't have listened to you," she muttered, in a voice that was barely there. "He would have found us and killed us before we made it back to Camelot. He's been doing this for too... too long." She sank back to her knees, but brought the sword down with her, and out of Arthur's hands. "As far as you're concerned... I killed him."

As they rode back to Camelot, on horses taken from the bandits, who had quickly disbanded, Arthur thought about her words. I killed him. At first, he thought she wanted to claim the kill, to take all the credit. But he was slowly coming to the realization that she was protecting him. Because he wasn't going to kill Balrad; he didn't want to. He didn't want to sink to the same level the bandit had. And she was protecting him from having that on his conscious. She was truly a mystery. But he was likening to her more and more with every action, and word from her mouth.

He glanced back as Merlin kept her limp frame leaning against his chest, as they rode on, following Arthur, and the three feeble patrol men, back to Camelot. She looked like hell; he just hoped Gaius could help her.

Upon arriving back in the castle, Merlin rushed Katrina to Gaius' chambers. Arthur took some time hanging back, but eventually followed. He leaned in the open doorway as Gaius began to remove Katrina's clothing, to get a better look at her wounds. Arthur slanted his eyes to the floor, wanting to respect her, as a lady. Merlin was too busy helping Gaius tend to her, to even think about her barely-clothed form.

"These wounds are quite serious. I'm surprised she made the ride back at all," Gaius said softly as he began to dab at her wounds with a medicinal cream. "Merlin, start cleaning up her eye, so I can see the damage that has been done." Merlin nodded and immediately began tending to her.

"Gaius," Arthur said, softly. "How is she?"

"It's hard to tell right, Sire. I'm going to have to watch her through the night to make sure nothing happens. But Merlin will help."

"Merlin." Arthur nodded his head, pulling his servant away, for a moment. "How exactly did she barter with the bandits to... to spare us?" Arthur couldn't make eye contact with Merlin, he was so afraid of what he was going to say. Merlin remained silent, as he studied Arthur's face, reading his fearful features. "Merlin!" Arthur barked, casting a quick glance upward.

"Her life," Merlin breathed out. As he did so, Arthur's breathing hitched. It was exactly what he didn't want to hear. He felt entirely responsible for the state she was now in.

"What do I say to my father?" he whispered, rhetorically, to himself.

Of course, Merlin answered. "The truth. We did everything we could, Arthur. We probably wouldn't have returned to Camelot, if it hadn't been for Kat." Arthur shot him a look, at the use of her nickname. "Er- Katrina. Uther needs to know what she sacrificed for us."

Arthur felt himself choking before he could speak. "She hasn't sacrificed anything. She's not dead, Merlin."

"Arthur..." But the prince was already walking away. He couldn't stand to be there a second longer.

Merlin and Gaius worked long until the sun had set. Arthur spoke with his father almost as long. He paused as he walked away from the council room, to his chambers. He thought about checking in on Gaius and Merlin... and Katrina. But then quickly retreated to his room. He didn't want to see the shape that she was in.

Merlin popped into Arthur's room soon after. "What did you tell Uther?"

Arthur ran a hand through his hair, sending it into disarray. "Everything," he sighed.

"Well, I mean... About killing Balrad?" Merlin's voice grew softer, more cautious.

Arthur's eyes shot up and bore into Merlin's. "I... I told him she did it... Because she did." He cast his eyes back down to the table he had sat himself at. "I don't need you right now, Merlin. I just... I need time to think."

"So... do I have the night off?" Merlin sounded like he was trying to tease Arthur a bit; lighten the mood.

"No, you have the night to save her damn life." It was almost a growl. It made Merlin leave the room without so much as a backward glance.

Katrina's life was touch and go throughout the night, and at once point, Merlin teared up, as it seemed she wasn't going to come back. Gaius couldn't find a pulse. She suddenly gasped, coming back to life, but not regaining consciousness.

"I fear we may have to prepare Arthur and the king for the worst," Gaius muttered to Merlin, just as the sun was cresting. Merlin swallowed heavily. Arthur was already so upset, he felt apprehensive about what would happen should the worst come to be.

There was a knock at the door soon after. It was Guinevere. "Is there anything I can do to help?" she asked, softly. She peered over Merlin's shoulder at the mercenary on the cot.

"We could use fresh water," Merlin replied, equally as soft, as though they didn't want to wake the comatose patient.

"I'm worried, I don't think Arthur has slept at all."

"Doesn't surprise me," Merlin mumbled.

"Do you think..." Gwen started. But she trailed off and shook her head. "I'll be right back with the water."

What did Merlin think? He wasn't sure, in the least. But he knew there was something different going on with Arthur.

Gaius and Merlin approached Uther in the council room a couple hours later.

"Arthur has told me everything that happened. Even the Mercenary bartering with her life, to save my men. Are you doing everything you can for her?" Uther looked pensive, as usual.

"I'm afraid I am, Sire. But the outcome... I'm afraid the outcome may be a grave one." Gaius folded his hands in front of him.

"Then she will be honored in her sacrifice. She will have a knight's burial."

Merlin noticed Arthur was nowhere to be seen. Was he still locked in his chambers? It made the servant nervous.

When Gaius and Merlin returned to their chambers, Arthur was standing post, outside the closed door.

"Arthur!" Merlin was more than surprised to find him there. "What are you doing? Do you need something?" Merlin stayed outside the door with the prince, whilst Gaius entered the room, to check on Katrina.

"She's going to die, isn't she?" Arthur asked, his voice low and wavering.

Merlin glanced through the cracked door, at the woman on the bed. He didn't know what to say.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just curious what people's thoughts are? What do you like? Is there anything you would change? Is there anything that you're confused about? Where do you think the story is headed?

Thank you to the couple that have commented, and given me feedback! I greatly appreciate each and every read.