Once & Forever

Revival

Three days time went by. Three days where Arthur couldn't think or function correctly. He was off in all of his sparring matches, he couldn't make a single damned decision himself, and he turned away nearly every meal Merlin brought him. In fact, he didn't even want Merlin acting as his servant; he only wanted him assisting Gaius, though the physician remained firm in his 'grim' outlook on the situation. It only served to vex him further until he could no longer take it.

"Is there anything you can do!?" he finally shouted at the old man, his voice booming in the corridor. "You're a damned physician! Make yourself useful, would you?" Merlin quickly intervened and led Arthur away. "Do not. Touch me, Merlin," Arthur growled, roughly shaking his servant off.

"Arthur, what is going on with you?" Merlin asked, like he didn't already know.

"She took us on that journey to rid us a problem that I couldn't solve, and now I am going to be the reason she's dead!" Arthur shouted, only inches from Merlin's face.

Merlin opened his mouth to respond, when Gaius came rushing around the corner. "Merlin, Arthur, come quick!" He was off running again, before the men could ask him why. They followed, in succinct pursuit, to Gaius' chambers. Arthur's heart was racing; he feared the worst was now. But he stopped dead in the doorway, even as Merlin rushed in, when he saw Katrina sitting up in the cot, coughing.

Gaius had an arm around her shoulder, and was demanding Merlin for a blanket. It was obvious the woman was shivering, as she clung desperately to the fabric being draped around her.

"We thought you were all but gone!" Gaius exclaimed. He was headed for an already hot kettle of water, to make some medicinal tea from.

"I... I felt like I was," Katrina whispered, unable to raise her voice more. Her gaze lifted, and found Arthur's stunned expression. Her dark eyes dropped to the cup that Gaius was handing her. "Thank you."

"It really is a miracle that you're alive," Merlin said, as he settled his own pillow behind her back, to help prop her up. Katrina offered him a brief smile, but she mostly focused on drinking down the warm, soothing tea in her shaking hands. "I'll go let the king know," Merlin said, standing up. "Go to her," he murmured as he passed by Arthur on his way out.

Arthur cleared his throat and stepped into the room. "Good to see you're up," he said, trying to keep his voice authoritative, and steady. He watched as Gaius packed another blanket around her, trying to keep her as warm as possible.

"Feels like I've come back from the dead," she murmured.

"As you have," Gaius said. He felt her forehead. "You are very cold. As I would assume from being so near the brink of death for so long. How are you feeling?"

"Sore. Stiff."

"Ah, yes, we'll need to get you up and moving, to work out your muscles. But for now, you need to store as much energy as possible. You went through quite an ordeal." Katrina nodded, and finished her tea. Gaius was quick to make her more. "To promote as much healing from the inside out," he explained. "I should go check on Merlin." He was also quick to leave the room, leaving the two blondes in a nearly awkward silence inside.

"You shouldn't have bartered your life," Arthur said after a very pregnant pause.

Katrina looked up at him. "What else was I to do? You were..." She paused, and in that time, Uther filled up the space between them.

"I'm so glad to see you're alive, Lady Katrina. It's a blessing, truly. We should have a celebration, not only for your good health, but in your defeating the bandits, and saving my men!"

Feeling, and looking, quite overwhelmed by the king's exuberance, Katrina set the tea down on the table near the cot, and nestled down in the blankets. "I think I need to rest," she said, sounding the softest she ever had since arriving in Camelot.

"Of course," Uther said with enthusiasm. "Tomorrow night, then?"

"...sure."

"Sire, I'm afraid she really does need her rest. It would be best if we let her be for now," Gaius stepped in, reading Katrina's signs for what they clearly were.

Arthur left with his father.

The following day, preparations were being made for a large celebration. As servants ran around outside, Katrina sat on the edge of her cot, staring at the floor. Everything ached. She had no idea how she was supposed to be a guest at a banquet when it hurt just to breathe. Gaius had confirmed that she'd had several ribs broken. She winced every time she tried to draw in a deep breath.

There was a knock at the door, which she found odd, considering Merlin and Gaius were free to come and go as they pleased - after all, it was their chambers.

"May I come in?" came a soft voice from the other side. It was Morgana's maid, Guinevere.

"Of course," Katrina called back, her voice a little strained.

The woman entered, with a gentle smile on her delicate features. "How are you feeling, my lady?"

The mercenary tried not to laugh at the formal title, it felt so strange to her. "Please, just Kat." She smiled at the maid. "I'm... I'm feeling rather beaten up, to be honest."

Gwen nodded, with a sympathetic smile. "Morgana sent me here, to lend a dress to you for tonight. I understand that you're still in a bit of pain, so I'm here to help you into it."

Kat blinked wearily, as she eyed the crimson garment in Gwen's hands. "That's not necessary," she said after a moment of silence. "I'm not sure I'm even going to attend." She felt guilty saying it aloud, but she felt she could be candid with Guinevere.

"Oh, but you must," Gwen insisted. "The king is very excited about it. And I think it would be good for you. Better than just sitting in these... cramped quarters all evening! It should be fun. And Arthur..." Gwen trailed off when she saw Katrina's expression change. There was no telling what emotion flitted over her features, but it was an uncomfortable one.

Kat stared at the dress for a long moment before sighing, wincing with the motion. "Alright, I'll go. Just... Don't tighten the dress too much, please?" She had never worn a corset before in her life and the very idea made her sides hurt.

A good hour later, Katrina was dressed in the deep red gown, with a delicate necklace falling down her chest, into the heart-line of the dress. A matching set of beads were woven into her golden hair. There was a dash of color on her lips, to match the dress, and a light shade of brown on her lids. She looked into the mirror, in her own chambers, with some discomfort.

"I look..."

"Beautiful," Gwen finished for her, as she finished brushing her long hair down her back. "You're an absolute vision, Katrina. Arthur will be-" Katrina shot her another look, through the mirror. Clearly, the prince was a forbidden subject, for whatever reason. There was something odd about the both of them, when it came to the other. "Well, Uther will be extremely happy to see you." Gwen nodded. There was a knock at the door. Gwen answered, peeking through to see who it was. A moment later, Merlin was standing in Kat's room, staring at her, wordlessly. Gwen elbowed him, not-so discreetly.

"Lady Katrina," Merlin began. "Are you ready to head to the banquet hall?"

"As ready as I'll ever be, I suppose," she muttered to herself. She slowly lifted herself from her chair, grimacing as every muscle and bone in her body ached. She forced a smile on her features; after all, she didn't want to appear ungrateful. Merlin held his arm out to her, and she took it, using it to support herself. Merlin's muscles tensed, as he helped to hold her up. "At least I'm not in ridiculous heels," she lamented, quietly, earning a chuckle from Merlin.

Katrina held her breath as they stood in front of the banquet hall doors. "I'm not sure..." she murmured, staring at her feet.

"You can leave at any time, Kat," Merlin said. "You can just give me a look, and I'll help you out." He smiled.

"Then I'll just seem a ungrateful brat. I'll offend the king, and the court. I couldn't."

"I think Uther will understand, with what you've been through," Merlin offered. He was reaching for the doors. Katrina's hand came over his, stopping him.

"Wait." She pulled his hand away from the door. "I have to ask... How is Arthur?" It seemed fitting; after all, she'd nearly sacrificed her life to save his.

Merlin smirked. "Why don't you find out yourself?" Before she could stop him, Merlin reached for the door, and opened it. As they entered the banquet hall, the room seemed to fall into a hush. Katrina's cheeks felt as though they were boiling, with all eyes on her. She felt so exposed. She swallowed heavily, and forced the same smile on her face that she placed for Merlin earlier.

Merlin walked her up to the head of the table... right between Arthur and Uther. Arthur tried not to stare, but when he did, he felt his mouth go dry. He had no words. He felt utterly and helplessly awkward. As did Katrina.

"We are here tonight," Uther began, as he stood up, raising his chalice. "To celebrate the safe return of my son, and the Mercenary, Katrina. She was willing to give her life for the love the Camelot. I can think of no one more nobel at this time, than the lady." Katrina wanted to bury her face in the silken sleeves of her dress. "To the Lady Katrina!" Uther boomed. The room called back to him, "to the Lady Katrina!" The noise picked up as everyone began to talk and eat.

A plate was placed in front of Katrina, and though it looked tempting, she hadn't had much of an appetite since she had awoke. But again, fearing she would look ungracious, she raised her fork at began to pick at the food, searching for something she hoped she could stomach. The chicken seemed easy enough, but she was slow to eat. She could feel Arthur's eyes on her. She glanced sideways at him and saw that he had barely touched his food, as well.

"How..." she started. "How are you feeling, Sire?" Her voice was so soft, underneath the din of the commotion in the room, Arthur almost didn't hear her.

But he did, and he chuckled. "I already told you, you don't have to address me in such a way, my lady." She couldn't help but laugh. And then hiss, at the sharp pain in her sides. Arthur's brows drew together. "Are you alright?"

She nodded curtly. "I just... I'm not used to such... Confining clothing." The next thought that flitted through Arthur's mind was one he had to quickly dismiss; it was filthy.

"Do you need to rest?"

She shook her head, almost as curtly as her nod. "No, this whole thing is for me, I can't just leave."

Arthur suddenly stood and held out his hand to her. She just stared, dumbly, at it.

"One dance," he said. "Once dance and then you can go."

She still stared, wearily. "Arthur, I literally cannot dance. I never have in my life and-" She stopped as he pulled her from her seat. He was gentle.

"Then I will lead."

Though the music was jovial, and fun, they moved slowly, and Arthur occasionally would twirl her out, before bringing her back in. He realized the support she still required, and supported her form against his, making sure not to hold her too tight.

"See, you're not bad!" he offered, with a genuine smile. "You don't have two left feet, so that's always a good thing."

"Do you think I would be a very efficient mercenary if I did?"

Arthur laughed. "No, I suppose you wouldn't." They danced on, longer than Katrina thought she could. But the time came when she felt her muscles giving way. Arthur could feel it too. "Alright, I think it's time you returned to your chambers for a night of good rest. God knows how awful that cot must have felt."

"I wouldn't really know," she murmured. "I was practically dead most of the time I was on it." She quickly realized, by Arthur's darkened expression, that it wasn't the joke that she had intended it to be.

Arthur told Merlin to alert Uther that he was taking Katrina back to her chambers for the evening. "I will make sure my father knows that you enjoyed your time," Arthur said, trying to quell her fretting, as they walked through the corridors.

"Thank you," she murmured, as she began to enter her chambers. Arthur followed her in, much to her surprise.

Even further, he began to undo the backing of her gown. "I've seen the way Gwen laces these; they must be impossible to remove yourself, without hurting yourself, of course." The gown dropped to the floor, leaving Katrina in nothing but a light camisole. She blushed, but Arthur seemed entirely unfazed, as he guided her to her bed.

"Arthur," she murmured, as she climbed in. He pulled the covers over her. "About what I said earlier... I didn't mean that..." she wasn't quite sure how to finish apologizing.

"There's no hard feelings," he said. "But I have yet to thank you for what you did. There really are no words to describe how deep my gratitude runs. Even if I think it was foolish."

"Foolish? You would be dead if I hadn't done something! What would be foolish would be to let-" She froze, as Arthur's hand came to the side of her face, his thumb on her lower lip.

"It was foolish. But it was brave."

She remained stiff under his touch, but his hand was so warm, it was nearly impossible not to melt into it.

"Rest. And once you're better, maybe you can show me some of your techniques, out on the field." He removed his hand and stepped back. "Sleep well, Katrina." He quietly left the room. She could still feel the heat of his hand on her face.
♠ ♠ ♠
I tried to create a general idea of what Katrina would look like in this scenario - http://i65.tinypic.com/1599ap.png