Status: Enjoy lovelies!

Secrets of the Past

.001

Okay so I knew that my day would go to shit early on. Especially because I slipped and fell on ice, not a great start to my ten-hour trip to Georgia.

“Mother fucking Jack Frost,” I yelled. I just laid there on the frozen ice on the old gray black top. My best friend and business partner Brie Dawson just laughed at me. “Don’t laugh at me bitch!”

“I can’t help it,” she said in between laughs. “You j-ust don’t have a pretty falling face.”

“I don’t think anyone does,” I grumbled as I sat myself up. My tailbone was throbbing. I definitely know it was instantly bruised.

“I’m sorry, do you want me to drive?” Brie asked sarcastically.

“No,” I grumbled, as I grabbed the keys out of my coat pocket. “You know I can’t wait to get the hell out of Jersey. No more snow, just sun and the beach for me and you!”

“I can’t believe we’re finally leaving this place for good, especially because of-“

I cut her off immediately; I didn’t need her to remind me at all. “Lets just not talk about it. Aright? We’re starting fresh in Georgia.”

“You know you have to talk about soon Austen. It’s going to eat you alive,” Brie said as she opened my jeep’s door to throw a small bag in the front seat.

“I know but right now I don’t want to. Can we just put it to bed right now? I just want to enjoy this road trip with my best friend,” I told her as I started my jeep. I grumbled that my stupid heat needed to kick in like now. Although knowing my wonderful car, wouldn’t heat up until we got the highway.

“Why didn’t we start Jerry earlier?” Brie asked, in-between her teeth chattering.

“Because we decided sleeping in for an hour more was more important.”

“Oh yeah, now I remember,” she said as I saw her warm up a cold lighter in her hands.

“Don’t you have a lighter in your pack?”

“Yes, and your point?” She asked as she lit one of her LMN Menthol cigarettes.

“It doesn’t make sense,” I laughed, as I tried to explain why that didn’t make sense. Though knowing my friend’s hardheaded demeanor, it wouldn’t.

She didn’t respond, which was her way of saying drop it. We started our way to the beginning part of our day, which was to Dunkin. We would have gone to Wawa but we were too lazy to get out of the jeep.

We got up to the drive through and listened to the overly perky girl. “Hi, welcome to Dunkin Donuts, how can I help you?”

“Hi can I get a extra large dark roast coffee with ten creams and ten sugars. And can I get three things of hash browns and a plain bagel with cream cheese please?”

“Alrighty, is that all?” She asked, still annoyingly perfect.

“Yes, hold on,” I told her. I turned towards Brie. “The use?”

“Yes,” she said while reading something on her phone.

“Hi, can I also get an extra large French Vanilla coffee with cream and sugar. A bacon and egg bagel sandwich, with three things of hash browns as well. And also four things of strawberry donuts please.”

Perky drive through lady said okay and told us our total and then we were on our way. The amount of money we spent preparing for this trip to how much that we would spend on the road, would be astronomical.

“Are you nervous?” Brie asked, breaking me out of my thoughts.

“Nervous about what girl?” I asked her, as I lit a cigarette.

“You know the move Austen! We’re moving all the way to Georgia, to start our kick ass wedding business! It’s all right if you are,” she said as she lit her own. “I’m nervous you know.”

“I don’t know, I mean I’m a little nervous but I’m more excited. Everyone knew we were leaving and I really didn’t have to say goodbye to anyone. So I’m not nervous. Plus I have you, which is all I really need.”

“I know, and your all I really need too,” she said, giving me a warm smile. “But your not going to miss your parents or everyone at Sean’s Place?”

“I am just-,” I said trying to get the words out just right. “Just lets drop it right now okay?”

“Alright, whatever you say,” she said, giving me a side eyed look.

I knew that the next ten in half hour drive would not be easy. Especially since she wouldn’t let go about a certain subject that I was trying to avoid that she wasn’t. I loved her but I wanted to start fresh and she just wasn’t getting it whatsoever.

“How long until we get to Bridge Water?”

I checked the time and it was like eight thirty. “Well it takes like ten hours to get there so I would say like six-thirty or seven o’clock. But with leaving now it work out so we’ll be able to have enough time in between traffic and stopping for gas and what not.”

“Alrighty, that sounds good! Just let me know when you want to switch and I’ll drive,” Brie said, giving another side eyed look. “Are you sure you’re okay? Do you want to talk about her?”

“Yes Brie,” I said, finally giving her the satisfaction of talking about it. “Lets talk.”