‹ Prequel: Seven Year Ache

Weapons of War

FOREVER

It was a quarter to five in the evening when Riley woke up in a big, empty bed in a room with huge windows over looking Emerald Lake. She had laid down with the intent to just relax, and somehow managed to fall asleep. She stretched and then sat up, looking around before a wide smile found its way onto her face. She ran her fingers through the red rose petals that were laying on top of her blanket, and damn near giggled.

There was a knock on the door as she grabbed a handful of the petals and brought them to her nose, she took a large breath in as the door opened and she looked up to find Quinn and Kelly walking in, Quinn holding Noah against her hip. Kelly raised her eyebrow, "What are you doing?"

"Being incredibly, unbelievably happy." Riley told them, dropping the petals and holding out her hands for Noah. The eight month old cuddled into her chest, still in his pyjamas, and she looked at Quinn, who, along with Kelly, were both in their dresses with their hair and make up already done, and asked, "Guess I'm the last one to get ready, huh?"

"I was just worried about you falling asleep and sleeping through the whole thing, didn't want you to have to get married with bed head and in pjs." She said with a wide grin.

Glancing back at the bed, and Noah who was now playing with the rose petals, she commented, "These weren't here when I went to sleep."

"Mm, no, no they weren't. Those were an early evening addition brought to you by yours truly, on direct orders from your wonderful, soon to be husband. Who by the way, is looking very handsome." Quinn reported to her.

"God I love that man." Riley said, and then she smiled and looked down at Noah, who was looking up at her with wide eyes, and she poked his nose, and when he giggled she said, "And you. I love you too."

"Well I hate to break up the cuteness but little one is due in the boys dressing room... oh five minutes ago." Kelly said, motioning for Riley to say goodbye to Noah for the time being. She held him close and gave him several kisses to his little face before she handed him off to Kelly and watched them leave the room.

Curiously she asked Quinn, "Where are they going?"

"Boy time. Shea wanted to get him dressed in his little suit, which is the cutest thing I have lirerally ever seen in my entire life." Quinn informed her, before she glanced at her watch and said, "Well I think I'll go get you a snack and something to drink. You have fun here… you know… collect yourself."

"For?" Riley asked.

"You're getting married in a few hours silly!" Quinn said with a grin as she practically skipped out of the room singing, "Shea and Riley sittin in a tree."

With a small smile on her face Riley got out of bed and shuffled across the creaking wood floor toward the ensuit bathroom. She pulled the robe off of the hook on the front of the door and slipped into it, before she made her way toward the large windows. She leaned against the wall, arms losely crossed over her chest as she looked out at the scene before her. This was precisely the reason she and Shea had picked here, on Emerald Lake, to have their very small wedding. Her room had a perfect view of the lake and it's vibrant blue-green water. Part of her favorite thing about BC was the outdoors, Shea as well, and so when it came time to pick their location it was a no brainer.

She glanced at the clock on the nightstand again, just after five now. Their guests, all 20 of them total, would be arriving sometime within the next hour. Riley was glad she had washed her hair earlier that day, and that Quinn, while extremely good at applying makeup, was a quick worker. She hadn't left herself with very much time time to get ready in before she had to be walking down the cobblestone toward her two boys, and their future.

She opted to hop into the shower for a quick freshening up, before she dried off, tied her robe around herself and nearly jumped out of her skin to find Quinn sitting on the end of her bed. The even more tanned than usual brunette held out a flute of champagne and a bag of animal crackers and said, "Shea cornered me on my way in here. Wanted you to have these."

With a smile Riley took both the glass and the bag of crackers and allowed Quinn to guide her onto a chair by the window. Riley sat and munched on crackers while Quinn set up her lighting and makeup. She let Quinn do her thing, starting with her hair, and while she was pinning the comination of curls and braids into a bun at the back of her head Quinn joked, "Isn't life great when your maid of honor is a hairstylist and a makeup artist?"

"Two for one." Riley joked back with a wide grin.

Quinn was working on the finishing touches of her makeup when a knock on the door interrupted them, and Pekka stuck his head in to make sure it was safe to proceed. He stepped inside, Kelly stepping in around him and dropping onto the bed. Pekka looked at Riley, and with a big smile he told her, "You look absolutely beautiful."

Riley smiled, and burst into laughter when Quinn flipped her own dark hair over her shoulder and told him, "Thanks."

"Yes, you did a great job." Pekka told Quinn, who smiled gently as she double checked a few things, before allowing Riley to get up. When she did so Pekka leaned over and gave her a gentle hug, before he said, "Really. Shea's not gonna know what hit him."

"I'm not even dressed." Riley stated with an eye roll.

Kelly grinned and said, "She's so modest. Like please, like you don't know how pretty you are."

She rolled her eyes at that, but then looked back at Pekka and told him, a slight joking tone to her voice, "I may have threatened to turn around if Shea didn't cry when he saw me."

Pekka let out a laugh, and Quinn gave him a look as she asked, "Not that I don't enjoy your presence, but what are you doing here?"

"Right!" He exclaimed, pulling a a small box and a card from the inside pocket of his suit jacket, he handed them to Riley, "For you from the groom, please open once I leave so that Webs doesn't beat me."

She chuckled and walked around him, pulling, to Pekka's surprise, not one but three boxes out of her suitcase. She handed him the thinnest but longest one with the card attached and said, "Give this to Shea, it's his gift."

"And the other two?" Pekka asked, glancing at the two smaller boxes.

She set one, wrapped in wrapping paper with monsters on it and said, "For Noah."

"And that one?" Pekka asked, wanting to get all the proper instructions before he left the room.

She set the unwrapped, medium size jewelry box on top of the other two boxes in Pekka's hand and told him, "They're for Shea, it's not a gift. I know he has like 50 pairs of cuff links, but they were my dad's and I was hoping he would wear them today."

With a nod of his head Pekka leaned down, gently kissed her cheek and left the room, and Riley took a seat, cross legged on the bed and opened the card Pekka had given her, nearly laughing at Shea's chicken scratch.

I could say 100 things about why I love you and that wouldn't even come close to covering it. You have been the one constant thing in my life, you've picked me up more times than I can count, and probably knocked my ego down a notch or two as needed even more times, and I wish that there were words that could express my love and appreciation for you and everything you do. I always wanted to make the NHL, and you were such a big part of making that dream come true, and having you there with me through all of this craziness has made me the happiest man in the world, I only wish there was some way I could give you everything you've given me. I never knew how much I wanted a wife, a family, and a life to share with someone until I met you and I thank God that I did every single day. You are everything I could have ever asked for and then some, you've given me Noah, and I'm so thankful for that but you've also, and most importantly, given me the most perfect life, and made me the luckiest guy in the world, because I get to call you mine.

I don't know what the future holds, or where it will take us, but I have everything I could ever need to take it on; I have you.


Riley looked up at the ceiling and tried to blink away the tears that were threatening to fall and ruin all the work Quinn had put in. She waved the card in front of her face like a fan, and then let out a small chuckle, "Can I still claim that I'm hormonal?"

Kelly laughed and Quinn shrugged, grinning as she joked, "Don't worry, we won't tell anyone about your moment of weakness."

Riley slid the card back into the envelope and opened the small jewelry box, nearly crying again at finding a pair of pear shaped earrings in the box. A cluster of stones outlined the pear shaped opal; Noah's birthstone. Both Quinn and Kelly peaked over Riley's shoulders to look at the earrings and Kelly said softly, "He did good."

Riley nodded her head as she pulled the earrings from the box and put them on. Once she was done Quinn announced, "Alright, let's get you into this gorgeous dress and get your butt walking down that aisle."

- - -

On the other side of the lodge Shea was sitting on a bench at the end of the bed of his own room, he was half turned toward the bed, dressing Noah in his tiny suit. Pekka knocked, and then stepped inside, and Shea glanced over his shoulder, confirmed it was Pekka and turned back around to finish doing up the buttons of Noah's dress shirt.

Pekka set the three gifts down on the bench beside Shea, but handed him the one for Noah and told him, "For little man from his mother, who by the way, looks incredible."

"Of course she does." Shea said with a smile, sitting Noah down before he placed the wrapped box in front of Noah and took the time to help him open it slowly. Inside was a tiny little bow tie, so small it fit in Shea's palm, and it made him smile as he secured the clip on to Noah's shirt.

Once that was done Pekka swooped in, picked up Noah and said, "The smaller box isn't a gift, they were Dave's. We will be outside, getting ready."

Once the door closed behind them Shea opened the smaller box, finding a set of gold cuff links inside. He was quick to swap them with his own, before he pulled the card from the envelope attached to the wrapped gift.

Three weeks. That's how long it took for me to decide on this gift. You have given me so much; a life I never coyld have even dreamed of, a wonderful man who loves me more than I ever thought possible, a beautiful baby boy and I'm so incredibly grateful for that, and for you. We both know that I'm not the mushy one in this relationship, so I think I'll keep it short and say that I love you with everything that I have, and I'm so incredibly excited to walk down that aisle to you, to our future and finally become a Weber, it only took you long enough to get us here.

He let out a laugh, and tucked his finger underneath the edge of the wrapping paper, tearing it off. Underneath was a thin brown box, which he opened slowly, and within that was a black, leather bound book and a shiny silver flask. On the flask was the date, and upon picking it up he realized it was full so he unscrewed the cap and held it under his nose, a smile appeared on his face. Scotch.

With the cap to the flask on, and it securely tucked into the inside pocket of his tux jacket Shea pulled the black book out of the box and placed it in his lap. He opened the cover, and the inside was plain white, thought he did notice that there was gold gilding on the edges of the pages, and in loopy writing on the front page was 'for you, forever.'

When he turned to the first page he almost dropped the book, closing it quickly before he glanced around, as if someone had come into the room without him noticing before he opened it again and smiled. It was a picture of Riley, on her knees on a bed, back to the camera with her head partly turned toward the camera. Her hair was pulled over her shoulder to show off the large number six and his last name on the jersey that was covering herself.

The rest of the book was filled with similar pictures, all tasteful and modest, very Riley, but they sure did make him smile. God was he one lucky guy.

He flipped through the pages once more before he put it back in the box and underneath a few shirts in his suitcase. He ran a hand through his hair in front of the mirror, straightened his tie, pulled on his tux jacket and left the room. Pekka was sitting on the bench in the hallway with Noah, almost asleep, and he got up when he saw Shea, grinning he asked, "You ready?"

"For what?" Shea asked, today was so not a big deal, while being the biggest deal of his life thus far.

"The rest of your life." Pekka told him with a grin, and when he threw one arm around Shea's shoulder he joked, "It's not too late to back out. I can drive the getaway car."

Shea laughed, shook his head and as they got in their places at the front of the alter he told the goal tender, "I think I'll be fine."

Just inside the building Quinn and Kelly were fussing over Riley's dress, making sure it looked just right. When they had first seen the dress, when Riley self conciously walked into the bridal area to show them, they had decided it was so very a Riley dress. It was plain, compared to most of the other dresses out there, but it was her. It was fitted where it needed to be; across the middle and on the shoulders, which had the tiniest extra bit of material to be considered small sleeves. There was a piece going across the bust, underneath the actual dress, to cover cleavage, that was covered in beading, and that was the most amount of anything on the dress. It was slightly gathered at the hips, delicately enough that it accentuated her hips, before it flowed all the way down to the floor.

"Would you two stop? It looks fine." Riley said, jokingly slapping their hands away. She looked out at the short walk she would be making, from her position she could see Shea, but he couldn't see her. He looked incredible. His father, sitting in the first row, was holding Noah.

The music started, Kelly began walking, and Quinn turned around to face Riley, with a wide grin she asked, "Sure you don't wanna run? I can drive the car."

With a chuckle Riley gave her a gentle push forward and told her, "I've never been more sure about anything in my life before."

She certainly hadn't expected to be walking herself down the aisle, and while both Shea's father and Pekka had offered she had refused. There was only one person she wanted with her, and while he couldn't be there to walk her down the aisle and give her away she chose to believe he was here now, just not in the capacity she wished he was.

With a deep breath in Riley stepped out underneath the long roof leading her all the way to the other end, toward Shea. When her eyes met his he grinned widely, and Riley smiled at the sight of his eyes welling up with tears. Not forced, but he did try to hide them from their guests, not doing a great job at it.

She took a quick glance around, and with the way the lights they had set up bounced off of the water Riley was so glad that they had chosen this place, and that she had been able to convince Shea to do an evening ceremony. It was even more beautiful here at night, and if she couldn't have a winter wedding filled with gorgeous, fluffy white snow then this was the next best thing.

When she approached him, and was in the sight of Noah, he tried to get to her, letting out a squawking noise that made everyone laugh. With a smile Riley reached out and picked him up, holding him on her hip, knowing he wouldn't be quiet until he was near one of them. And then she finally stepped into the empty spot across from Shea, and he reached out to take her free hand in his.

Noah reached up and played with her necklace, and Riley looked up at Shea with a small smile, meeting his own deep brown eyes with hers as he spoke softly, "You look incredible, and I love you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to the person who asked if they had gotten married in the comment section. It inspired me to write a little flashback of their wedding!

Back to regularly scheduled present day updates now!

5 comments until the next chapter? :))))