‹ Prequel: It's a Start

Shot in the Dark

Come Over

The layover went faster than the last and we only had about ten minutes before we’d land. Leah nudged me awake and I packed up my stuff, putting my headphones in my bag. A few minutes later, the plane landed safely and I let out a relieved breath. We walked off the plane with our bags in tow and I hugged T-Rex to my side. He was my pillow during the ride.

Airplane mode was turned off now and Mindy’s texts were coming in. Leah, Mindy and I planned on Thanksgiving breakfast with Jasper, Connor, Brian, Gabby and Nate. We just had to let the others know and see if they could come as well.

Leah dropped me off at home and I hugged her tight before she pulled out of my driveway and I opened the front door. It was nice to finally be home.

John was coming over and I texted him to tell him to just walk in since I was about ready to fall asleep. My suitcase rolled behind me down the hall and I went into my room, leaving it by the foot of my bed and throwing my bag on the mattress. I yawned and lay down at the foot of my bed, hugging T-Rex to my chest and closing my eyes. My glasses were still on my face, but I didn’t mind.

I wasn’t sure if I was asleep or dreaming, but the feeling came in my stomach again when I heard my name being called. As it escalated and grew closer, my body started waking itself up. Wake up, Andy! Wake up! I yawned, turning over when I heard my name once again, “Andy.”

John was standing in the doorway and I watched him with sleepy eyes as he came over. Automatically, I put my arms up and waited for him to bend down and occupy them in a hug. He chuckled and wrapped his arms around my back while I was still lying down.

“Jet lag’s fun, isn’t it?” He asked from beside my head and I laughed a little. “Is that a dinosaur?” He asked after pulling away and looking at T-Rex beside us.

I grew excited and moved my arms away from him. “Isn’t he cute! Leah brought me to Dino-Sue and I got him from the gift shop.” He was in my hands one second and back beside me the next since John decided to interrupt me with his sweet lips. I put the stuffed animal down and touched John’s jaw as he kissed me. My hands slipped to his chest as he pulled away a little and I kept my eyes closed. “Is it creepy to say that I missed that?” I opened my eyes to see him grinning down at me and he chuckled before moving off and sticking his hands out for me to grab.

He took me out to the living room to turn on the TV and wrapped his arm around my waist. “Have you been in your pajamas the whole day?” He laughed, fingering the material of my shorts about twenty minutes later.

I was exhausted and jet lag was kicking my butt. I managed a small nod against his chest. He laughed again under me and turned the TV off, setting the remote on the table. He stood to his feet next. “What are you doing?” I mumbled with a yawn.

“Getting you to bed.” His hand stuck out again and I sighed before taking it and being led back into my room.

Just as he was about to turn off my lamp, I reached out to him. “Stay?”

His eyes analyzed my exhausted ones for a few seconds before he nodded with a small smile. He crossed the room to set his jacket in the armchair and untied his shoes before kicking them off. I took my glasses off, turned over onto my other side with my eyes closed and the room became darker with the sound of the switch. John climbed over me and got under the covers. I touched his torso and moved closer to him, my eyes fluttering closed again.

Being close like we were was comforting. He took care of me, getting me to bed because I was tired from the different time zones. Who knows when I’d be back in routine? The fact that he even stayed was comforting. He could’ve just shook his head or told me that he had to go back home, but no. He nodded with a soft smile and wrapped me up before we went to sleep. I slept like a baby, no disturbing dream (those ended a while ago), no sweating through the night. It was a peaceful, cool and noiseless night. Wonder how many more of those I could get out of him.

My eyes peeked open from feeling my breath come back onto my face and feeling the warmth of it. John’s chest was in my face– more like my face was in close proximity of his chest. I wonder how we’d gotten like that throughout the night. His breath came in easily, slowly, and he exhaled on the top of my head. Both of his arms were around me, one blocking my view of the ceiling. Originally, my arm was over his waist, but now both of mine were tucked into my chest.

I struggled to see the time on the clock on the other table behind him, but I slightly lifted my head up and peeked. It was noon already. How can two people just sleep half their day away? I mean– I had a pretty good reason, but what about John?

The sun was way past the point where it’d be shining in my eyes and part of that was due to it being above, but the other half was John’s arm. His cologne engulfed my nose since it was sticking to his clothes and skin. My eyes went to his shirt and I heard my phone vibrating in my bag that was now on the floor. Mindy must’ve been texting me.

John didn’t show any signs of getting up soon, so I carefully squirmed out from his arms. His cheek was squished against the pillow, but his eyes were softly closed. I admired him for a second then got out of bed and grabbed my bag. I went into the bathroom and dug it out to find texts from Mindy, but also one from Craig.

Mindy said Leah had gotten back to her and said that everyone was up for going to breakfast on Thursday. I still didn’t even know where I was having dinner.

I shoved that thought away for now and went to Craig’s message. Sorry we haven’t talked lately. New York’s good. Cold, but I like the winter.

I smiled slightly and tapped back while leaning against the counter. That’s good to hear. Are you going to be here for Thanksgiving? Hopefully he would so he could at least spend some time with his family and see them. He hadn’t been home in a while. I put my phone back and came out a minute later while the toilet flushed.

John was stretching his arms above him and yawning. I grinned, setting my bag on the dresser and crossing my arms as I watched him. “Hi.”

I giggled, “Hey.”

He sighed with a smile and sat up, running a hand through his hair. My feet moved forward when he looked up at me and I sat down in front of him.

“Are you hungry? I don’t have anything in the house so we could go out somewhere.”

“I should change and probably take a shower. My smelly butt was undoubtedly worse last night.” I laughed a little. “How about I go home and shower and I bring you something?”

“Sounds good,” I grinned as he began to lean forward. “But you should probably take a bath instead. You know, so your legs glimmer.” My arm slipped over his shoulder as I joked around with him.

“I might just do that so I can keep you waiting with a hungry stomach.” His face was getting closer to mine, his eyes closing.

I closed mine with a smirk. “You’ll have to deal with a hungry and grouchy Andrea then.”

“I can handle her,” he mumbled before pressing his lips to mine. My other arm went around him and touched the back of his head. His hands slipped away from my legs when he got up and went behind me to put his jacket and shoes on. “Be back in a bit.” He squeezed my shoulder before walking down the hall and closing the front door behind him. I grinned uncontrollably and got up to make the bed.

To pass the short time, I decided on a shower too and I washed my hair and body quickly before getting out and putting on the same clothes. What’s the point in changing into different pajamas when I’d most likely be staying in all day? I didn’t have to work; I had the whole week off because of the holiday. Plus, Moby gave everyone a week off every year since he went to Oregon with his wife and kids to see his family.

I let my hair dry naturally. My eyes blinked a few times after I put in my contacts and brushed my teeth. The door shut a second later, John announcing that he was back. I spit the water out of my mouth and wiped it dry before skipping out of my room and down the hall with damp hair.

“What’d you get?” I asked curiously, leaning against the counter as he brought out the two containers.

“Two burrito bowls, chips and two root beers.”

“You know me so well.” I grinned, grabbing one container and a drink before sitting at the counter to eat. It tasted odd since I had fresh toothpaste in my mouth.

SVU was currently on the TV and I could hear John talking to me, but I wasn’t paying attention. This show just made me so happy. I munched a chip in my mouth and searched for my drink without looking back, bringing the straw to my lips.

“Andy,” John said softly, rubbing my leg in his lap.

“Hmm?” My head jerked toward him and I forked more food into my mouth.

He chuckled a little and swallowed. “I asked what you were doing for Thanksgiving.”

“Oh.” I said coolly. “Um, not much. Mindy and Jasper are going to her parent’s house, Leah and Connor are going to his mom’s, Brian is probably going to his parent’s and Craig’s out of town.” I shrugged, not sure where I’d be spending my first Thanksgiving (you get it). “We’re all going out to breakfast though, along with Nate and Gabby.”

He nodded, chewing his food and looking over at me. “None of them asked you to tag along?”

“They did,” I nodded with a shrug. “I just feel uncomfortable because I don’t know anyone and I don’t like the blank and sad stares.”

“I know you don’t. Why don’t you come to my house? My ma’s dying to meet you anyways.”

A pleasant grin spread on my face. “You told your mom about me?”

“Yeah. She wanted to know where I was last night,” he covered up.

“And you just candidly told her you spent the night at my house? In my bed?”

“Not the ‘in your bed’ part,” he laughed. “I’ve talked about you before with her.”

I knew I’d get through that wall. “I’d love to.”
♠ ♠ ♠
here's another cause im going to maine tomorrow until tuesday and im bored and a little depressed

thanks for recommending southernserendipity!

SONG REC:
ILYSB by LANY

outfit:
x