‹ Prequel: It's a Start

Shot in the Dark

Sex

The color changed from red to green and I pushed down on the gas pedal. Tapping my fingers along with the music, I slowed down to take a left and parked in front of the building to wait for Mindy to come out.

We were going to lunch before her sonogram at the doctor’s office. I was hungry and she told me she could use a burger. Another craving. She walked out in a sundress; the wind ruffling the bottom of it as her sandal covered feet peaked out. I hugged her slightly when she got in and I headed toward the restaurant we picked out. She was already sweating by the time we got out of the car and I looped my arm through hers as we walked inside the cool building.

“Now I have to pee,” she muttered right as she sat down. I laughed, watching her get up again and head toward the restrooms. I got us both waters when the waitress came over and Mindy sat down in front of me a few minutes later. We looked over the menus and I took my glasses off my head, folding them and setting them on the table. Mindy put her menu down before me and we both ordered when the waitress came back.

She took a gulp of her water; rubbing her stomach as she did. “How’s work been?”

“Good. Dani’s doing pretty great so far.”

“But you would rather have me there, right?”

I grinned, “Definitely, but she’s just as equally as fun as you.”

“I doubt it,” she muttered and leaned forward on the table. “What about John? How was Eric’s going away night?”

“Fun. Everyone was there.” I began telling her about John and I, only becoming confused by the story. “And then we just walked. I- he’s being bizarre around me now.”

“Ask him out.” She said coolly, lifting her shoulder.

I almost choked on my drink. “What? I can’t do that.”

“Yes, you can.” At least she was encouraging about it. “It sounds like he likes you but he’s holding something back. Jasper used to be the same way and now look: we’re married and have a baby on the way two years later.” She lifted her hand, showing her ring off. That ring was gorgeous, making me dazed every time I looked at it. I made a stumped face and put my chin in my hand. “Remember that voicemail he left you in the summer? ‘Oh, I need you.’” She lowered her voice to match his. “He likes you, Andrea. Perhaps even more than he’s showing, you never know with boys.”

I took her advice and analyzed it while we ate. Maybe I should ask him out– just to, you know, see where it goes. I’m not saying that it’s going to work out, but I’ll take my chances.

We finished up eating and headed toward her doctor’s office next. She was so nervous, leg bobbing repeatedly as we sat in the waiting room. I laughed as I nudged her and she smiled apprehensively. I closed the magazine I was reading and touched her arm. “Everything is going to be okay.”

“I know,” she sighed. “But what if something’s wrong with them?” She touched her stomach and looked at me with worry.

“They’re going to be perfect. I promise.”

We both looked up when a nurse called her name and she stood, grabbing my hand as we walked down the hall. I squeezed it as we entered the room and the nurse said she could change. I stepped out and went back in when she told me to. My back leaned against the counter beside the cushioned bed she was laid on and she had her hands pressed to her stomach. The nurse came back in and grabbed rubber gloves, asking how Mindy was feeling and who she brought with her today.

The gel was squeezed onto her stomach and I could see the nerves in her eyes as she silently panicked, looking at the screen beside my head.

“Oh my gosh,” my eyes watered as the nurse pointed out the fingers and how the baby was positioned in Mindy’s belly. It was perfectly healthy, just like I promised. Mindy almost lost it when we heard the heartbeat and I just wished that Jasper were with her instead of me.

The nurse wiped off the gel a few minutes later while she printed the picture of the sonogram. “Would you like to know if you’re having a boy or girl?” She asked sweetly.

Mindy sniffed and nodded her head, never looking away from her protruding stomach. “Yes, please.”

“Congratulations on the baby boy, Mindy.” She handed over the picture from the printer and Mindy hugged it to her chest while she cried more.

The nurse stepped out again to let her change and Mindy hugged me tight around the shoulders right as the door shut. I was so happy for her. She wanted to wait until we were in the car to call Jasper with the news and I stepped outside again, following the nurse in so Mindy could answer the leftover questions she had.

We sat in the parking lot, listening to the dial tone as her phone rang. She grinned over at me when Jasper answered.

“How was it?” He asked, worried if we had bad news.

“They’re perfectly healthy and their little tiny fingers are adorable,” she smiled, looking down at the sonogram in her hand.

He chuckled and asked the most nerve-wracking question of today. “Are we having a handsome little me or a gorgeous little you?”

“You are so cheesy!” She blushed while laughing. “We’re having a boy.”

“What! Oh yes! You better give me that ten bucks when I get home.”

My laughter finally broke out. Married for two years and they’re making bets about if it’s a boy or a girl? They were possibly my favorite couple ever.

We stopped at a drive through since Mindy was hungry again and I dropped her off back home, hugging her slightly before she got out. She closed the door, but opened it again when she forgot something. “You better call John tonight.”

“Talk to you later,” I rolled my eyes before she smirked and closed the door again. She got inside safely and I drove down the street toward the grocery store. I spent a good half an hour there, looking for what I could make because I actually was going to call John– I just needed something to make first.

My fridge and pantry were restocked and I sat on the couch with my feet propped up on the coffee table for the rest of the afternoon, The Killers’ Hot Fuss record playing. I mostly spent it staring down at my phone in my lap, hands over my eyes because I couldn’t actually ask him out– or ask him over. It was a lot harder than Mindy made it to be. I braided and re-braided my hair about five times, shook my legs and arms out, somewhat slapped myself in the face and could only say about seven words.

“Come on, Andrea. You can do it.”

Eventually I gave up and had to leave for work. The car ride was quiet, causing me to pull my hair out since I was faced with just my thoughts. I grabbed my bag out of the passenger seat and locked the car behind me as I walked toward the backdoor.

My hands dropped on my bag from setting it down on the desk and I sighed. With closed eyes, I grabbed my phone from inside and unlocked it to the conversation with John that we last had.

“Fuck it,” I muttered, tapping away on the screen.

Dinner and movie at my place tomorrow night?

I left it in my bag so I wouldn’t be anxious about it and check it constantly throughout the night. Worry was still inside my chest during work, but I didn’t let it get to my head. Secretly, I was crossing my fingers with the hope I had left.

“You alright?” Dani asked curiously when the crowd died down for a few minutes.

I took my hand away from my mouth, chewing on my nails nervously. “Hmm? Oh, yeah,” I sighed, brushing my hair. “I basically swallowed my coyness and asked this guy out and now I’m really uneasy about his answer.” The shirt tied around my waist seemed a little tight, so I tugged on it.

“Aw. Do you want to go check?” She pointed over her shoulder with her thumb. “I can cover for you.”

“No, it’s okay. I can wait.”

Dani tilted her head to the side. “You sure?” I nodded, giving her a smile to thank her for being so generous about it even though I was just panicking.

The rest of the three hours passed and I stuck around after getting my paycheck. Dani was excited when Moby handed it over to her and she hugged him tight. He joked about it after she left, saying that she could squeeze harder than he could. I laughed a little with my feet up on the table and I shamefully put them down when he ordered me to put my chair up on the table and sweep the floor. I did as I was told and cleaned up before saying goodnight and grabbing my bag off the desk. Completely ignoring my phone, I drove home with the music up just in case he hadn’t answered me and it would vibrate in my bag.

To be honest, when I got home I didn’t want to look at my phone just yet. I threw my bag on the couch and went to my room to get my book. I sat up for an hour or two just reading and tapping my feet, knowing that I was going to break down if I didn’t look.

I groaned and put my book on the table, crossing my arms and staring stubbornly at my bag beside me.

Stop being so nervous and look at the goddamn phone!

Deep breath in and out. I opened my bag and dug to the bottom of it to find the device. My eyes opened after a brief second and I pushed the home button, seeing that he indeed texted me back. I unlocked it and peeked my eyes wide to read what it said.

I’ll be there at seven. See you then, Andy.

I sat back slowly, placing my phone in my lap before grabbing a pillow beside me and shrieking the most girlish noise ever.
♠ ♠ ♠
ALEX GASKARTH AND LISA RUOCCO GOT MARRIED AND IM SO FUCKING HAPPY
AND THEIR SONG WAS FOREVER AND I JUST DOWNLOADED THAT SONG LAST WEEK BECAUSE ITS UNCLE JESSE I MEAN COME ON
im still crying over it omfg

cool that i started with driving in this because i actually just got my license on monday. it's been a pretty good time lately and im stoked for the future because i really want to see how it all folds out.

im slowly, but surely, getting better.

diet soda society: :))))) thank you for reccommending along with WoahBroWoah

mindy's having a boy!!! her and jasper are adorable and im so stoked for them.

who else is stoked for john the ghost???

SONG REC:
weak by wet.
obsessed with this band and kelly's voice ughhhh

outfit: x