‹ Prequel: It's a Start

Shot in the Dark

Wednesday

Leah and Mindy squealed at the news that John had asked me out and they left around noon to get back to their homes. Leah made sure that I would be ready before Thursday when we had to leave and I assured her that I would be packed and fully rested to go. We weren’t even leaving until three in the afternoon. I’d be spending that time at her house, hanging around Connor so she could spend time with him as well. Brian was even planning on coming over with Nate. Nate was the little boy that hugged me at Connor’s birthday party and I spent some time with him as well as getting to know Gabby. Their older brother’s girlfriend was so delicate to life. She took care of Nate and did it all on her own. I felt bad for her loss.

Like I said, Big Moby was eager to get me to leave the bar Tuesday night. He did it with a smile, hugging me tight before I left. Dani said to have a safe trip and I hugged her as well, wishing her luck. Hopefully Moby wouldn’t give her a hard time with me gone. I was practically her safety net during her four hours of work.

I was on the phone with Mindy while I got ready for John to come pick me up. He’d be here any second and I adjusted my flannel, scanning my head for any strays. I’d gotten out of the shower about an hour ago and let my hair dry naturally, slight waves forming.

“Have fun on your date and call me when it’s over. I want to know everything and I mean everything.” Mindy said from the other side. I laughed, telling her I would and hung up. I sprayed a little perfume, just in case I smelt really bad.

The doorbell rang and I was thankful that the landlord came during the day yesterday to fix it because the ringing in my ears after it rang was annoying. I put my phone in my bag while I walked down the hall and opened the door to smile up at John. He hugged me and I turned the porch light on so I could see what I was doing when I got home.

The car ride was quiet apart from him complimenting my outfit, saying I looked pretty. A blushed crept up my neck and I looked over at the radio, listening to the CD play.

We showed up at the restaurant a few minutes later and he kept his hand at my back while the hostess led us to our table. I really hope he didn’t just take me here so he could pay because that was so not happening. This place seemed expensive.

And it was– fourteen dollars for eight mozzarella sticks. Okay, not getting those.

Our orders were in and I grew hungry, waiting for my pasta just after ordering it two minutes ago. John sipped his water and I leaned my elbows on the table. “Who was playing in your car? They sounded pretty good.”

“Band called Brighten. They’re actually friends too.” He laughed admittedly.

I smiled at his laugh. “I think you’re just friends with everyone.”

“I am a nice guy,” he shrugged casually. “You can borrow it if you want.”

He turned the subject away from him. “Really? Thank you.” I beamed when he nodded.

A few minutes passed, but the subject was still on me. “Are you excited to see Mickey Mouse?” It almost sounded like he was talking to a young kid. He leaned his arms on the table, coming in closer.

“Most definitely. We’re going to take selfies.” I stated certainly. John chuckled at my declaration. “In fact, we’ll take one like you do. Just half of our faces.” I motioned with my hand like I was cutting my face in half. He smiled at me under the dim lighting.

There was a small chatter throughout the building, couples sitting close to each other and other tables seating big families of more than four. They were cheering loudly, laughing and smiling with one another. I wonder if I had a big family like that. I knew I was Italian and that my mom was born in Italy, so did we have a big family? Did I have a grandfather that spoke fluent Italian? That’d be cool if I did.

My father on the other hand was Irish. Both of my parents were foreigners from what Craig told me.

John and I both backed away when our plates were set down in front of us and I grinned down at mine. It looked absolutely delicious. John had chicken Parmesan while I stuck with pasta, Marinara sauce and Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. Yes, I was basic, but whatever.

I laughed when John’s fork came into view while I was stabbing a few pieces and he speared a few also. He grinned innocently when I looked up at him, chewing what was in my mouth. I washed the food down with my drink and John was a chatterbox for the rest of dinner. When the check was set down on the table, he took out his wallet and I grabbed my bag to fish mine out, but he snatched the check before I could see what the total was.

“You are not paying for the whole thing, John.” I stared at him while he tugged the bills out. He didn’t answer me, just straightened them out and placed it back on the table. I frowned and took out a twenty-dollar bill to switch with his. He caught me while putting his jacket on and I laughed as I stood and handed him his money.

“You’re unbelievable,” he looked down at me while we stood in the short line to hand over the money.

“I’d feel bad if you paid for the whole thing.”

He laughed and we walked outside with full stomachs. He called after me when I started walking in the direction of his car and I stopped then followed him the other way. Was I going in the wrong direction?

I crossed my arms over my chest; his hands were in his pockets as we walked down the street. It was darker outside now, the night getting colder by the second. My boots kept my feet warm as they pushed against the hard rock under them. John mumbled that we were going to get beers and I nodded, glancing at him from the corner of my eye. He was also looking down at his feet.

He held the door open to the small bar and as we walked inside people started clapping. I then noticed the girl sitting up on the stage, smiling and standing from the microphone in front of her. John and I stopped by the counter so he could order us drinks and I read the sign on the wall. “Guitar and Stool Night!” My eyebrows creased a little and I looked back at the small stage area, watching the next person go up and sit on the wooden stool then pick up the acoustic guitar beside them.

John and I sat at a table against the wall, his chair facing away from the stage behind him. I thanked him for the beer and sipped it while listening to the guy sing a song I didn’t know. John turned in his chair to watch him too and I clapped when he finished the song.

“Who’s next?” The speaker asked with their own microphone, looking out at the filled tables. I looked behind me for someone, but no one wanted to go up. My eyes widened when I turned back and saw John holding his hand up.

“John,” I said quietly when he stood while everyone clapped. What the hell is he doing?

He stepped up on the stage and sat in the stool, picking up the guitar and running a hand through his hair. My eyes were still wide. “Um,” he cleared his throat. “I’ll be singing a song by classics tonight, even if the song may be cheesy for personal reasons.” He looked straight at me and I covered my face with my hands when I saw curious eyes looking around. Jesus, I was blushing more than I ever have.

“Oh yeah, I'll tell you something
I think you'll understand
When I'll say that something
I wanna hold your hand,” he sang while strumming the guitar with his eyes closed.

I grinned, hands pressed against my mouth and cheeks burning. John is singing this song about me and I can’t stop blushing. My head was shaking as I clapped along with everyone else when he finished and sat back down across from me. Some people were looking over at us just out of plain curiosity.

“I think I might just hate you right about now.”

He grinned uncontrollably against the bottle to his lips, “No you don’t.”

I took in a deep breath and smiled down at my lap, slightly squealing inside. My hand picked up the bottle and I sipped it, setting it down and catching a few water droplets. “You can hold my hand whenever you want, John,” I mumbled, keeping my eyes away from him while the next singer went up. His eyes were on me; I could feel them burning into my skull.

We left about ten minutes later and I purposefully didn’t cross my arms so he could take my hand, but he decided to shove his in his pockets once again. When I knew that he wouldn’t try, I crossed my arms and sighed a little when I got in his car. He started the engine, pulling away from the side of the street and continuing toward my house to drop me off.

It was a nice date, but you would think that he’d–

My thoughts came short when his right hand flew across the console to take my left one sitting in my lap. My heart picked up its beat and I could feel it in my brain. His long, calloused fingers pushed to fit in the spaces between my soft ones and that feeling came up in my stomach again. Please don’t puke. Please don’t puke. He slowed at the red light and I could’ve sworn he looked out his window with a grin. A smile spread on my face slowly and I squeezed his hand, looking out my window.

We both let go and got out of his car so he could walk me up to my door, but he stopped short. “Let me grab the CD for you.” I nodded and walked up to unlock the door and leave it open for him to come inside. I wanted so badly to text Mindy or call her and tell her that John fucking sang a song for me. It was the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me– that I remember.

My bag sat on the counter and I heard John close the door behind him. “Thanks,” I smiled down at the CD, reading it while walking over toward the record player and placing it in between that and the TV. John came up behind me and decided to play the record that was still sitting there from last week.

I laughed when he took my wrists again and started dancing with me to the second song. The song that I stopped at last time he was here. Within the thirty seconds, he slipped his hands down to take both of my mine this time. I grinned down at them and blushed as our moves started slowing down. John nudged his head with mine, chest close to my face and I looked up. He was smiling, almost smirking down at me.

Then it happened.

His hazel eyes glanced at my lips and I swear I lost my breath. It came back as he was bending down, intertwining our fingers at the same time. He finally kissed me a second later and my stomach was exploding with that feeling. The song was still playing, but the world just went quiet as he was kissing me. It was almost like the song was being played from another room.

He tasted sweet. Kind of like those strawberries Mindy was eating yesterday. I had a couple of them, but I’m pretty sure John tasted better, sweeter than they did.

He let go of my hands and touched my waist while mine touched his arms. My heart picked up again as I felt him move me backwards toward the couch. I honestly didn’t think I was breathing until it came out harshly as I sat on the arm of the couch. My hands slipped up to his shoulders and I pulled him down with me, my back meeting the cushions.

My heart was pounding. Even after he pulled away with a heavy breath, it was still thrashing in my chest. He smiled down at me like he’d wanted to do that since we first met. Did he? I didn’t ask– I just let my hands slip away from him and watched him get up. The record was already on the fifth song.

I laughed to myself and brushed my hair back before sitting up. He was standing in front of me, a few feet away and brushing his hair back with the same amazed smile. I stood quietly and moved to turn the record off for now. John was looking at me when I turned around.

“I should probably head out; let you get some rest before leaving tomorrow.” I nodded, smiling small to thank him for being thoughtful. We walked toward the door and he hugged me around my waist. “I’ll call you tomorrow,” he said right by my ear before kissing my cheek and walking outside to his car. I closed the door and leaned my forehead against it, beaming while closing my eyes and thinking to myself how great this night really was.

I skipped to my room with my bag and CD in hand. My nerves were still up as I called Mindy and put the CD in my computer to sync it.

“He brought you home this early?” Mindy questioned seriously. I laughed and leaned against my pillow, covering my smile. “So, how great was it?”

“Better than great, Mindy.” I sighed, astonished for a minute.

“That great huh?”

“That great,” I confirmed. “We went to dinner, some new Italian restaurant–“

“What! Babe, Andy fucking went to that restaurant that just opened! I told you we should’ve went.” I heard her yell, then Jasper’s chuckle. He was probably right beside her.

“Anyways,” I interrupted with a grin. “We went to the bar down the street and there were people singing on the stage. It was guitar and stool night or something and, Mindy, he went up there and sang a song for me.”

“Oh my God,” she squealed. “That’s so cute!” I laughed at her opinion, going on to tell her about the activity that just happened about a minute ago. Squeals, again.
♠ ♠ ♠
i know i know its been like a month since the last chapter, but im back and hopefully i'll be updating more

on a more serious note is brighten ever going to put out more stuff cause i need it
i'm stoked for covers side b tomorrow and i am really curious as to what bitch better have my money will sound like lol the shania cover is gonna kill me

i graduate high school tomorrow

i'd really love some more feedback!! :))
also thank you for recommending isabelaptv!

SONG REC:
girl, say by vacation manor
(my fav)

outfit: x