Status: A long work in progress. I still need Ivanov to get back to me.

Reunion

The Note

This time, he drove.

He turned off the music in the car as soon as it came on, and they drove in silence. Excitement gnawed on her bones. This was it.

Sudden realization dawned on her as they descended from the hills into the city.

This might be the time he kills her.

At least she left Noel a note.

---

It had been hours since Nikki left in a cloud of dust. Noel found himself standing outside of her room, running a hand through his black hair.

On one hand, he wanted to know what the hell she was doing, and the note she promised him was bound to say everything he was wondering about.

On the other hand, she could come back at any minute, pissed off, and this whole incident would be a moot point.

But she may not tell him what had been going on, even if she did come back.

What if she didn't come back?

He finally bit the bullet and tried the doorknob, expecting it to be locked.

It wasn't.

He walked into her room, surprised at its neatness, and sure enough, there was a folded sheet of paper on the bed.

"Noel," it read, "I'm guessing that I haven't been gone longer than a few hours by the time you read this. All I ask, is that if you do see me again, that you don't bring this incident up. Ever. I don't know if I could bear it."

He sat on the bed and continued to read.

"Ivanov isn't dead. He's alive, or someone pretending to be him is. I've tracked him down, and no, I'm not telling you where. If it's an impostor, I'll be back once he's dead. If it's him, I might not ever come back. Either he'll kill me, or I'll join him. You know, probably better than anyone else except Jacqui, that I can't exist apart from him in a world that he's still in. Not yet. Maybe not ever, but especially not now.

"I love you. I love The Colonel. I love what we've built. But none of that can mean anything to me until this is resolved.

"If I don't come back, I'm sorry."

At the bottom of the note, she had scrawled her name.

Nichole Autumn Ivanov
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow. Two updates in one night.

I hate nightmares. And I hate that I woke Nikki up from her nearly year long hibernation. She's gonna leave me angsty for a month or so. I hope you enjoyed this, whoever you are.

~J