Status: A long work in progress. I still need Ivanov to get back to me.

Reunion

Aftermath

Her jaw clenched painfully to hold in her scream of absolute frustration. Rage rocked her to her foundation before she discovered the tears dripping down her face. She smudged them across her cheekbones with a trembling hand.

This was an elaborate trick.

A sob burst forth from her chest with force to nearly crack her ribs. She bit her tongue and tasted blood, only inflaming her ache for him. Her whole body shook and she screamed, a primal cry of fury and denial and pain and desire for the impossible. It echoed through the compound, traveling like a banshee's wail, striking fear in every heart it clawed past.

~

Noel and the Colonel looked at each other across the desk.

“Nikki.”

They stood in unison and rushed to her room, only to find the door locked. Another loud harpy scream issued forth from behind the door, followed by weaker keening and pained sobs.

“Christ. She had another nightmare.” McReilly muttered, trying the door again, “Nikki. Let me in.”

They jumped as something thudded solidly against the door.

“Leave me the fuck alone!” she demanded. There was a wildness in her voice that chilled Noel. Her composure was completely gone. This was a fit of unrestricted passions. He looked at the Colonel hesitantly.

“Nikki, open this goddamned door or I'll-”

The door flew open.

“Or you'll what?” her voice was raw and every simple syllable was a threat. Deep red tears and mascara were smeared down her face and across her cheeks. Her knuckles were the same black and red mess, but her eyes. Dear god, her eyes...

The Colonel had seen her furious before, several times, actually, but those paled in comparison to the rage in those eyes now. This was hellfire, the fury of demons and the righteous rage of angels. He had seen her cry before, had seen her weep. This sadness was deeper than oceans, stretched further than galaxies. He had seen her hurt, god knows he had seen her hurt, but this was so deep and acute that he had to look away, but found he couldn't.

“Oh my god...” Noel's whisper broke their eye contact as she snapped her gaze to him.

“Oh, you too?” She asked, her tone scathing and sizzling.

“Nikki, please talk to us.” He pleaded.

“Fuck off.”

The door slammed and bolted.

McReilly sighed.

“Come on, Noel. There's no use.” He placed a gentle hand on Noel's shoulder. Another scream made him flinch, and there was a curious paleness to his voice when he spoke again, “She'll come around. Let her ride it out.”

“Are you sure? It doesn't-”

“You missed the last one. PTSD is a bitch. Come on. I could use a drink.”

Noel looked back just in time to see the door bow outward as she flung something at it with a loud curse and a bang. He begrudgingly followed the Colonel down the hallway.
♠ ♠ ♠
There's another chapter coming once Nikki comes to her senses. That may be a while. She's a bit of a handful.

~J