Status: A long work in progress. I still need Ivanov to get back to me.

Reunion

The Argument

She had gotten her revenge on the magician. Her Dogs had cornered him in an alley and taken out a great deal of pent-up frustration on him with baseball bats and brass knuckles. Nichole had watched, smiling, from a fire escape. When they were done, she descended and whispered a threat into the magician's ear. He had just nodded and scurried from the alley. After that was over with, she had another meeting with Timothy, the proprietor of the dive bar.

She would open for Ivanov's act that night. Well, 'open' was a generous term, considering that she was only singing the one song. It was to be framed as her introduction to Las Vegas' nighttime entertainment crowd. It was really more of a reintroduction, to him specifically.

Now, she was packing a bag with tonight's outfit. There was no way she was walking through that part of town in anything less than war wear. The heels were in a plastic bag at the bottom of the backpack, under a flimsy lace garter and silk dress. A smaller bag contained her makeup and an almost empty bottle of perfume. She slung the bag over a shoulder and started out of the compound.

Noel stopped her at the front door.

“Where are you going?”

“Back into town. Why?”

“Nikki, you've gone every night for the last week. You never leave this often. Where have you been going?”

“I told you-”

“We're worried. You're having more nightmares and you brought the Dogs back with one fewer than you left with, and the others look even worse than usual.”

“That's none of your concern.”

“Yes, it is. If you're doing anything that could get us noticed by the locals-”

“I've spoken to them and they have no idea that you or the Colonel are here. They think it's just me.”

“Nikki, what if word gets out-”

“It won't. If it does, we'll deal with it. I'll deal with it.”

“Why is this so important to you?”

“You'll see if the time's ever right. For now, just trust me.”

He sighed. She was too damned stubborn.

“At least let me come with you.”

“I can't.”

“And just why not?”

“This is something I have to do on my own. If I don't come back, there's a note on my bed.”

“If you-! Nikki!” He stammered. This was too much.

“Noel. Trust me. It's nothing like what you're thinking.”

“Then what is it?”

“I can't tell you.” Her tone was steel.

“Can't tell him what?” The Colonel's gruff voice joined the conversation before he did, strolling up in his fatigue pants and white wife-beater shirt. A cigarette hung, unlit, from a corner of his mouth.

Nikki groaned.
“I don't have time for this. Follow me and I'll find a way to make you more miserable than you've ever dreamed.” She stormed out of the door, slamming it behind her.

“The hell was that about?” McReilley grunted.

“She's off to do something stupid and I don't think there's any way to help her.” Noel was concerned.

“Well, then fuck...” The Colonel lit his cigarette.

“If you need me, I'll be in my study.”

“Yeah.”

Noel walked off, frowning, while the Colonel glared at the door. He heard tires throwing gravel as they sped away from the bunker. A cloud of smoke crawled from his lungs and hung in the air.

“Stupid girl.”

He turned on his heel and went back to the mess hall.
♠ ♠ ♠
Probably about to crank out the next chapter here in the next few minutes. Please, if you read this, leave me some feedback. That's the only reason this is getting posted here.