Through Their Eyes

Rage

“Do you know who your soulmate is?” The young girl asks. She was nervous as she sits next to me on the small sofa of my waiting room. I nod with a warm smile. “Have you met him?” She asks.

I shake my head no. “It is not our time.”

The girl looks at me funny, she’s only sixteen. Her idea of love came from fairy tales, and cheesy movies. I sit with my hands out, palms up, in front of her. She places her hands palm down, on mine.

“He’s traveling.” I offer further explanation. “I am terrified of flying. I wouldn’t want to stop him from doing what he loves.”

“Do you love him?” She asks. I smile, but don’t respond. I think I do. I’ve seen the world through his eyes and it is beautiful.

“Do you see anything?” The young girl asks impatiently. She was excited, they always were. I hold her hands tight, I close my eyes and wait for the visions.

“We’re on a field,” I start, the girl quivers with excitement. “He’s dribbling a ball, a soccer ball. There’s a man with him. The man is tall, with blonde hair.” I pause for a moment, taking in the scene around me. “It looks like there’s a fair across the parking lot; tents lined up, filling the lot, and lots of people are walking around.”

“Oh my God!” The girl says excitedly. She let’s go of my hands, causing me to lose the vision. “There’s a fair at the high school today.” She says as she turns to her friend.

“Let’s go!” Her friend says, grabbing their jackets and dashing for the door.

I shake my head at them as they go. The young ones were the hardest for me to reveal; so naïve and unprepared for what to expect. I walk to the front door and watch as the girls run down the street, until they disappear. I flip the sign to “Closed” and lock the door. I turn the lights off and begin blowing out candles, cleaning up before disappearing to my apartment above for the evening.

The results were usually good, but there are the times every so often that are not. I think the misconception of a soulmate is that once you find them, you’ll be happy with them forever, but that’s not true, not everyone loves their soulmate. The universe works in mysterious ways, and sometimes it’s just a matter of having the wrong timing.

I’m often asked why I am alone when I could go out and find him. Sometimes I even wonder for myself, but I am a firm believer in everything happens for a reason, and my time will come.

I start towards the stairs when a loud crashing sounds from the front room. I run out to find shattered glass covering the wood floor, a gaping hole in my store window, and an angry man standing out front with a baseball bat.

“She’s married.” He says, his face red with anger. “I went all the way to Florida for her, and she’s married. Happily too, apparently.” He says. He was drunk, I could tell as his words slurred.

“I can’t see everything.” I say calmly. “Please leave before I call the police.” I say as I step towards the front counter, where the store phone sat.

“Call them, I don’t care.” He says as he raises his bat. I feel bad for the man. Another lonely soul looking for his match. He swings the bat, hitting the other window. I quickly pick up the phone and dial the police.