Scandal in the House of Titan

Molly In Charge

Jack and I decide to go to Luna’s bonfire, timidly holding hands as we walk through the back gate to see most of our drag family happily chatting and filling red cups with whatever liver-annihilating concoction Luna has put together. A few people cheer when they see us, pulling us closer to the fire pit and putting cups in our hands. Luna squeals and throws her arms around my shoulders.

“I’m so glad you guys came!” She cries, clearly a little drunk already. She moves over to Jack who politely kisses her cheek and takes a sip of his drink, wincing as he swallows.

“Jesus Christ, Luna, the lighter fluid goes in the fire, not our cups,” he coughs.

Pax, one of the house dancers, holds up a half-empty bottle of 151. “We’re gonna die,” he says calmly.

“Better to drink ourselves to death together before Dee murders us on Sunday!” Luna shouts, taking another big gulp from her cup. Jack disappears into Luna’s house and returns with a carton of orange juice, topping off everyone’s drinks except Luna who defiantly chugs the rest of hers. I take her by the hand and sit in one of the folding lawn chairs, pulling her onto my lap, keeping her from stumbling around near the fire.

“You don’t have to treat me like a baby, Grace!” She yells, “but I kinda like it,” she concedes quietly, resting her head in the crook of my neck. Jack shakes his head and laughs, sitting beside me.

Conversation carries on over top of the flickering flames until Pax pulls out his phone and drops his cup onto the grass, splashing 151 and OJ all over his shoes.

“Uhhhh, guys?” He shouts, trying to get everyone’s attention. “Have you seen Dee’s post on Facebook?”

He holds out his phone. The people beside him look over. Luna pulls out hers and gets on Facebook. I peek over her shoulder. Dee has just posted a photo with her friend Desi Disaster whom she is visiting this weekend. The caption reads: Thrilled to announce I will be calling Club X home as of this weekend. See ya, Olympus! Goodbyes are messy!

“The bitch left us?!” Luna screams. She begins to laugh and everyone joins in, a weird sense of relief to not have to deal with our overbearing, drama-obsessed ring leader. People begin pouring more drinks.

“She’s gone! She’s finally gone!”

“Bye biiiitch!”

“Luna lives to see another day!”

Amidst all the exclamations of joy Jack, of course, has to be the voice of reason.

“Uh, what the hell are we going to do without our show director?” He calls out. Everyone falls silent.

“You should be our director!” Pax replies.

“Yeah!”

“Mo-lly! Mo-lly! Mo-lly!”

Jack looks taken aback and nervously agrees to take over directing, flashing me a look of panic over top of his red cup that he holds to his lips until he drinks every last drop.